Recruiting AFL Trade & Free Agency XII - 💰💰💰

Remove this Banner Ad

It is short sighted. Different story if we where playing finals and needed a bloke to consolidate top 4 . It is a sugar hit. Great player but he will be 29 in Jan next year and you would want to be in the top 4 window in the next few years if you are going to give up what he will cost.
Agree. But we genuinely missed a great opportunity to actually finish top 4 this season.

I have issues with the talent on our list but my main issue is our mentality, our guys have more to give when it gets hard.

How many of our guys walk taller if Petracca is streaming out of the middle of the MCG with our crowd up and about?

Can an uber elite guy make others believe? I think that answer is yes.

Agree. But we genuinely missed a great opportunity to actually finish top 4 this season.

I have issues with the talent on our list but my main issue is our mentality, our guys have more to give when it gets hard.

How many of our guys walk taller if Petracca is streaming out of the middle of the MCG with our crowd up and about?

Can an uber elite guy make others believe? I think that answer is yes.
He would be a trendy new wallpaper.
Cracks. What cracks.
We have to fix the basics first. Your plan of trade everyone was better than trade everything for Petracca. :)

How deep do we think we'll cut our list?

Imagine at minimum Weideman is gone as well. Goldy might retire? I'd like to see Kelly delisted but doubt it happens. Jayden Davey verdict?
I don't know why we don't cull it a little harder then what some may think! Parish and Shiel coming back into the B22 impacted Durham's output and it was evident in the last 5-6 weeks. I'd start there with the mids (outside of the clear option of shopping Hobbs). Our starting mids should be Merrett, Caldwell and Durham as that worked well for the first half of the year. I know a few of you will laugh at shopping Parish but really, I just feel like his output isn't damaging enough for how the game is played today. And I know he's got a lengthy and $$$ current deal so that's an issue.

Kelly - cut
Laverde - shop him around, if not keep him for another year.
Weideman - cut
Perkins - shop him around, he's surplass to our needs now
Menzie - cut

I'd also seriously consider shopping Wright around to a club that needs a key forward. He either needs the biggest preseason of his life to get back his form or we move past him and create a forward line around Caddy. Collingwood and Melbourne are screaming for someone!

Trading for Petracca would be as stupid as the Shiel trade.
Perfect reference point

Totally agree. It’s the dumbest idea.

Harry McKay tho… I’d be into him. Would immediately make the forward line dangerous by giving a growing Caddy second defender. Langford gets the third. Perkins as a utility. Jones an option.

Small forwards away from glory.

Also in 12 months time you can try get similar type players to Petracca for no draft capital loss

Im all for trading

Parish, H.Jones/2MP, Stringer

for him, but im not going any further

The best thing about missing finals with this situation arising is that i think it would be a whole lot different if we made it

If we're keeping Stringer for two years then I'd be tempted to see what we could get for Langford. Not sold on the forward line ever functioning that well with both.

Have noticed Langford dropping into defence at the end of quarters and generally popping up in places other than the fwd 50. His versatility still holds him in good stead

It could function if Stringer was fit

If he won’t get fit why keep him
Have noticed Langford dropping into defence at the end of quarters and generally popping up in places other than the fwd 50. His versatility still holds him in good stead

I don't disagree. I'm just coming from a place of wanting to hit the draft hard and Langford is the type who could garner a lot of interest.

Our forward 50 is also too top heavy and we need to make room for pace/crumbing/preasure types.

That said I don't think this will happen.

I don't disagree. I'm just coming from a place of wanting to hit the draft hard and Langford is the type who could garner a lot of interest.

Our forward 50 is also too top heavy and we need to make room for pace/crumbing/preasure types.

As long as we can put Kako and 2 other small nippy types around Wright/Draper, Stringer, Langford and Caddy

I completely get the logic of Baldwin being too injury prone to keep on the list, but what gives me pause is the idea that Weid might get another year as depth. The thing of it is, Weid has shown he simply isn't up to AFL level. Not only is he not up to it, he was a liability out there for us.

If Baldwin was around another year, injured for 20 rounds, and only got on the park twice, well...that would still be two decent contributions more than we will get from Weid all year next year.

