Recruiting AFL Trade & Free Agency XII - 💰💰💰

Remove this Banner Ad

Langford Jones Durham
Kako Caddy Rosas

Forward line with Durham having bursts through the middle and replaced by a resting mid.

Durham/Langford/Jones licence to push up the ground and be marking option.

Caddy and the two smalls to own the forward fifty.
I would replace Durham with Perkins, Move Jones to the wing and find* a physical presence for the KPF.

*I understand this is no small request.

Going by media reports, Menzie signed before Ainsworth did. July 18th vs July 22nd.

I suspect Menzie was happening irrespective, mid-season around the byes is a pretty common time for contracts to start to get sorted.
Probably around the time he was playing as a back pocket too. Wonder what Scott's plan is for him.

I know I don't like Hawthorn much but I try to be objective...reckon it's pretty shit that an opposition coach can be in the ear of your player all year, while technically still a contracted player. If the scribes are right not only has Mitchell been in battles ear for 8 months, his wife has been doing the same to battles partner. He was also in Massimos ear for months while he was still an Essendon player. Hope the little turd gets his karma eventually and no club deals with the snake and the club

We met up with McKay in like round 11 or thereabouts last year. While he was still a north player

This is the way of the world.
It’s been like this for a very long time lol, it’s just smart business. Any potential free agents next year, we may have already been in their ear weeks ago.

I don’t blame Sam Mitchell in the slightest, it’s what a good coach should be doing. Creating relationships early

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I don’t get the consternation around the Menzies deal. It’s a 1 year contract, probably on the absolute minimum.

It’s not even in the top 20 things that are a problem. We’ll probably draft 3 players and it’s likely one of them won’t get past their initial 2 year deal.

We met up with McKay in like round 11 or thereabouts last year. While he was still a north player

This is the way of the world.
It’s been like this for a very long time lol, it’s just smart business. Any potential free agents next year, we may have already been in their ear weeks ago.

I don’t blame Sam Mitchell in the slightest, it’s what a good coach should be doing. Creating relationships early

Most would say the us and UK are more savage than us when it comes to player movement yet even this is frowned upon..

"In professional team sports, tapping up (British English) or tampering (American English) is an attempt to persuade a player contracted to one team to transfer to another team, without the knowledge or permission of the player's current team. "

Punishable offence.

Most would say the us and UK are more savage than us when it comes to player movement yet even this is frowned upon..

"In professional team sports, tapping up (British English) or tampering (American English) is an attempt to persuade a player contracted to one team to transfer to another team, without the knowledge or permission of the player's current team. "

Punishable offence.

I think it works in a limited player movement league, when there is easy accepted movement and greater club control over players I'd want some guard rails put up.

In our current market I don't mind it, to get someone across you have to sell them a vision, the fact it's done by the coach to the player and not list manager to agent is ok I reckon.

Has anyone been linked to us? 😴
Yeah, West Coast, got nothing, going nowhere unless someone makes something out of dogshit.
Stop pussy footing around and take a couple of cement tablets.
So parish and 2 depth players? Haha what on earth would they do with Laverde

You are obviously young and know nothing about football.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Question Mark What GIF by MOODMAN

Yeah, West Coast, got nothing, going nowhere unless someone makes something out of dogshit.
Stop pussy footing around and take a couple of cement tablets.
You are obviously young and know nothing about football.
Your username is ironic yeah?

Does he? In the 5 VFL games Jye played this year (one of which was off half back, mind) he had 1, 0, 2, 2 and 3 goals and Jayden 3, 0, 0, 1 and 0. Jayden kicked less goals than games played this year too.

He had a bad year. As soon as any player who's played seniors fairly regularly has a bad year yhis board jump up and down and act crazy.

Re-signing him that early also probably gives him a necessary boost of confidence coming into pre-season. If we were going to re-sign him anyway, which the early re-signing indicates, why put it off?
Jayden seemed to nail the chances he generated. Menzie seems to waste a lot of chances were you think it should be a forward's bread and butter. A lot of his "poor" games are vastly better if he just nails those chances.

You can argue or defend the re-signing of Menzie all you want.

However any rational observer would agree that neither he, or any of our small forwards, played well enough this season that the club couldnt look possible options such as Owies or Rosas to compete for their spot.
Menzie, Davey Jr, Guelfi and Gresham kicked 42 goals between them, 34 of those coming from Guelf and Gresh, who were both not usually playing as crumbing forwards.
It was just an absolutely shocking season for forward efficiency for us. Maybe the worst since Monfries was our leading goalkicker with 20 goals or something like that.

In terms of small forwards, we currently have Jayden Davey as the only real 'crumber' that I would consider on the list. We've got Kako coming in, otherwise we've been relying on guys like Gresham, Menzie and Guelfi to fill a hole.

ADJ always did his best work further up the field, nothing at AFL or VFL level has shown otherwise IMO.

If we brought in Rosas it would provide a genuine crumber who's likely to play at AFL level each week, meaning we're not solely reliant on a first-year Kako or a speculative Jayden Davey.

Guelfi is more of a hard-working utility that can plug and play anywhere on the field. If we needed a guy on the list for depth that could play back, forward or through the midfield at VFL level, it's Guelfi.

Menzie is a bit speculative, he did OK as a small forward playing closer to goal last year, got a bit lost playing higher this year, and showed he might be passable as a small defender in a pinch. Retaining him for another year means Kako and/or Jayden Davey don't need to be rushed in to the AFL before they're ready, he's still young enough at 21 that he can improve, and if the small forwards go past him, he can be tried down back as a small defender given we've used Kelly or had to play Redman as a defensive small at the expense of his run and carry.

Watching us play this year it's pretty clear we need at least 2 more genuine small forwards in the AFL side. Jayden is a big maybe, Kako isn't even drafted yet.
Might be crazy given he seems to manage to get lost from half back, but I wouldn't mind seeing how Luol would go as a defensive forward.

Remove this Banner Ad

Recruiting AFL Trade & Free Agency XII - 💰💰💰

Remove this Banner Ad

Back