Recruiting AFL Trade & Free Agency XII - 💰💰💰

Remove this Banner Ad

Lav is much better than he gets credit for around here. Someone has to be the sacrificial lamb for our inability to transition defensively and Lav normally takes the best forward and gets murdered by open leading lanes. Much like how BZT was the reverse coleman winner and all of a sudden he isn't close to it at Port despite having near identical contest win percentage. Make Lav a third tall on 195cm and down talls and he's golden. Can see why another team would value his bravery, wouldn't be surprised if the Swans rated him as a Rampe replacement.

Arbitrary. Toby Greene didn't kick more than 2 goals in a game until Round 8 of his 4th season with 59 games played before that. He kicked less goals (22) over all those 59 games before that Round 8 game than Menzie kicked in just 2023. According to you Toby wouldn't have been offered a deal.

Like I said if Menzie didn't average a goal a game with every H&A game played 12 months ago, which is something none of our other 18-21 years have managed, then I'd say another year thrown his way would've been overs, but that isn't the case.
He is riding on year one, yep

I tend to agree with others that to the eye, his ceiling isn’t very high. I reckon it’s about Matt Guelfi level. I like Guelfi well enough in a “fringe of of a best 22” sort of way.

As for the Toby Greene comparison.. not great. Statistically correct but not only was Greene showing heaps as a mid, he looked dynamic and exciting to the eye. Plus GWS averaged very low scores because they were getting hammered week in week out. Hard to get off the chain for an exciting 4 goals 3 when you’re only having 20 inside 50s.

Menzie is young. Maybe he has another gear. Maybe given he is a Tassie kid they are just playing supercoach and see him as collateral to trade in a few years for a top ten draft pick

He is riding on year one, yep

I tend to agree with others that to the eye, his ceiling isn’t very high. I reckon it’s about Matt Guelfi level. I like Guelfi well enough in a “fringe of of a best 22” sort of way.

As for the Toby Greene comparison.. not great. Statistically correct but not only was Greene showing heaps as a mid, he looked dynamic and exciting to the eye. Plus GWS averaged very low scores because they were getting hammered week in week out. Hard to get off the chain for an exciting 4 goals 3 when you’re only having 20 inside 50s.

Menzie is young. Maybe he has another gear. Maybe given he is a Tassie kid they are just playing supercoach and see him as collateral to trade in a few years for a top ten draft pick
Didn't know he was from Tassie. That could be fortuitous but Devils are still too far out to use a list spot just for future bargaining power. I don't know that that would ever be wise planning actually.

You can argue or defend the re-signing of Menzie all you want.

However any rational observer would agree that neither he, or any of our small forwards, played well enough this season that the club couldnt look possible options such as Owies or Rosas to compete for their spot.
GC releasing Rosas with 1 year to go is interesting. Obviously something Hardwicke does not like.

Soft? Does not follow instructions? Will be interesting to see.

Or is it money? Is he an easy move to make to release money so they can bring in Rioli and Noble?

Could just be list spots getting tight. Ainsworth signed on for four. Ben Long has locked a spot down, more games into Rogers and Leo Lombard slots right into a small forward slot. Plus Johnston, Humphrey, Berry as other rotational forwards.

Though one would think they'd have been able to trade him.

You are obviously young and know nothing about football.

Ok champ. You want to give a Melbourne side whose has may and lever, Laverde who’s been horrible for us this year other being available and healthy. He would be depth at best for them.
Hobbs hasn’t set the world alight, yeah he might flourish but it’s really an unknown at this stage.

2 blokes who potentially might not even play consistently and parish for Petracca - a top 10 player in the comp.
They would laugh at that offer imo

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Lav is much better than he gets credit for around here. Someone has to be the sacrificial lamb for our inability to transition defensively and Lav normally takes the best forward and gets murdered by open leading lanes. Much like how BZT was the reverse coleman winner and all of a sudden he isn't close to it at Port despite having near identical contest win percentage. Make Lav a third tall on 195cm and down talls and he's golden. Can see why another team would value his bravery, wouldn't be surprised if the Swans rated him as a Rampe replacement.
Lav, Mckay and kelly cop all the flack for their poor disposals but why do elite ball users like ridley and elite runners like mcgrath keep shuffling sideways kicks to them when they are under pressure instead of taking the game on themselves as more senior members of the backline.

