Recruiting AFL Trade & Free Agency XII - 💰💰💰

Remove this Banner Ad

The problem with Gresham is we played him as a high forward at the contest 70% of the time. Hard to have an impact I50 pressure wise when your work is being done 40 to 100 meters from goal whenever there is a stoppage. that is why he was only 4th for us as far as tackles inside 50. He is not quick so he is not a great pressure player but when he does play 80% plus forward he had some good pressure games.

The issue with Jake this year is it was a bit all or nothing. He had some very good defensive games and some zero impact pressure games. In saying that he was not alone. Once Langford hurt his hip he was pretty much ineffective.

As you say tackles inside 50 we rated 5th. The issue was consistency from all players over the season. It was not totally a Jake Stringer problem. We are also a mid table side for pressure acts and worse than mid table for one percenters which does not help. Have not got the breakdown of the pressure acts in front of me but i suspect forward half pressure acts would not look great.

You are right. We lack speed in the small forwards but I am not hanging it just on Gresham. They are all slow except Davey and there is no speed in the medium guys either. Lets face it without Caddy or Jones who have good speed for KP the rest are a slow bunch including 2MP who gets run off by everyone. If there was a slowest man in the comp award he would get it easily.

I think a Davey and Kako combo could fix alot of that. Maybe even with HJ forward again instead of a 2MP/Draper

And I do not think you are looking at it in the right way. The whole forward mix is not quite right which is part of the reason why we do not get advantage of the high amount of inside 50 entries. In general the forward line is slow across all sizes and they are not great marks combined either. The point for me is something has to change. It is not just Jake at fault and I am not saying he is a horrible player. He is just the one who is 30 and closer to the end with only one year left. My view is you only fit one of Stringer or Langford. Langford wins out as he is a bit younger and is contracted for longer. I am not confident it will happen but we really need to see more of Cox and Perkins forward to have a good look. I am not sold on Jones as a forward as I do not like his marking consistency but does he look better as a forward without Stringer commanding the ball.
My opinion is we are not in challenge mode yet. We are not a total basket case either but what we need to do is keep bringing in a few top 20 picks every year but also find a position for the likes of Cox / Jones / Perkins. That means mvoing some of the old stock out.
As for the price ? well no a pick in the fifties is not a great win just looking at it but there are two factors. 1 - the price will be cheap as lets face it not many are beating down the door to get him. 2 - it is still points to stop us from going into deficit next year. Would be good to get more out of it for sure which is what they will aim at but my view is we need to move him and Shiel and Laverde out to get a look at the next bunch and right now he is the only one moving.
The change would be Caddy, HJ, Kako and Davey for me

Not ridding Stringer for pick 53

This conversation drives me mad to a point. And there are a few pushing this barrow.
There is not a lot we can do to get better next year with the hand we have. That is the simple answer. It is a year where we are in a corner and just have to suck it up and hope we get someone ay 9 and Kako or if they think Kako is the guy then get him and a F1 along with points in the back end of this year. Slow year for brining guys in now but go into next year with 2 first round picks and leave a couple of list spots open for SSP.
It is a different story if we are sitting here full of picks and have players wanting to get to other clubs that we are refusing to trade but it is not.
If we improve it will have to come through Roberts and Bryan playing more and finding a level. Ridley staying on the park. Reid getting on the park. The penny maybe dropping for Cox and Perkins. Draper getting through a pre season and actually being fit at the start. Of course there are a few "ifs" or "maybes" but that is our lot and what we have to work through.
As much as I do not see us in the window for a while yet the fact is we where two narrow losses away from playing finals. I could be wrong but personally I do not think we are going to totally fall of the perch next year and we will be around that 11 win mark. Apart from Stringer we are not losing anyone who makes a real difference.
So getting back to the media talk. Well the answer is not what are we going to do. The answer is circumstances have left us in a bit of a corner and we will have to aim for a couple of little wins this year.
That’s kinda what I mean by paying the piper, in the sense that Rosa doesn’t have a lot to work with. Piper = Dodoro (and to some extent the previous administrations in 2018 in particular)

We’ve known about Kako for years but we still traded out one of this year’s picks last year, so we’ve got nothing left after the bid is accounted for. We don’t have any other currency to work with except to trade one of next year’s picks into this year…

That leaves us with free agency and the bargain bin, with nought to do during the actual trade period except a bit of spring cleaning undoing the last remnants of the 2018 trade period.

As far as free agency goes, those take a lot more investment than Rosa could have made with the time he’s had available. Doesn’t look like Dodoro started on anything in a free agency sense, or if he did the plans were dropped when he stepped down. Perhaps it didn’t align with Rosa/Vozzo/Scott vision, perhaps the change of list manager frightened them off, perhaps it just didn’t exist in the first place.

That’s kinda what I mean by paying the piper, in the sense that Rosa doesn’t have a lot to work with. Piper = Dodoro (and to some extent the previous administrations in 2018 in particular)

We’ve known about Kako for years but we still traded out one of this year’s picks last year, so we’ve got nothing left after the bid is accounted for. We don’t have any other currency to work with except to trade one of next year’s picks into this year…

That leaves us with free agency and the bargain bin, with nought to do during the actual trade period except a bit of spring cleaning undoing the last remnants of the 2018 trade period.

As far as free agency goes, those take a lot more investment than Rosa could have made with the time he’s had available. Doesn’t look like Dodoro started on anything in a free agency sense, or if he did the plans were dropped when he stepped down. Perhaps it didn’t align with Rosa/Vozzo/Scott vision, perhaps the change of list manager frightened them off, perhaps it just didn’t exist in the first place.
This is a bit unfair as we wouldn't have had access to Kako if the top 40 requirement for NGA players wasn't removed midway through the year.

