Recruiting AFL Trade & Free Agency XII - 💰💰💰

Remove this Banner Ad

In this day and age of trading/list management, I don't think that really counts for much. I'm sure it'd raise a few eyebrows in the media but they'd forget quickly. Plus, at the time of signing him it looked promising but the supporters now see he brings very little the team in terms of impact and he's been given PLENTY of games to show what he's capable of. Cut him loose and move on, we need to be more ruthless!
I think it does. Signing a bloke to only cut him so we're saddle with his salary and another's for his spot would be incredibly stupid.

And probably against an AFLPA regulation or three.

There are specific aspects of our game that are what let us down. Kicking inside 50, defensive transition etc. Petracca does very little to actually address those so his overall impact on our performance is probably not massive for the outlay required

A lot of that is due to personal and setting up our game plan around that personal. With better personal Scott will shift the focus.

Adding Reid and Ridley allows us to set up play from behind the ball much better. Not to mention with partracca we probably see Langford go back permantly and Martin move up to a wing or mids

Across the midfield Merrett wouldn’t get a tag as much, and he would be able to basically play outside midfield, wing
and half back.

Up forward if petracca goes down there all of sudden all our forwards get a worse defender.

I’m not saying we would win a flag guaranteed but we would be in the top 6z

1) Put Stringer, Shiel, Redman, Parish and Ridley on the market for the best picks available.

Turbocharge a rebuild with the picks. Five players who will net at least five picks under #50, incl at least a couple of first rounders.

2) We retain mature bodies in Merrett, Caldwell, Durham, McGrath, Draper, Langford, Wright, Duursma and McKay to build around.

3) We pair that massive draft pick haul with Tsatas, Hobbs, Perkins, Hayes, Jones, Bryan, Caddy, Reid, Martin and Roberts.

It’s so ****ing obvious

I think it does. Signing a bloke to only cut him so we're saddle with his salary and another's for his spot would be incredibly stupid.

And probably against an AFLPA regulation or three.
Probably the epitome of the sunk cost fallacy. Either way we are paying his salary. The option (AFLPA regs aside) is to either have Menzie on the list, or have an open list spot. I know which I'd prefer.

1) Put Stringer, Shiel, Redman, Parish and Ridley on the market for the best picks available.

Turbocharge a rebuild with the picks. Five players who will net at least five picks under #50, incl at least a couple of first rounders.

2) We retain mature bodies in Merrett, Caldwell, Durham, McGrath, Draper, Langford, Wright, Duursma and McKay to build around.

3) We pair that massive draft pick haul with Tsatas, Hobbs, Perkins, Hayes, Jones, Bryan, Caddy, Reid, Martin and Roberts.

It’s so ****ing obvious
It's very clearly not happening. Nobody wants the people you want to trade.

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Probably the epitome of the sunk cost fallacy. Either way we are paying his salary. The option (AFLPA regs aside) is to either have Menzie on the list, or have an open list spot. I know which I'd prefer.
It's easy to say AFLPA regs aside.

It is not so easy to put in practice.

In this day and age of trading/list management, I don't think that really counts for much. I'm sure it'd raise a few eyebrows in the media but they'd forget quickly. Plus, at the time of signing him it looked promising but the supporters now see he brings very little the team in terms of impact and he's been given PLENTY of games to show what he's capable of. Cut him loose and move on, we need to be more ruthless!
Um, I think it would raise more than a few eyebrows to do something like that... There's being ruthless and there is being stupid, aside from the fact that we'd have to pay out the contract how do you think it would make other players feel about signing with us if we were to cut someone a month (if that) after re-signing them?

It’s so ****ing obvious
Agree with all of those potential trades. I'd also put Wright in the possible trade category for the right price.

This list needs to be refreshed before Tassie comes or we'll be screwed.

So GC are going to land Noble and Rioli, Uwland looks like he was created in a lab. Wonder whether Budarick is gettable? Could probably get Lemmens for free as well, he’s always been a good, disciplined running player.

Maybe another dip at Rosas given Lombard is coming in as well?

Would absolutely love Petracca for a few years of good footy. A competitor that knows what it takes to build from the bottom and win a premiership. We haven't had that player since probably BJ although he didnt actually win one.

It wouldn't even be about a sugar hit of any possible instant on field uplift for me. More about what having someone like him does for the standards and culture. Merrett would finally have a sidekick helping him drive it.