Martin may have made a lot of memorable clangers this year from out of D50 but we looked our best early in year because he was the only guy the backline you tried to launch attacks with risker lateral/corridor kicks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seems like a lot of players could be on the move this year with a lot of teams trying to be active and improve their lists, while we're still hung up on... keep or delist Weideman and Kelly.

Yay!

Addition by subtraction

Being released from his contract is very strange.

Asking him to consider his options is perfectly fine. But given Gold Coast's situation of trying to orchestrate a number of trades in this upcoming period, he absolutely had some sort of value - be it to be included in a Rioli, Noble or Lukosious trade.

Something's up there.

Being released from his contract is very strange.

Asking him to consider his options is perfectly fine. But given Gold Coast's situation of trying to orchestrate a number of trades in this upcoming period, he absolutely had some sort of value - be it to be included in a Rioli, Noble or Lukosious trade.

Something's up there.
Na, he was contacted for a year. So by all rights he could just refuse to go if he didnt like the destination. This way the suns get their list spot and theres no hard feelings with Rosas, he's free to go where he wants as a DFA. Suns dont need late picks to make any of their moves they need to make.

Na, he was contacted for a year. So by all rights he could just refuse to go if he didnt like the destination. This way the suns get their list spot and theres no hard feelings with Rosas, he's free to go where he wants as a DFA. Suns dont need late picks to make any of their moves they need to make.

Agree with all that, but you're missing my point I think.

If he wanted to go to Victoria, then a trade could be facilitated - he had value. If it was to one of Richmond or Collingwood, obviously all the better. If it wasn't, then all good. You could get a pick that could be forwarded onto Rich/Coll, or a future pick that may have use to them next year.

If he wanted to go anywhere outside of Victoria, then all good, same thing. Get an asset that could then potentially be sent to Coll/Rich, or once again a future pick.

If he said "No, I want to stay" then ending his contract obviously doesn't satisfactorily address that either. You could do that as a last resort after trade week if absolutely necessary to clear space on your list. Then he could still walk to a club of his choice as a delisted free agent.

But to end the contract of a guy who clearly has some sort of value, with a year to go on his contract, before trade week doesn't add up. There's something missing there.

Agree with all that, but you're missing my point I think.

If he wanted to go to Victoria, then a trade could be facilitated - he had value. If it was to one of Richmond or Collingwood, obviously all the better. If it wasn't, then all good. You could get a pick that could be forwarded onto Rich/Coll, or a future pick that may have use to them next year.

If he wanted to go anywhere outside of Victoria, then all good, same thing. Get an asset that could then potentially be sent to Coll/Rich, or once again a future pick.

If he said "No, I want to stay" then ending his contract obviously doesn't satisfactorily address that either. You could do that as a last resort after trade week if absolutely necessary to clear space on your list. Then he could still walk to a club of his choice as a delisted free agent.

But to end the contract of a guy who clearly has some sort of value, with a year to go on his contract, before trade week doesn't add up. There's something missing there.
It makes perfect sense to me. They dont need any late picks. It seems like a mutual parting where they've made it as easy as they can for him to go where he wants, while they get the list spot

It makes perfect sense to me. They dont need any late picks. It seems like a mutual parting where they've made it as easy as they can for him to go where he wants, while they get the list spot

You're saying a late 2nd rounder, from anybody, that could be sent as part of a package for say Noble is something they "don't need"?

Or what about a future 2nd rounder? Or future 3rd rounder? Who is to say what they will or won't need in 12 months time.

Again, simple logic says the timing of this doesn't make sense. You don't delist an asset under contract, prior to trade week, when they have legitimate value - not without a reason.

Remove this Banner Ad

Recruiting AFL Trade & Free Agency XII - 💰💰💰

Remove this Banner Ad

Back