Recruiting AFL Trade & Free Agency XII - 💰💰💰

Remove this Banner Ad

way to take what I’m saying and totally misrepresent it.

What are you saying? "So, is he playing in our side ahead of Martin? Or Durham? Or Duursma?"

What am I saying?, it's hardly binary, one or the other, you can never have too many good ball users, we have found that out. I don't see how there's any misrepresentation. I just don't think people like to admit we ****ed one up, royally.

What are you saying? "So, is he playing in our side ahead of Martin? Or Durham? Or Duursma?"

What am I saying?, it's hardly binary, one or the other, you can never have too many good ball users, we have found that out. I don't see how there's any misrepresentation. I just don't think people like to admit we ****ed one up, royally.
I literally said, yeah it sucks to lose a quality player for nothing. But has been starring in a role that’s on the wing. Martin did that in 2023.

That added in Duursma, who is also a quality wing so we didn’t have a spot for him.

So, his next spot is in defence as he is a quality user. However, for what I remember, the knock on him during his time in the VFL was his lack of defensive qualities. Does he take out Redman? McGrath? No.

Again, it sucks to lose him. We should have kept him. But, I also understand why he was let go. He is in that same category as Martin and West Coast, Wright and Gold Coast, we are just on the poorer side of this one.

I literally said, yeah it sucks to lose a quality player for nothing. But has been starring in a role that’s on the wing. Martin did that in 2023.

That added in Duursma, who is also a quality wing so we didn’t have a spot for him.

So, his next spot is in defence as he is a quality user. However, for what I remember, the knock on him during his time in the VFL was his lack of defensive qualities. Does he take out Redman? McGrath? No.

Again, it sucks to lose him. We should have kept him. But, I also understand why he was let go. He is in that same category as Martin and West Coast, Wright and Gold Coast, we are just on the poorer side of this one.

Still reckon it's a symptom of a greater malaise at our club, not just a oh well it is what it is, these things happen sometimes, can't win them all.

You work so hard to find these guys, you have a bunch of supposedly uneducated fans who can see clearly what this guy had and where he fits yet inside the club bubble he can't fit the structure or whatever magic kpis they want from him even though the same standards were not asked of from other players. If we can't see this kind of potential when it's under our noses I really worry for the whole joint

Still reckon it's a symptom of a greater malaise at our club, not just a oh well it is what it is, these things happen sometimes, can't win them all.

You work so hard to find these guys, you have a bunch of supposedly uneducated fans who can see clearly what this guy had and where he fits yet inside the club bubble he can't fit the structure or whatever magic kpis they want from him even though the same standards were not asked of from other players. If we can't see this kind of potential when it's under our noses I really worry for the whole joint
If we were the only club it happened to and it had happened to us on multiple occasions over a number of years I'd be inclined to agree that it might be a sign of some systemic issues within our list management.

But we're not the only club to let go a player cheaply only for them to thrive at a new home, it's only happened once that I can recall (unless you count Voss being added as depth at Freo), and there's far more glaring problems within our list management that this barely moves the needle.

Elite skills

I dont think were horrendous in this area

Durham, Zerrett, Caldwell, Martin all very good users. Ridley and Redman pretty damn good down back

We just shouldnt have been playing as much of Laverde, Kelly, Heppell

Had a lot of our depth tested and came up short in defence.

Mass is far better than McGrath as a FB. McGrath is more VFL standard then AFL standard

So, is he playing in our side ahead of Martin? Or Durham? Of Duursma?
Not sure any of them got over 30 possessions in a final.
It was a massive stuff up to let him slip.
Own it and move on.
Adrian lowballed him on tenure. Hawthorn showed him love.
He would easily be best 23 for us:
perhaps Mitchell is a far superior coach to Scott and understands how to utilise his strengths

if your gonna blame dodo for losing mass, you also need to give him credit to him for finding him.
That’s rubbish.
He starred for the jets at the start of the season and he hit some amazing targets at the young guns game in Werribee.
Adrian has been a major component of the clubs demise.
If you do not see this I have a bridge to sell you.
I really believe Adrian loves the club but he has been put in a job he was not qualified to do and has questionable work ethic,
Being a Kevin Sheedy parasite got him a long way.

