Recruiting AFL Trade & Free Agency XII - 💰💰💰

Remove this Banner Ad

McKay stating he won't leave to Melbourne effectively means Carlton and Collingwood are out of the race. I have a sinking feeling that Essendon will be the next option. Hopefully Hawthorn is a more attractive prospect for him over us, though they're probably out of the race given they're chasing Barrass.

If Petracca signals his desire to join Essendon, can Essendon resist the temptation of stopping a possible declining membership? Will they think "we're 20K members behind the other big 4 with no way to bridge that gap without a marquee trade?"

I'd do Petracca for Parish + Wright, but I'll give up if we're giving away any of our first rounders.

Last edited:

McKay stating he won't leave to Melbourne effectively means Carlton and Collingwood are out of the race. I have a sinking feeling that Essendon will be the next option. Hopefully Hawthorn is a more attractive prospect for him over us, though they're probably out of the race given they're chasing Barrass.

If Petracca signals his desire to join Essendon, can Essendon resist the temptation of stopping a possible declining membership? Will they think "we're 20K members behind the other big 4 with no way to bridge that gap without a marquee trade?"

I'd do Petracca for Parish + Wright, but I'll give up if we're giving away any of our first rounders.
If Petracca signals his desire to join us, it's because we've already committed to trading for him.

Trac+38+43+49 for Parish, Wright and 8

We still get Kako and keep our F1st. I don't hate it and IMO we're a better front half team with Trac and Kako in it.

Demons likely wouldn't want to do that deal fwiw.
I wouldn't do that deal. I would do Petracca for Parish, Wright + Cox/Jones because I don't believe we can play both of them in the same team. We were given a leg up with Kako and I don't want to see us waste it with Tassie coming in.

2 years for Jake the speculation on Trade Radio, :huh:

Played all 23 games coming off very little pre season, 2nd in the goal kicking, as good as mirroring his 2016 season in terms of stats, he's got an argument for wanting 2.

It's stick or twist, you're either trading him or he's in it for the long haul so whether it's 1 or 2 or 3, it doesn't really matter.

I know 30 is more like 90 if you're an Essendon player but he could play for another 4 years quite easily.

Not to be a hard arse but trac seems a bit of a drama queen... What happened to the days of losing a kidney in black and white and saying oh well...then playing 300 games..

Sounds like he's found a decent vehicle to get out of a losing club, not sure another losing club will suffice

I think the injury thing was the straw that broke the camels back, if he's been trying to shift the culture in a direction he believes is the right path and people are no longer listening to him then why would he stay, He's a huge basketball/American sports fan, 'brand' is big for his sporting heroes, players who demand perfection and commitment, he and Merrett would be great friends I think, both cut from the same cloth.

And that's commitment from himself and his teammates/club to be the best version of themselves, he's holding up his end, are they?

No trade will get done. He’ll stay at Melbourne.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All the talk about Petracca has been 'big club' and Collingwood and Carlton are the only ones mentioned. I think we also need to be realistic that we are not viewed as a big club/attractive destination by most.

Both those teams are also in window having won a flag or finals recently and expecting to contend. Essendon is a 10th seed that hasn’t won much of anything with their attempts at topping up the last decade or two.

If they were good they’d be considered a spot

Trading in Petracca does nothing for us imo. Makes us a bit better short term. He probably comes in and wins a bnf or 2, but how much team success will be have with the current list. There is no Band-Aid to this list build
The bigger issue is trading off the long term improvement we want through the draft for a short term sugar hit.

If it’s some clapped out star like Parker you aren’t giving up much draft capital to get the culture improvement that player hopefully brings

Maybe a 3 way deal
Melbourne - DP3, 2MP and Perkins - Demons had no back up ruck except for Tom Sparrow
Carlton - Petracca and Melbourne's F2
Essendon - McKay, picks #45 and #51

Trading in Petracca does nothing for us imo. Makes us a bit better short term. He probably comes in and wins a bnf or 2, but how much team success will be have with the current list. There is no Band-Aid to this list build
I think us fans understand this, but the club are desperate to win 1 final, the decisions we make are based on this objective, does Petracca help us win 1 final in 2025?

The days without a finals win meme, lives rent free in the clubs head.

Don't think Petracca will happen, but could he be like a Luke Hodge to the Lions situation for us?? Help improve leadership/standards on/off the field and help with the clubs culture long term
The Hawks wanted to move Hodge on though came at no real cost.

If that was what is was costing us in a heart beat yes. But Melboune want to keep him and are asking a lot to make it happen so that pretty much rules it out for us.

Richmond is massive 🤷‍♂️

Petracca is the shiny new toy that everyone is seduced by this year. We don't need him. The price will be incredibly steep.

If we trade him in we'll be mortgaging our future and come July all of you will be bitching about the price we paid to get him.

Wait. Harry?

Remove this Banner Ad

Recruiting AFL Trade & Free Agency XII - 💰💰💰

Remove this Banner Ad

Back