Recruiting AFL Trade & Free Agency XII - 💰💰💰

Remove this Banner Ad

Harry Sharp and James Tunstill two others. I like the Jaxon Prior one. I suggested him earlier in the year. Has proven he can play at AFL level.

We have no problem finding key defenders, we just have trouble keeping them on the park and then developing them into something more than passable AFL players.

Ideally next year, if everyone is fit should see the key back situation like this;

KPD1; Ben McKay
KPD2; Zac Reid

KPD3; Jayden Laverde

KPD4; Lewis Hayes

Then we have to decide if we want to push Laverde down the pecking order and go for depth or go for youth and pad out the bottom of this list. With the injury history to Reid,I agree that a mature option is more likely

Is Ridley ever going to be "let off the chain" ? he is 7 years in and we are still saying this. when does it happen? Numerous coaches and they all do the same thing with Jordan

How important is Reid to us, god I hope he gets a run at it.

I'd prefer Baldwin as KPD3, but not sure he gets another year.

The kicking ha not be ironed out as such. More he doesn’t kick when he runs flat out or doesn’t try and kick more than 40 meters. Modified his game is more like it .
Will be interesting to see how it translates to AFL level.
Sounds like Shiel, who is looking 10x better playing within his capabilities

Parish+2MP to Pies for 30+F1st (we can pay up to 50% of contract)
Stringer+30 to Dees for 38+43+49
Shiel+9 to Saints for 5+46 (Might be willing if they get band 1 for Battle)

5, 29, 38, 43, 46, 49

5+Kako and 2x 2025 1st rounders, not bad.
Pies just gave up a first (looking like top 10) and second round pick for Schultz...

Ive said we won't make wholesale changes but the good news is that al large number of guys who won't be around for any sort of push are out of contract this year.

Current out of contract guys are;

Gone - Kaine Baldwin
1 year - Alwyn Davey Jnr
Gone - Jayden Davey
Gone - Todd Goldstein
Gone - Matt Guelfi
Retired - Dyson Heppell
Gone - Nick Hind
2 years - Harry Jones
Gone - Jake Kelly
Gone - Will Setterfield
1 year - Jake Stringer
Gone - Sam Weidemann

Gone - Jaiden Hunter
Gone - Wanganeen

10 list changes easily, makes room for some young FA's or hit the draft by trading out a Hobbs, Tsatas, Parish as well and improving on the back end of our draft hand.

Currently hold picks
First rounder; 9
Second rounder; 29 (this blows out with Kako bid matched)
THENNN

Late round; 83 which would come in)

So we either load up with rookies which we like doing, SSP signings &/or run the list short and opt for mid season opening before he season begins.
Cutting that deep into the list strikes me as short sighted, we won’t have many good draft picks and there’s not many free agents available that are a marked improvement over some of the guys you are proposing to let go.

Ive said we won't make wholesale changes but the good news is that al large number of guys who won't be around for any sort of push are out of contract this year.

Current out of contract guys are;

Gone - Kaine Baldwin
1 year - Alwyn Davey Jnr
Gone - Jayden Davey
Gone - Todd Goldstein
Gone - Matt Guelfi
Retired - Dyson Heppell
Gone - Nick Hind
2 years - Harry Jones
Gone - Jake Kelly
Gone - Will Setterfield
1 year - Jake Stringer
Gone - Sam Weidemann

Gone - Jaiden Hunter
Gone - Wanganeen

10 list changes easily, makes room for some young FA's or hit the draft by trading out a Hobbs, Tsatas, Parish as well and improving on the back end of our draft hand.

Currently hold picks
First rounder; 9
Second rounder; 29 (this blows out with Kako bid matched)
THENNN

Late round; 83 which would come in)

So we either load up with rookies which we like doing, SSP signings &/or run the list short and opt for mid season opening before he season begins.

I’d love someone to run the demographic maths on this and spit out just how inexperienced the list would be if we did all that and then brought in 9 teenagers.

‘Here you go Brad, here’s some kids you didn’t want and won’t play’.

He’ll have a list of about 26 people to pick from if everyone is fully fit.

