Recruiting AFL Trade & Free Agency XII - 💰💰💰

Remove this Banner Ad

I can’t be the only one that wants us to take a ‘head down bum up’ approach to this off season.

Stay away from chasing big fish, retain our talent and our draft picks, turn the list over a bit and go again.
Reasonable proposition. Am totally fine with not chasing big fish. It's more the ten guys who are clearly not any good and are yet in the mix for us that's a worry. Going again sounds bad. Need some major changes imo. Don't see why we can't look to do that while retaining what's left and keeping picks.

I want draft picks, but if something can be manufactured that allows us to keep our first, land Kako and bring in Petracca for 2 or 3 years, I think we'd be silly not to check it out. Brings leadership qualities + edge.

Imagine the value of Trac's experience and attitude for the development of Caldwell, Durham, Tsatas Hobbs and (if anyone needs it) Perkins.

Feels like you could get Jack Macrae for much less than Trac to fill the same role and he doesn’t have a serious injury to come back from. Just got bevo’d

Edit: with Trac it’s all about cost.

Should it only cost Parish and Wright and paying some of their contracts it’s a big upgrade for two pieces that don’t fit the list.

I want draft picks, but if something can be manufactured that allows us to keep our first, land Kako and bring in Petracca for 2 or 3 years, I think we'd be silly not to check it out. Brings leadership qualities + edge.

Imagine the value of Trac's experience and attitude for the development of Caldwell, Durham, Tsatas Hobbs and (if anyone needs it) Perkins.

We don’t need Trac

Haven’t we learnt from Shiel, Stringer, Smith, Goddard and the Blues. Theirs no point in bringing this type of player in until the top down is in check at the club. When has it ever really paid off?

So the problem is I don’t see the benefit in going really hard either way. I see no point in outlaying for Petracca beyond ‘it would be cool’ because us going over the top is not a 1 player thing, it’s a collective thing, Petracca hardly a generational ‘come with me’ leader either.

The other side of the coin is I don’t see any real point in putting everyone on the trade table and going in with a million picks because we are already butchering the development of the current generation. I wouldn’t want to invest heavily in the draft until I know it will pay dividends.

I think we’ve got to be Switzerland until further notice.

Feels like you could get Jack Macrae for much less than Trac to fill the same role and he doesn’t have a serious injury to come back from. Just got bevo’d

Edit: with Trac it’s all about cost.

Should it only cost Parish and Wright and paying some of their contracts it’s a big upgrade for two pieces that don’t fit the list.
I dont see Macrae as anything like Petracca. Playing style or character traits. Petracca would be the only other genuine leader with Merrett on our list in my opinion.

I can’t be the only one that wants us to take a ‘head down bum up’ approach to this off season.

Stay away from chasing big fish, retain our talent and our draft picks, turn the list over a bit and go again.
The amount of corner cutting this club does is more akin to a formula 1 team than a football club. Stay on course and don’t deviate

Last edited:
I dont see Macrae as anything like Petracca. Playing style or character traits. Petracca would be the only other genuine leader with Merrett on our list in my opinion.

In terms of gamestyle I agree they are different. What they have in common is physical presence. They’re the mythical big bodied mid Essendon supporters have wanted to add to be able to absorb more physical pressure at stoppages. Both are also good kicks into 50

Next season you’d expect Durham and Tsatas to both be playing mid full time and neither are small. So adding a 3rd similar sized (or larger) mid (whoever they are) fills the biggest list hole on the team.

So the problem is I don’t see the benefit in going really hard either way. I see no point in outlaying for Petracca beyond ‘it would be cool’ because us going over the top is not a 1 player thing, it’s a collective thing, Petracca hardly a generational ‘come with me’ leader either.

The other side of the coin is I don’t see any real point in putting everyone on the trade table and going in with a million picks because we are already butchering the development of the current generation. I wouldn’t want to invest heavily in the draft until I know it will pay dividends.

I think we’ve got to be Switzerland until further notice.
Disagree, we have been in no mans land for 20 years, not bad enough to get the top prospects, but not good enough to compete.
I’m sick of getting b/c graders every season which just leaves us fans arguing over best 22s instead of actually raising our ceiling.

If we get petracca it’ll be us trying to compete during Merrett stringer Shiel Langfords window.

Alternatively let’s look to trade players like parish langford stringer Shiel 2mp to rebuild up for the next core group of players

Been directionless and inbetween for far too long

Disagree, we have been in no mans land for 20 years, not bad enough to get the top prospects, but not good enough to compete.
I’m sick of getting b/c graders every season which just leaves us fans arguing over best 22s instead of actually raising our ceiling.

If we get petracca it’ll be us trying to compete during Merrett stringer Shiel Langfords window.

