Recruiting AFL Trade & Free Agency XII - 💰💰💰

Remove this Banner Ad

We get Kako points and a future 1st that will imo be at worst pick 14 if the demons win a final. North’s future 1st would’ve been nice but it is what it is.

Could also grab another future 2nd if someone like the hawks want to trade into this year’s draft after the Barass deal.

Looks like Soldo is stuck with Port

Should go for Dante Visentini (Vigo's brother) for a future 3rd or 4th seeing Draper can go fruit off after next season
No, we'd only be left with our first and second round pick and we'd get the waterworks again from a few individuals who want the draft period to be exciting

This is one scenario where I do not mind that they go early. Doing it makes it clear Kako is the guy. It stops us from going into deficit next year. Gives us some picks in the 40 range this year and gives us plenty of options next year with a full deck of picks plus an extra first round.
What do we lose ? one pick this year if the bid did not come before 9. Maybe a star. Maybe a B grade. Maybe nothing.
Personally I have a slight nagging doubt about how even this top end group is and exactly how good they are. I know clubs want in as it looks like this year is a similar level to last year as far as the guys under Reid / Super Star level.
This was the one scenario I personally had no issue with as far as trading before draft night. Holding was my fist choice but this opens a few windows.
It could also open options for us to get serious with a guy like Maginnes who "could" end up back in on the table.

We get Kako points and a future 1st that will imo be at worst pick 14 if the demons win a final. North’s future 1st would’ve been nice but it is what it is.

Could also grab another future 2nd if someone like the hawks want to trade into this year’s draft after the Barass deal.
Confused Steve Brule GIF by MOODMAN

So the rationale would be to trade back in once the bid comes for Kako?
It is an option. The rational is to maximize options.
If they do it then we have the option to trade back in.
Trade for someone else this year that maybe has not come up.
To not have to rely on draft night trades to stay out of deficit.
To match a Kako bid and still have something left for the 40 to 60 range.
To have future trading power with two first round picks next year plus the rest in tact.

...maybe we know there'd be a buyer. I doubt it though, if the noise about how solid this draft is is actually true.
I think there would have been a buyer. I am pretty certain of that. I know I was in the hold until draft night camp but the more you look at this it makes sense in my view. It just gives so many more options as the points will be covered and we have something up our sleeve as far as 2 x F1 picks. The multiple back end picks make it work.

It probably is but it is the season for clubs to be feeding their media favorites with information designed to bluff other clubs. It is not out of the realms of possibility that the Saints rate Kako. Lets face it Kako has been rated at around 15 or there about all season and had a good Champ series and was strong in the Coates before he got injured so you are only looking at him being up 7 spots . He is a real competitor which is what clubs like.
I think we are still in a good position either way. No bid and we get two players in the top 20. If there is a bid we will get a future first for 9 on the night so we have 1 guy this year and two first round next year.
I know lots want two this year and that is the best scenario but I think you agree that two first rounds next year plays out well. Who knows. I am not one to ever think too much about Harley Reid but for dreaming sake "if" he wants out of WC next year we could offer two first rounds and a F1. Not that it is my preferred thing to do but I think you would agree that having two first rounds next year gives us a few different options.
I am 80% sure we will get a pick before the bid. I know every draft ranking has him at 12 plus but there is a slight chance someone rates him as the best small forward even with Berry and Hotton.
Anyway I do not think we really lose whatever happens. Even if we decide not to match. We have 3 scenarios that still net us a good result.

Yeah, valid points.

I’ve been a fairly big advocate for trading into the future as an option. If we did this, at least getting some collateral back for this year is paramount.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

North arent offering us all the later picks too so we can bid on Kako.
North didn't offer other picks. We need the 28 and 40 for the Kako bid
Who cares - You can find those, we are getting at least Pick 53 (233 points) for Stringer and you could squeeze a third rounder from someone with a F3, and there's the points you need (along with our 2nd) to match a bid from Pick 8 onwards.

Meanwhile Melbourne are every chance of jumping next year with two top 10 picks, a returning Petracca and a bottom 6 draw whilst Norf will be lucky to get out of the bottom 5.

You can scrape together points - the league has shown you that.
What you can't do is make up the value between Pick 2-5 next year (Norf) and pick 10-18 (Melbourne) in a supposedly top ended draft.

Also it's a Pick only trade, it could be done all the way up to the draft, allowing you to bleed out better offers as the draft draws near (or on draft night). I just have no idea why we went early here.

I agree there is no point doing anything until draft night but the rankings are what they are as no one has an exact order of how they rate them. I am in a position to discuss some of this with lower level recruiting guys and without giving anything away they all say there will be some surprises this year simply because of how even the top 15 is. It will come down to if clubs rate certain guys and some clubs may go with a pick to fill a need inside the top 10 more than best available if they have more than 1 picks. The Tigers may end up with 3 top 10 picks so they could easily do it. My view is reported rankings so far are not what they have been in previous years because we have never had a draft like this where no one can pin down number one or even the top 5. The move is 100% hold unless someone offers up something like future F1 & F2 and picks for this year .
Guess this is something like that :)

Yeah, valid points.

