Recruiting AFL Trade & Free Agency XII - 💰💰💰

Remove this Banner Ad

My main issue with the FA picks is compo is determined by compensation offered rather then by impact.

So teams rig the system by paying more to get a player/entice them to leave and that pushes up compo.

Also tying this stuff to draft position is insanity.

it’s also in direct competition with the salary cap who’s goal is to use money as a talent equalisation method. It’s all a bit of a joke
agreed

soon compensation will be gone completely. mark my words

seeing the compo picks handed out, we really have missed the trick by not only losing out on hypothetical (bands 1/2) picks but tying down b grade players and paying them like they are stars

really shows the incompetence of the previous regime in charge of list management and contracts #legacy
Dont disagree our previous list management was incompetent in certain areas although we are not paying anyone as stars apart from McKay, Shiel and Merrett (all 800k+). Our salary cap should be in a workable state for Rosa and we arent tied to any Treloar, Grundy, Oliver type contracts that are impossible to trade without still paying a chunk of the wage. None of the Shiel, Redman, Parish or McGrath contracts would be hard to move in comparison if someone was actually interested in the player. Laverde and Stringer easy moves as well. One thing Dodo looks to have done right is not include any pay increases in the contracts he handed out and not cook the cap. Rosa has some wiggle room with contracted players he doesnt want and a fairly clean slate salary cap wise to start his build.

agreed

It’s the AFL so you never know but it really should.

It’s a hard problem to solve because players take less money to play for successful teams/clubs with marquee games and big crowds.

But in a way salary cap equalisation doesn’t benefit smaller clubs as players break the system and take less then they are worth to stay in successful situations.

The other issue though is these big/successful clubs still benefit from compo picks when players leave so it doesn’t really help anyone but those that game the system and push players out in years where the compo is worth more then the outgoing player.

In practice I think the best path forward is tricky and there isn’t a perfect system. I’d probably get rid of compo because all
Other 17 clubs pay the cost of 1 clubs advantage and try and find a way to only benefit the team losing a player without impacting others.

The best solution is probably one that makes cap space more valuable but how to work that I have no idea.

It’s the AFL so you never know but it really should.

It’s a hard problem to solve because players take less money to play for successful teams/clubs with marquee games and big crowds.

But in a way salary cap equalisation doesn’t benefit smaller clubs as players break the system and take less then they are worth to stay in successful situations.

The other issue though is these big/successful clubs still benefit from compo picks when players leave so it doesn’t really help anyone but those that game the system and push players out in years where the compo is worth more then the outgoing player.

In practice I think the best path forward is tricky and there isn’t a perfect system. I’d probably get rid of compo because all
Other 17 clubs pay the cost of 1 clubs advantage and try and find a way to only benefit the team losing a player without impacting others.

The best solution is probably one that makes cap space more valuable but how to work that I have no idea.
when it was first discussed as an option, it was an equalisation measure, shit teams could lure guns to get better.

been the exact opposite for what it was intended. furthermore, the secret herbs and spices has never been transparent and makes the already tomfoolery laden AFL even more embarrassing

So this is what it feels like having a top nga prospect. Expect more posters trying to help our club with bad trade deals.

I’d love us to try and get another top 20 pick, but it seems no one at essendon wants to trade parish or Langford and they don’t want to leave.

From what I’ve seen in an open draft kako isn’t in the top 15, especially with his late season injury.

Pretty confident we get him and someone before him
A pick from 15-20 would be pretty pointless this year

agreed

Will just kill poor non destinstion clubs Tassie, GC, GWS and even some melbourne based clubs

Just re gig it. UFA dont affect 1st round

Have many more Bands. Band 1 - Pick 5, Band 2 - Pick 10, Band 3 - Pick 15, Band 4 - Pick 25

Up the thresholds by 25%. If Band 1 is currently 900k, make it 1.15 mill

Fair enough,
Out of curiosity what would you do if a bid came for kako at the saints pick 8?
My scenario would allow you guys to match that bid, whilst also getting pick 14 and keeping pick 31.
Vs
If saints bid on Kako,
You burn pick 9 and drop from 31 to 35.
What would you prefer?
If that deal was done and a bid came at 8, we would lose 14 as it would get eaten up in matching the bid and be left with a bunch of useless late picks. Your scenario is not advantageous at all to us.

Plenty of clubs are apparently trying to trade future 1sts to get into this top 10. We can get much better value for it than a bunch of useless late picks this year for it.