Considering Martin has barely been able to get on the park with injury I think you can scratch him off any list.
Davies is a waste of a spot.
Daniel is a older player who's small and lacks the ability to defend, pass on bringing that into the club, the kicking skill is attractive but you would prefer a couple more weapons athletically.
Disagree re: Davies. We could bring him in as a big body and get more consistency out of him than Setterfield. His draft notes are impressive but GC's midfield has consistently been stacked, not allowing him a consistent run at it. He could actually be excellent value.

Trac could be a great get if we trade parish and shiel. Leadership, midfield bull who likes to play forward. Upgrade on stringer and could teach the younger mids in hobbs, tsatsas and perkins. but i doubt we have the draft value to get him.

Im interested in Jack Carroll (Carlton) and Joe Richards (Collingwood) both OOC, both have qualities we lack (Good disposal, good tanks, clever)

Strong, decisive action needed.

This list is nowhere.

Not competitive and not young.

Are we trying to win a flag?

Some bold decisions will need to be made this off-season… Let’s see what you’ve got, Rosa.

I don’t see any alternative but to shop some of our highest-paid and contracted players to get elite picks / youth in, and try to build a great side.

Keep the leaders and the heart (Merrett, McGrath, Caldwell, Durham)… keep our better youth (Caddy, Tsatas, Hobbs, Hayes, Roberts)… everything and everybody else has to be on the table in looking toward a premiership in the next five years.

Merrett will lead it - he’s 28 and a complete pro.

**** gearing up for another 7th or 8th place finish.

Sounds like Shiel, who is looking 10x better playing within his capabilities
Shiel never had a bad ball drop. His was more he just needed to slow down to 95%

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we're prepared to overspend on a player like Petracca, then I'd rather we take that energy to Harley Reid. I obviously don't believe we can afford to miss out on draft picks over the next two years, but chasing Petracca is a waste of time. Reid is not leaving West Coast any time soon, but it's playing the long game. He should be our next major trade target unless a young KPF becomes available.

With Tassie coming, perhaps West Coast might want to pull the trigger if they believe he is leaving at the end of his contract, although I don't know what the new contract rules mean for contracted draftees.

I’d love someone to run the demographic maths on this and spit out just how inexperienced the list would be if we did all that and then brought in 9 teenagers.

‘Here you go Brad, here’s some kids you didn’t want and won’t play’.

He’ll have a list of about 26 people to pick from if everyone is fully fit.
to be fair, bar Stringer how many of the ones I listed are a) important that cant be replaced and b) in an age demographic that will hold us in good stead medium - long term anyways?

I really hope we don't go down the Petracca path, I'd much rather the club aims to drag Harley Reid out of Perth. What he is doing at 19 in the midfield is remarkable. He is definitely a generational player and he would do more for Essendon than Petracca would imo.

to be fair, bar Stringer how many of the ones I listed are a) important that cant be replaced and b) in an age demographic that will hold us in good stead medium - long term anyways?
That’s not being fair because it ignores the need for mature bodies who can run out games, regardless of whether they’re likely to be part of any long term plans

That’s not being fair because it ignores the need for mature bodies who can run out games, regardless of whether they’re likely to be part of any long term plans
it means we back in what is currently in the AFL and although not doing the job, Scott is backing in.

All well and good to say they can’t be replaced but you’re taking Brad’s crutch away.

A couple of ITK posters on Woof.net are saying Sam Darcy definitely won’t be staying at the doggies beyond next year and is likely to take up a monster contract from a vic rival.

Mentioning Collingwood, Hawks and Essendon as the big 3 to look out for.

Being a F/S and having Luke on the board makes this hard to believe but it’s apparently 100% true.

Also mentioned Lloyd has been doing heaps of work behind the scenes.

I hate that we had such a shit end to the season because I thought we could have genuinely convinced him to come here. But with Hawks dominating he seems likely he would probably want to choose them.
No their not, this is straight up misinformation.
I'm a very active member on WOOF and I've searched the entire site, including some boards you probably don't have access to. Mofra (mod here and over on WOOF) has also confirmed this in our own Trade thread.

Not a single post about Darcy leaving for a monster offer anywhere else.

It's one thing to speculate, like we all do, but spreading straight up fake info is wrong.

Last edited:
TheUnicorn
bored waiting GIF

Remove this Banner Ad

Recruiting AFL Trade & Free Agency XII - 💰💰💰

Remove this Banner Ad

Back