This is a bit unfair as we wouldn't have had access to Kako if the top 40 requirement for NGA players wasn't removed until midway through the year.
Changes like that don’t usually take clubs by surprise. They’re part of the consultation process before the public is informed

This is amazing stuff.
Start of season 1 we were told Scott came in late so didn't have a chance to get a good read on list.
Start of season 2 it was Scott has only had one season with them and it's his first preseason with list, he's just read them the riot act re afl standards so expect significant list changes after this season.
We were also assured that the extensions given to guys already under contract and long contracts given to mcgrath/parish/redman were more about salary cap management so we could bring in the A grade talent we clearly lacking.

So where are we now? haven't been able to convince any role players let alone A grade talent to come in, and the only player we are moving out is a 30 year old who has no trade currency so at most we bring in 2 first rounds (largely due to the kindness of the AFL not any smart strategy by us) and two late picks.

Are the club telling us they rate the list and there isn't much work to be done? If so their whole list management strategy should be posted in the Delusional Pearlers thread. If not their timidness is as embarrassing as dodoros chest thumping.
Id say we will still be a fair chance to get a hawk off load, Prior, Kostanty, Sharp, Dev Robbo type ect

Its very hard for melbourne based clubs now. Been saying this for quite some time now. Your competing with 9 other victorian sides and the amount of adv Geelong have means alot pick Geelong anyway

Baz - Wants non melb based Geelong
Houston - Too old for our profile
Joe Richards - Gone SA
Perryman - We shouldve gone after hard
Battle - Not a list need
Barrass - Not right age profile or list need

We were never going to be an attractive profile. We are a bottom 4/5 side, thats before you even consider the above

Tell me who Richmond, Saints, Dogs, Melbourne, North Melbourne, Blues are getting that are so amazing?

Changes like that don’t usually take clubs by surprise. They’re part of the consultation process before the public is informed
It almost certainly wouldn't have been on the agenda when we traded our third and fourth.

This is amazing stuff.
Start of season 1 we were told Scott came in late so didn't have a chance to get a good read on list.
Start of season 2 it was Scott has only had one season with them and it's his first preseason with list, he's just read them the riot act re afl standards so expect significant list changes after this season.
We were also assured that the extensions given to guys already under contract and long contracts given to mcgrath/parish/redman were more about salary cap management so we could bring in the A grade talent we clearly lacking.

So where are we now? haven't been able to convince any role players let alone A grade talent to come in, and the only player we are moving out is a 30 year old who has no trade currency so at most we bring in 2 first rounds (largely due to the kindness of the AFL not any smart strategy by us) and two late picks.

Are the club telling us they rate the list and there isn't much work to be done? If so their whole list management strategy should be posted in the Delusional Pearlers thread. If not their timidness is as embarrassing as dodoros chest thumping.

So far Brad Scott has shown to be an inept coach and people person. Why would any quality player want to cross? I'm just surprised more players aren't asking to leave. I suspect they will end of next year if he hasn't shown there is a magic to his madness.

Having said that, I also believe this list is pretty good. The only holes will be filled by Z Reid, Kako and Saad.

But if we lose Sheil, and the likes of Tsatas or Hobbs don't come along, then we will be a quality mid short.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So far Brad Scott has shown to be an inept coach and people person. Why would any quality player want to cross? I'm just surprised more players aren't asking to leave. I suspect they will end of next year if he hasn't shown there is a magic to his madness.

Having said that, I also believe this list is pretty good. The only holes will be filled by Z Reid, Kako and Saad.

But if we lose Sheil, and the likes of Tsatas or Hobbs don't come along, then we will be a quality mid short.
Couldn't disagree more with every point in this post

I have been keen to trade up or potentially let another team take Kako if there’s a star still available.

But if the dees offer F1 and F2 for 9 id take that. I reckon the arse could fall out of Melbourne.

Because we aren't trading two first rounders for a Dylan Shiel like we normally do?
Nah that would be the old guard move. But what else are we trying to do change the makeup of the list? We only have 2 live picks in the draft (which is meant to be deep) and our only move is Stringer out for a pick in the 50s (will we even use that)?
We won't even move on guys like Weidaman.
Just seems like we are sitting on our hands, but we were assured that a coach like Scott would deliver that we would finally see the list overhaul/cultural change required. What was the point of us embarrassing ourselves with the Truck sacking.

What's your point?
My point is I think every point you raised is wrong.

Scott is an inept coach and people person. Why would any quality player want to cross? I'm just surprised more players aren't asking to leave - except that he attracted 3 quality free agents as well as Duursma last year and not one signle current player has indicated they want to leave other than those we are effectively pushing out the door

This list is pretty good. The only holes will be filled by Z Reid, Kako and Saad - the list has holes everywhere and is a LONG way off the top teams (or even many middle teams). Reid can't get on the park and Kako and Saad haven't played a single AFL game. All are completely unproven and purely speculative at this point.

If we lose Sheil, and the likes of Tsatas or Hobbs don't come along, then we will be a quality mid short - Mids are probably the strongest area of the list and Shiel only played a few games at the back end of the season.

Only my opinion of course and not trying to throw shade but I think you consistently severely overrate our list and players and put every failure on the coach.

They actually did come as a surprise. Yes there was discussion but every club was surprised it happened this year and was announced mid season. Everyone was expecting next year and where planning for that. :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Recruiting AFL Trade & Free Agency XII - 💰💰💰

Remove this Banner Ad

Back