Alternatively let’s look to trade players like parish langford stringer Shiel 2mp to rebuild up for the next core group of players

I would hazard this is why we have been stuck in no mans land.. no guts to completely re build and bundle up for multiple early picks but so desperate to stay competitive and relevant we dont bottom out.

Im with you, blow the joint up and see if we can fast track the re build. Unfortunately we can’t as to many B grade players tied to long term contracts

Given this year’s disasterclass with Perkins, Tsatas, Cox, Hayes and Hobbs, what’s your confidence level that trading a clutch of mature player for a bunch of picks will get a good result? By my count that’s 5 of our last 7 top 25 draft picks.

You only invest in picks if you’re going to invest in the picks.

Given this year’s disasterclass with Perkins, Tsatas, Cox, Hayes and Hobbs, what’s your confidence level that trading a clutch of mature player for a bunch of picks will get a good result? By my count that’s 5 of our last 7 top 25 draft picks.

You only invest in picks if you’re going to invest in the picks.
I’m confident a lot of those guys come good given a consistent role in the side, because until we do we will never find out if they can become the answer. Who would have predicted the leap of Durham last season?

parish for example I have no confidence if he is starting in the midfield in a final, while he is good at centre bounce and very clean with his hands, he avoids contact like the plague. I’d happily lose him if someone was willing to take his contract.

Can't see us satisfying Melbourne in a deal for Petracca. And as said earlier, unless our premiership window was open then I don't see why we should go after him.
I need to get me a WWDD wrist band.
What would Dorodo do?

He would totally say we’re in, offer SFA, drag it out to the trade deadline, fail to offer enough & tank the deal.

1724759828776.jpeg
Much better than the what would Jesus do versions…

I need to get me a WWDD wrist band.
What would Dorodo do?

He would totally say we’re in, offer SFA, drag it out to the trade deadline, fail to offer enough & tank the deal.

View attachment 2094059
Much better than the what would Jesus do versions…
Dodo wouldn’t overpay, didn’t he want to say no to 2xfrp for Shiel and was overruled? He also said no to 2x frp for Dunkley.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m confident a lot of those guys come good given a consistent role in the side, because until we do we will never find out if they can become the answer. Who would have predicted the leap of Durham last season?

parish for example I have no confidence if he is starting in the midfield in a final, while he is good at centre bounce and very clean with his hands, he avoids contact like the plague. I’d happily lose him if someone was willing to take his contract.

All I can say is I admire your optimism on them being given a consistent role in the side.

Oliver looks cooked, huge gamble given his contract. At least Trac is still playing good footy…
Serious reply -
Agree it’s a gamble - need to be the right deal for both clubs:
  • Melbourne him / his salary gone
  • Essendon has salary cap room to absorb
  • Can we avoid our first pick being used?

Less serious reply -
Cousins, Kerr, Mainwaring … ok, 75% of the whole WCE generation proved you can be a high performing AFL addict.
I think it all worked ok for them…

Can we shift gears - from Trac to Oliver? Oliver is that big bodied mid we always wanted… going cheap apparently…

I’m getting strong Dogs-Stringer fire sale vibes here.

Would not be apposed to see him picked up.

Fire sale at the Demons if they continue with Goody, if they cut Goody I feel not much will happen from them.

Serious reply -
Agree it’s a gamble - need to be the right deal for both clubs:
  • Melbourne him / his salary gone
  • Essendon has salary cap room to absorb
  • Can we avoid our first pick being used?

Less serious reply -
Cousins, Kerr, Mainwaring … ok, 75% of the whole WCE generation proved you can be a high performing AFL addict.
I think it all worked ok for them…

Regarding your less serious reply, that was a different era. Right now you can’t afford to be 1% off let alone how far Clarry is off the pace.

He could bounce back for sure but if he doesn’t where do you go from there..?

To add to that I don’t think our culture or leadership is quite in the right place to take someone like that on to be honest. We need leaders to come in and take this club by the scruff of the neck right now.

Matt Owies contract update on SEN

“He’s kicked the third most goals for Carlton and can’t get a new deal, in fact the Blues won’t even enter into negotiations with him.”

“List spots are tight, the Camporeale twins are coming in, the cap is tight, he’s being made to wait.

Profile extracts
  • Kicked 27 goals in 2023
  • Kicked 33 goals in 2024
  • main role is to create havoc and pursue manic pressure in the forward 50
  • 27 yo

Petracca will be 29 next season. We’re not winning a flag with peak Petracca. Also who knows the psychological impact. Cost would be huge. Would be the wrong move but it’s not happening

Remove this Banner Ad

Recruiting AFL Trade & Free Agency XII - 💰💰💰

Remove this Banner Ad

Back