Cost wise id be reasonable. Players and picks combination is fine. This years pick 8 is not untouchable for me if Petracca was in the convo. No way Melbourne would be dumb enough to just accept a few of our spuds alone as payment.

So GC are going to land Noble and Rioli, Uwland looks like he was created in a lab. Wonder whether Budarick is gettable? Could probably get Lemmens for free as well, he’s always been a good, disciplined running player.

Maybe another dip at Rosas given Lombard is coming in as well?
I like Lemmens. Would of guessed 24.. he will be 30 going into next season

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Trading for lots of picks this draft makes zero sense. Teams already overvalue draft picks and are valuing this draft extra high.

Secondly we have Kako as a bid match and want to use as low pics to match as possible before they change the points rules/values.

Any pick coming in would have to be higher then a potential Kako bid and we don’t have the assets to get into that range easily without including our pick (which would defeat the purpose of trading a player)

The three big goals this offseason should be

1. Add young high end talent
2. Trade players to open up minutes/ opportunities for younger players and get future assets.
3. Rebalance the list.

Something like
Stringer + F2 to Carlton for F1
Parish for either F1 or an equivalent AA ish level player in a position of need (Dan Houston via 3 team deal with Dees?)
Sheil. Would have to pay lots of salary to get something good back. Might hold on. If not maybe to saints to move up in draft + late points/pick for a flier.

2MP. Again try and find a best 22 level player in a similar situation. Likely big midfielder. (Always better value trading across positions) would target Jack Macrae. He’s older but should have good longevity. If can’t just hold onto him and have him replace Goldy in veteran journeyman/depth ruck role. Then see what happens with Draper as FF next season.

Total haul - out Stringer, Parish, Sheil, Wright Pick 8 F2

In McRae, Pick 5, Carlton F1, Other F1 for Parish

Projected best 22

Ridley Mckay Mcgrath
Redman Reid Roberts (Hayes?)

Dursma Caldwell Martin
Bryan Tsatas Durham

Langford Caddy Perkins
Gresham Draper Merrett

IC Hobbs McRae Hayes Jones

Feels wrong sending Kako + pick 5 to VFL but can’t find any obvious weak spots. Nice to have depth I guess.

Last edited:
Ivan Soldo id be interested in

Allows us to let Draper go next year and Goldy this year

Yep Carlton dont want to let go of McKay, Hawks want Barrass/Battle, Pies dont have the capital and players the Dees are after. The interstate teams have the bounty/picks/players. I look at teams especially like Fremantle and Gold Coast. But those two teams have never been destination teams for superstars in their prime.

All the cards have fallen into Essendons place. Does Petracca consider Geelong ' a Big Melbourne/Vic Team'? Otherwise , its advantage Essendon and I say this as a neutral.

Tom Barrass has requested a trade back to Victoria, he would be nice fit for us.

Yep Carlton dont want to let go of McKay, Hawks want Barrass/Battle, Pies dont have the capital and players the Dees are after. The interstate teams have the bounty/picks/players. I look at teams especially like Fremantle and Gold Coast. But those two teams have never been destination teams for superstars in their prime.

All the cards have fallen into Essendons place. Does Petracca consider Geelong ' a Big Melbourne/Vic Team'? Otherwise , its advantage Essendon and I say this as a neutral.
And Hawthorn have they hands full with Barrass so won't be able to do a deal for Petracca. We also have good trade relations with Melbourne so it'd be easy for us to reach a satisfactory agreement both ways.

This would have been the best opportunity to land a marquee player and finally contend for a premiership if we weren't so incompetent with our list management. If only we built our list properly post-2016. Can we say Petracca would improve our premiership chances? No. That should be our answer.

The jury is out for the players we've drafted between 2020 and 2022 so unfortunately that's just not where our list is at the moment.

The problem we have is he should not survive but the KPD stocks have injury issues and what is out there to replace him as a back up ? I would prefer he did not stay around and we just try Jones back but we may need a spare body and I would rather keep the him for 1 year if there are only ordinary options to replace him.
Personally I disagree. I'd rather see us fail with unproven talent then fail with proven untalent. Rather take the risk of a SSP pick to replace him.

Tom Barrass has requested a trade back to Victoria, he would be nice fit for us.
He's Hawthorn bound.

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Recruiting AFL Trade & Free Agency XII - 💰💰💰

Remove this Banner Ad

Back