Not sure any of them got over 30 possessions in a final.
It was a massive stuff up to let him slip.
Own it and move on.
Adrian lowballed him on tenure. Hawthorn showed him love.
He would easily be best 23 for us:
perhaps Mitchell is a far superior coach to Scott and understands how to utilise his strengths
But hard to do that when they haven’t played one for the club yet?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That’s rubbish.
He starred for the jets at the start of the season and he hit some amazing targets at the young guns game in Werribee.
Adrian has been a major component of the clubs demise.
If you do not see this I have a bridge to sell you.
I really believe Adrian loves the club but he has been put in a job he was not qualified to do and has questionable work ethic,
Being a Kevin Sheedy parasite got him a long way.
Was dodo in charge of sorting out contracts when massimos was up?
Was dodo in charge of recruiting when Massimo was drafted in the mid season draft?
You can’t pick and choose if you are talking in absolutes.

I personally believe it is way more nuanced, just like I solely don’t blame dodo for the last 20 years.

Was dodo in charge of sorting out contracts when massimos was up?
Was dodo in charge of recruiting when Massimo was drafted in the mid season draft?
You can’t pick and choose if you are talking in absolutes.

I personally believe it is way more nuanced, just like I solely don’t blame dodo for the last 20 years.
We are best to disagree.
Dodoro’s position meant he had ultimate say on all decisions.

if your gonna blame dodo for losing mass, you also need to give him credit to him for finding him.
I mean he or RFK probably had a lot of say in the decision to recruit him, but ultimately it was likely some scout going “you probably want a closer look at this kid” that got the ball rolling

I’d consider him to have a greater influence over contracting decisions than drafting but I’m not actually in the club keeping tabs on who is doing what

I mean he or RFK probably had a lot of say in the decision to recruit him, but ultimately it was likely some scout going “you probably want a closer look at this kid” that got the ball rolling

I’d consider him to have a greater influence over contracting decisions than drafting but I’m not actually in the club keeping tabs on who is doing what
Well I guess if he isn’t drafting players how can we blame him for all those bad selections over the last 20 years.

Had a lot of our depth tested and came up short in defence.

Mass is far better than McGrath as a FB. McGrath is more VFL standard then AFL standard
No doubt with exits of Heppell and id say unexpected one of Kelly we will have depth issues a little in the medium/small area

Id say its why we drafted Lual, Roberts and El Hawli in the same 6 month period

Fair chance we take/consider Savigni maybe late aswell in the rookie draft/ND aswell

The good thing is you can turn guys into HBFs quite successfully

I know McGrath is a whipping boy, but that is simply not true.

Hope I have to eat a lot of humble pie for this but honestly. don’t rate him at all. He’s very athletic and if he was a good decision maker man he’d be incredible. But he’s not and I have no confidence in that changing

No doubt with exits of Heppell and id say unexpected one of Kelly we will have depth issues a little in the medium/small area

Id say its why we drafted Lual, Roberts and El Hawli in the same 6 month period

Fair chance we take/consider Savigni maybe late aswell in the rookie draft/ND aswell

The good thing is you can turn guys into HBFs quite successfully

What I was more trying to say is that last season most of the most frustrating defensive players on the team wouldn’t have been playing if the team was at full health.

Kelly Lav and Hepp being the most maligned and none were in our best back 7 at full health. (Although that was with Martin in that role)

They were all depth and as much as I hate to say it. Mostly okay. Most of the defences biggest issues were related to the forward line and wasn’t about them.

There was a hole for a defensive QB or Point guard or Primary user (however you want to describe it) which Martin was given a chance at filling. And everyone talking on more responsibility than they were capable of towards the end of the season.

So, is he playing in our side ahead of Martin? Or Durham? Of Duursma?

The other interesting thing on this one when in reference to mass, The first two came to the club in similar ways to mass, ie not via traditional drafting paths and could have developed together along the same lines. The third only came in after mass had exited, perhaps a reolscy

Remove this Banner Ad

Recruiting AFL Trade & Free Agency XII - 💰💰💰

Remove this Banner Ad

Back