Will just kill poor non destinstion clubs Tassie, GC, GWS and even some melbourne based clubs

Just re gig it. UFA dont affect 1st round

Have many more Bands. Band 1 - Pick 5, Band 2 - Pick 10, Band 3 - Pick 15, Band 4 - Pick 25

Up the thresholds by 25%. If Band 1 is currently 900k, make it 1.15 mill
agreed!

need to protect the first round

seeing the compo picks handed out, we really have missed the trick by not only losing out on hypothetical (bands 1/2) picks but tying down b grade players and paying them like they are stars

really shows the incompetence of the previous regime in charge of list management and contracts #legacy
Honestly, this just sounds like whining. What picks did we miss out on?

We wouldnt have gotten any picks for Parish and Redman last year because we signed McKay, which would have cancelled any compo we would have gotten for them.

McGrath? Do you really think he was getting 850-900k on the open market?
At best we would have gotten band 2 which would have been eaten up by a Kako bid anyway (if we traded away pick 9 or a bid came after). And considering we will match anyway you lose him for nothing.

Moving them on may have merit otherwise (I.e open up room for younger players), but misgivings about missed compo is inaccurate in this case.

Honestly, this just sounds like whining. What picks did we miss out on?

We wouldnt have gotten any picks for Parish and Redman last year because we signed McKay, which would have cancelled any compo we would have gotten for them.

McGrath? Do you really think he was getting 850-900k on the open market?
At best we would have gotten band 2 which would have been eaten up by a Kako bid anyway (if we traded away pick 9 or a bid came after). And considering we will match anyway you lose him for nothing.

Moving them on may have merit otherwise (I.e open up room for younger players), but misgivings about missed compo is inaccurate in this case.
If Josh Battle is netting band 1, Andy McGrath absolutely is as well imho

Thats pick 10, Redman? would assume it'd be a similar story if not mid to end of first round. Last year Parish would have been an after our first pick compensation. Thats an abundance of talent. even iff we match half, that's a good little haul

Thats pick 10, Redman? would assume it'd be a similar story if not mid to end of first round. Last year Parish would have been an after our first pick compensation. Thats an abundance of talent. even iff we match half, that's a good little haul
I agree Andy is worth more in the market vs a Battle

What Grizz is saying though with Parish and Redman we wouldve had to exclude Mckay if we wanted any Band 1 picks for them

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So listening to gettable and thinking about our draft situation + Giants rumours

I think we will be part of a mega trade

Giants have a few late firsts and will want to get as high as possible for an elite talent. They have a trade with Adelaide for a player who wants to go there and Adelaide have pick 4

So Giants need a stepping stone pick to give to Adelaide because they won’t trade down 15 spots but they likely would trade down 5

If Essendon is splitting our first we will basically want 2 FRP for it (giants have)

Then the Sheil/Stringer stuff and how much value we can add to that deal to get Stone and make 2 FRP + Stone feel justified for GWS

Final trade probably works out as

Giants get Pick 4 ( Smith/Langford/FOS/Draper?) who will play HB year 1 since they lost a lot of HB types this FA period, + Sheil and Stringer (for cheap to allow them to frontload extensions)

Adelaide* get pick 10 + Player.

Essendon get 2 Firsts + Stone + potentially points depending on how much salary they pay for Sheil/Stringer

* if adelaide want to stay in range for Draper they might trade up and North get involved for pick 10 + a late first while adelaide move up to pick 2

It’s a big complicated trade but makes a lot of sense for all involved.

Probably why GWS is even willing to deal with ESS (aside from Dodo out) is they desperately need a stepping stone pick and we’re the only one availiable with Compo/player matching pushing picks down 2-4 spots around pick 10.

Edit:

With further thought think it’s more likely to include North as the top pick team as the top of this draft is loaded with mids and they are set there.

Depth in talls is big/great between 10-30 so getting multiple picks in that range including the likely best tall at 10 (Essendons pick)

GWS and North also have a history trading top picks when they traded the Cadman pick to GWS

Meanwhile GWS guarantees themselves one of Langford/Lalor

Last edited:
An above average key Defender is worth more than an above average running/small defender with disposal issues.
If McGrath is worth that much then we were right to keep him. You can't say he is BOG and we shouldn't have kept him, then in the next breath say he is worth a top end FA contract. It's one or the other.
OK so clearly you don't understand FA rules.

Compo picks are adjudged at the end of the FA on a balance of gains and losses. Signing McKay on a band 1 contract would have mitigated any possible compensation for Redman/Parish last year (who were both signed on 650-750k reportedly, so NOT band 1).

If they signed elsewhere as FA's we would have lost them for nothing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Recruiting AFL Trade & Free Agency XII - 💰💰💰

Remove this Banner Ad

Back