Recruiting AFL Trade & Free Agency XII - 💰💰💰

Remove this Banner Ad

Membrey is an easy no based purely on football reasons.

Structure wise we are covered for his type with what we have on the list already. (Langford, Jones, Cox, Perkins)

He doesn't fit the age demographic we are/should be aiming for as a rebuilding side.

He doesn't fill our leadership void like a Hodge, Lewis, Mitchell type did when they moved clubs in their 30s

We need a pressure small forward to replace Stringers place in the team.

I dont think we are seriously looking at him anyway. Maybe his manager putting it out there that he's free to a good home.

Membrey is an easy no based purely on football reasons.

Structure wise we are covered for his type with what we have on the list already. (Langford, Jones, Cox, Perkins)

He doesn't fit the age demographic we are/should be aiming for as a rebuilding side.

He doesn't fill our leadership void like a Hodge, Lewis, Mitchell type did when they moved clubs in their 30s

We need a pressure small forward to replace Stringers place in the team.

I dont think we are seriously looking at him anyway. Maybe his manager putting it out there that he's free to a good home.
Membrey is just cover short term incase Stringer does find a club willing to give him 2 years which is not looking likely at this stage. Safe to say I don't think Membrey be here next year

This conversation about Membry and mental health is just sad.

If you want resilience managing to be a functional professional footballer after having that significant of a mental health challenge would be by far the most impressive display of resilience on the roster
Absolutely!

Seems there is still a stigma around mental health esp on BF.

Reason Membery is being touted is a direct Stringer replacement. I have no issue with thet.

Low blow talking about someones mental health being a reason not to bring them over?

Would have thought everyone supporting this club has had some mental issues with what they have put us through

I am against bringing Membry in but not due to that reason we might as well play another small in Stringers spot

Absolutely!

Reason Membery is being touted is a direct Stringer replacement. I have no issue with thet.
I do. We don't need any more medium forwards. In fact we should be trying to shed them. Stringer going and replacing him with Membrey doesn't solve anything.

TWO-METRE PETER GOING NOWHERE

Despite rival interest, Essendon key forward Peter Wright won’t be taking off from Tullamarine.

According to his manager Tom McConville, the 28-year-old spearhead doesn’t have plans to leave this off-season.

“Peter Wright will stay at Essendon; he is not going anywhere. Clubs asked the question, but he is keen to stay,” McConville told AFL Trade Radio on Wednesday.

Wright played just 14 senior games this season after falling out of favour with Brad Scott’s match committee, not playing again after Round 20 after the Bombers continued with their combination of Kyle Langford, Nate Caddy and Harrison Jones.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I do. We don't need any more medium forwards. In fact we should be trying to shed them. Stringer going and replacing him with Membrey doesn't solve anything.
I'd say we have too many tall forwards. It was the mediom forwards that won Lions the flag.

Caddy, Jones, 2MP, Draper even maybe Cox is 2 too many talls IMO.

We need speed too.

Low blow talking about someones mental health being a reason not to bring them over?

Would have thought everyone supporting this club has had some mental issues with what they have put us through

I am against bringing Membry in but not due to that reason we might as well play another small in Stringers spot
It is possible to be sympathetic whilst at the same tome acting in the best interests of the club.

You reckon North would have taken Jonathon Hay had the know the depth of his issues?

We all put up with Bruno's mental illnesses. It's a shame he can't offer the same to others.

Why should it be any different to me wanting to get rid of Stringer or not being prepared to consider Oliver under any circumstances? I'm sure that Oliver could be diagnosed as having some form of mental illness.

I'm the supporter of a football club, I'm not working at Beyond Blue. It's not that I don't care or ever empathize but none of that is relevant to whether these players should be playing for Essendon. I didn't want Hunter or Baldwin on the list because they have physical 'illness'.

It's professional sport and any sort of fragility, whether physical or mental, should be avoided. For Essendon it is essential that it is avoided. Better clubs may well be able to balance the risk factors. I see no reason to think Essendon can.

Why should it be any different to me wanting to get rid of Stringer or not being prepared to consider Oliver under any circumstances? I'm sure that Oliver could be diagnosed as having some form of mental illness.

I'm the supporter of a football club, I'm not working at Beyond Blue. It's not that I don't care or ever empathize but none of that is relevant to whether these players should be playing for Essendon. I didn't want Hunter or Baldwin on the list because they have physical 'illness'.

It's professional sport and any sort of fragility, whether physical or mental, should be avoided. For Essendon it is essential that it is avoided. Better clubs may well be able to balance the risk factors. I see no reason to think Essendon can.
I don't disagree with you, I was just making fun of your paranoid delusions :p

I mean the absolute Essendon fan in me rues the decision to draft Francis. What a waste. Do I feel for the guy? Sure, but that's a totally separate issue.

Looking at our contract situation and it looks like 2025 will be the final seasons for Shiel, Laverde, Goldstein and Stringer (assuming Jake and Jayden aren’t traded). That will clear quite a bit of cap space.

Also big years for Jones and Hobbs who come ooc. Lual and ADJ potential delisting candidates.

At least another 6 list changes next year so it still bodes reasonably well for a list refresh via draft/FA before Tassie.

We just need to get better access to the elite end of draft.

Absolutely!

Funny thing is I almost see him as more of a Hepp replacement except he plays forward.

Mature, has life experience, resilient. Can play some VFL and some AFL as the 3rd forward depending on injuries/needs

Merrett, 28 to Saints for 7, F1st, 43
Parish to Dees for 37, 50, F2nd

2024 - 7, 8, Kako
2025 - Our 1st, Saints 1st, Our 2nd, Dees 2nd
Merrett and Parish replaced by Tsatas and Hobbs with 7 quality selections over the next 2 drafts.

That's how I'd try reshape the list. Add in the potential of Draper getting a godfather type offer and you have a crazy draft hand in 2025.

Remove this Banner Ad

Recruiting AFL Trade & Free Agency XII - 💰💰💰

Remove this Banner Ad

Back