Recruiting AFL Trade & Free Agency XII - 💰💰💰

Remove this Banner Ad

Hello fishy fishy 😛
Click bait catches another one.

didn't catch anyone?

I clearly said "if it was true" - i didn't take it to be true off face value.

"mired in mediocrity" That's Kelly and Weideman, they are this, they will be mediocre in 2025, they train hard and are nice to the coach, who cares?

Kelly is a pretty good example of the type of player we haven't had enough of; guys who give you 100% each and every week. Yes I agree he's struggled this year and is in line for delisting, but given we've already got at least 5 spots to fill I don't think it's the end of the world if they throw 1 year at him. Weideman similar.

Once again though, if your in favour of the scorched earth rebuild most of this stuff won't matter to you.

Kelly is a pretty good example of the type of player we haven't had enough of; guys who give you 100% each and every week. Yes I agree he's struggled this year and is in line for delisting, but given we've already got at least 5 spots to fill I don't think it's the end of the world if they throw 1 year at him. Weideman similar.

Once again though, if your in favour of the scorched earth rebuild most of this stuff won't matter to you.

I don't think getting rid of them is scorched earth, it's opening list spots to have free swings at blokes, would be 10-20 blokes who get delisted who are better players than Kelly and Weide.

As Ant has pointed out, they could still go, but while they're still here we are allowed to talk about them, they very likely won't be here in 2026.

Why I think this is because, I don't think we can win the flag in 2025 so I'm not sure why we are keeping them.

Is this you telling me I can't talk about what I would do again? I would get rid of them, why does the club need to announce anything?

You should be able to tell me if they are staying or not, you have sources everywhere.
No.
If I was saying do not talk about it I would say exactly that. Stop talking shit. That would be the message. Get over yourself. I have never told anyone to stop posting.

You posted your opinion. I posted mine.if you want to post the same thing over and over then expect some to disagree.

The safe play in this so we do not waste time on more spuds is to see if Laverde and Stringer go.
If Laverde goes you keep Weideman as back up.
Kelly is not clear cut. I think he is finished but we pretty much have 3 back pockets on the list. McGrath/Redman/Kelly.
Maybe they can cover it. Maybe we need him for another year.

I don't think getting rid of them is scorched earth, it's opening list spots to have free swings at blokes, would be 10-20 blokes who get delisted who are better players than Kelly and Weide.

As Ant has pointed out, they could still go, but while they're still here we are allowed to talk about them, they very likely won't be here in 2026.

Why I think this is because, I don't think we can win the flag in 2025 so I'm not sure why we are keeping them.

It's the underlying philosophy behind the approach; delist anyone who isn't young enough to be part of our next Premiership irrespective of value as depth or standards.

Which is fine, clearly North went for that approach. Carlton have done it. Melbourne have done it.

But the counterpoints are Geelong and Sydney who basically aim to remain competitive each season, Melbourne under Roos did a bit of an about-face and brought in competitors both via trade and draft before they turned it around.

No.
If I was saying do not talk about it I would say exactly that. Stop talking shit. That would be the message. Get over yourself. I have never told anyone to stop posting.

You posted your opinion. I posted mine.if you want to post the same thing over and over then expect some to disagree.

The safe play in this so we do not waste time on more spuds is to see if Laverde and Stringer go.
If Laverde goes you keep Weideman as back up.
Kelly is not clear cut. I think he is finished but we pretty much have 3 back pockets on the list. McGrath/Redman/Kelly.
Maybe they can cover it. Maybe we need him for another year.
Why the need to be a smart ass and ask if the club announced anything? You know they haven't, you outline your safe play theory in this post, that makes sense, that would've been a better response to keep the conversation flowing. I've hardly posted over and over again.

I think we've played it safe for too long.

It’s not a free swing because it costs us depth in a couple of areas we don’t have a lot. I don’t mind leaving a couple of list spots open for speculative picks late in the draft or SSP recruits but AFL quality talent is thin on the ground at the backend so we’d be better off leaving a few guys on the list until next year when we have more picks to use

Why the need to be a smart ass and ask if the club announced anything? You know they haven't, you outline your safe play theory in this post, that makes sense, that would've been a better response to keep the conversation flowing. I've hardly posted over and over again.

You say that like the good clubs are out there flogging the 8th round of the draft every year. They aren’t.

You say that like the good clubs are out there flogging the 8th round of the draft every year. They aren’t.

Average to good players get picked up in the SSP every year, they're out there, I guess I'm not scared of the bottom 4 so I'm willing to take more risks, with the hope of picking up SEH types, who could become good, with the odd Nic Martin thrown in.

Granted, I do think Ants point in regards to keeping Sam if Lav goes, is a good one.

True. But we need to be less cowardly and turn over players more aggressively, we're scared because we don't know who can/will replace our average players, so we stick with the average players, who know how to win 11 games and finish 11th, yay.

Kelly, Weideman and Goldstein are already gone, from a club who aren't scared to go backwards.
I agree, though we don't have enough picks to do an aggressive list turnover. There's just not enough talent coming through to cover all the players we need to delist/trade. We're basically the opposite of Gold Coast in that regard. No one with trade value wants to leave either so we're stuck.

We're stuck with the likes of Parish and McGrath who embody the mediocrity of our club. Not bad enough to remove and not good enough to make us contenders. Just good enough to be 7-12. It's those types of players (Redman too) that make us mediocre because they don't cover for the average players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't even thing Ant is a fan of the play it safe route though just that they transition has to be well planned, Identify weaknesses and plan to recruit around them, Caddy, Roberts, Lual, and Saad all seemed to be very clearly identified as weaknesses on our list and a plan to fix rather than the smaller picture we seem to take too often that leaks to an imbalanced side. I think hes long been a fan of turning over out list just doing it in a way where there is a plan in place to make it work.

Lloydy knows a thing or two about not putting the team first in the twilight of your career.
Cena Ooo GIF

If anything it's unders, Gulden has 0 Premierships and has kicked way less career goals.
Gulden was pick 32 and Jake was pick 5. That’s a huge upgrade for the swans.

Lloydy knows a thing or two about not putting the team first in the twilight of your career.
Honestly, I’m surprised a lot more haven’t gone after Lloyd around this.

Was a dreadful leader and the standards slipping the way have can be pointed towards his tenure as skipper.

Remove this Banner Ad

Recruiting AFL Trade & Free Agency XII - 💰💰💰

Remove this Banner Ad

Back