I'll take injury prone and good over fit and clueless every day of the week. The former will sometimes help, the latter will always harm. See also: Jake Kelly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tsatas, our second rounder and future first + some gourmet pasta from the health food aisle for Christian Petracca

I completely get the logic of Baldwin being too injury prone to keep on the list, but what gives me pause is the idea that Weid might get another year as depth. The thing of it is, Weid has shown he simply isn't up to AFL level. Not only is he not up to it, he was a liability out there for us.

If Baldwin was around another year, injured for 20 rounds, and only got on the park twice, well...that would still be two decent contributions more than we will get from Weid all year next year.

I'll take injury prone and good over fit and clueless every day of the week. The former will sometimes help, the latter will always harm. See also: Jake Kelly.

Weideman has been quite decent in the VFL. Baldwin has AFAIK played 0 games.

So no, it's not 'always harm'.

Ideally I think we need something like

Two small fwds ( Isaac Kako/Joe Berry/Jess Dattoli/Oscar smartt)
One class user -( Murphy Reid/Xavier Lindsay)
One marking tall (Jobe Shanahan/Jack Whitlock

Then looking at our draft hand of 8 & 28 I have some doubts ;)

If it gets to say pick 15 and Kako is still yet to be bid on, id hope we offer 2 x 2nds for that pick

Trading in Petracca does nothing for us imo. Makes us a bit better short term. He probably comes in and wins a bnf or 2, but how much team success will be have with the current list. There is no Band-Aid to this list build
I disagree, our problem is not our depth, it’s having elite star power. Full fit season on petracca would put this list around the top 6. Other than Merrett our list is mostly other b graders that sometimes pose as a graders but other times play as c graders.

We would probably need to find some users across half back not an huge concern if Reid and Ridley are fit, and hope that kako can come in straight away and play small forward.

I disagree, our problem is not our depth, it’s having elite star power. Full fit season on petracca would put this list around the top 6. Other than Merrett our list is mostly other b graders that sometimes pose as a graders but other times play as c graders.

We would probably need to find some users across half back not an huge concern if Reid and Ridley are fit, and hope that kako can come in straight away and play small forward.
There are specific aspects of our game that are what let us down. Kicking inside 50, defensive transition etc. Petracca does very little to actually address those so his overall impact on our performance is probably not massive for the outlay required

I don't know why we don't cull it a little harder then what some may think! Parish and Shiel coming back into the B22 impacted Durham's output and it was evident in the last 5-6 weeks. I'd start there with the mids (outside of the clear option of shopping Hobbs). Our starting mids should be Merrett, Caldwell and Durham as that worked well for the first half of the year. I know a few of you will laugh at shopping Parish but really, I just feel like his output isn't damaging enough for how the game is played today. And I know he's got a lengthy and $$$ current deal so that's an issue.

Kelly - cut
Laverde - shop him around, if not keep him for another year.
Weideman - cut
Perkins - shop him around, he's surplass to our needs now
Menzie - cut

I'd also seriously consider shopping Wright around to a club that needs a key forward. He either needs the biggest preseason of his life to get back his form or we move past him and create a forward line around Caddy. Collingwood and Melbourne are screaming for someone!
We only recently re-signed Menzie FYI.

I highly doubt that Murphy Reid falls to our pick. He's absolute class.
You could plug him straight into half forward and he will make things happen.
Would like to see it though.

That's why I hope the club consider offers for players like Langford, Ridley, Parish etc.

It could function if Stringer was fit

If he won’t get fit why keep him
I don't think it was a question around his fitness this year, it actually looked to be his desire to impact every week for the full duration of the game. He'd only want to impact in bursts and we all know he's a confidence player.

We only recently re-signed Menzie FYI.
In this day and age of trading/list management, I don't think that really counts for much. I'm sure it'd raise a few eyebrows in the media but they'd forget quickly. Plus, at the time of signing him it looked promising but the supporters now see he brings very little the team in terms of impact and he's been given PLENTY of games to show what he's capable of. Cut him loose and move on, we need to be more ruthless!

Remove this Banner Ad

Recruiting AFL Trade & Free Agency XII - 💰💰💰

Remove this Banner Ad

Back