I’ve been a fairly big advocate for trading into the future as an option. If we did this, at least getting some collateral back for this year is paramount.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looks like we are a chance if Cal is right.

Meh…this time next year everyone will be talking up the 2025 draft.
Can always buy back into ‘24 draft if someone like Shanahan drifts (GWS, Swans, Tigers have multiple picks). Can upgrade 40 to 35 as part of the stringer deal. If Dees ‘25 pick is top ten we can split it and get picks in ‘26 for H.Reid.
Everyone knows we will get Kako so that bid probably blows out to 15…life’s good 👍

Yeh when hasnt a draft been talked up?

Everyone gets caught in the Twomey, Beveridge media jerk for each draft

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This would be great but I can’t see it happening.

The midfield is a big issue. If we want to truly develop the likes of Hobbs, Tsatas and Perkins then they need genuine time in the AFL midfield. There is no way known Scott will play them ahead of Merrett, Parish, Caldwell or Durham. Or even Shiel, based on what we saw this year.

I’m at an absolute loss as to how those three are ever going to be given a chance to develop. They can’t get midfield game time.
Perkins got his go and failed. Now needs to bash doors down again to get another go. He will be looked at in a lesser role now, wing, which i thinks the go

Getting a guy like Kako helps Hobbs. He could replace Gresham now if we have the balls.... i hope we do. He will come upto stoppage alot more. I think his speed may impact him ever being a great CBA mid

If Zac Merrett plays half back then Tsatas can certainly get a go aswell

Ridley - Mckay - Mcgrath (Roberts/El Hawli)
Redman - Reid - Zerrett

Martin - Caldwell - Duursma (Perkins)
Bryan - Durhan - Parish (Tsatas)

Hobbs - H.Jones - Davey (Draper)
Kako - Caddy - Langford

The other thing with the Harley Reid thing is that if trading future picks two years in advance comes in as expected for net year, that also gives some flexibility to trade out our 027 F1 which in all likely hood would seem destined to be absorbed by Bewick at this rate.

It does feel like the godfather offer to Reid/WC is coming next year.

Perkins got his go and failed. Now needs to bash doors down again to get another go. He will be looked at in a lesser role now, wing, which i thinks the go

Getting a guy like Kako helps Hobbs. He could replace Gresham now if we have the balls.... i hope we do. He will come upto stoppage alot more. I think his speed may impact him ever being a great CBA mid

If Zac Merrett plays half back then Tsatas can certainly get a go aswell

Ridley - Mckay - Mcgrath (Roberts/El Hawli)
Redman - Reid - Zerrett

Martin - Caldwell - Duursma (Perkins)
Bryan - Durhan - Parish (Tsatas)

Hobbs - H.Jones - Davey (Draper)
Kako - Caddy - Langford

Would not be moving Merrett out of the midfield in a million years. That’s just crazy talk!

Hey that top Elite 8 looking pretty good compared to rest
There are 3 or 4 outside the elite 8 going okay too. Anyway that is done. No need to be going back down that rabbit hole :)

Swans offered 19 & 22 for 13. Suns said no.
This Dees deal was offered for 13. Suns said no, or at least hadn’t yet said yes.

What would the Swans have offered for 9? More than they did for 13, I’d wager.

Jason Taylor briefing The Age has worked.
I’ll leave you to it
19 and 22 get absorbed on the bid for Kako

We want earlier picks or F1s, we have an F1

I still wouldve held out even if someone was telling me theyd bid top 9 picks

You mayblose a smidge leverage live, but in a bidding war most of that is subsided and clubs want pick 9 that much that they give really good deals to beat the other still

I think there would have been a buyer. I am pretty certain of that. I know I was in the hold until draft night camp but the more you look at this it makes sense in my view. It just gives so many more options as the points will be covered and we have something up our sleeve as far as 2 x F1 picks. The multiple back end picks make it work.
My fingers are firmly crossed.

I wonder if they would have an bit of an agreement with GWS as part of a Stringer trade. A bunch of picks at the 2nd of the 1st round. We give Stringer away cheap the discussed 50s pick and an option to by in one of those picks if someone slips on the night They acadamy picks for next year?

Would not be moving Merrett out of the midfield in a million years. That’s just crazy talk!
Dont think so

Hes not the main cog in the midfield in our next challenge

Also a decent opening across half back especially would love some left footers down there. That move was on the cards a few years ago and wasnt kept with because of 1 half against a very good side

Remove this Banner Ad

Recruiting AFL Trade & Free Agency XII - 💰💰💰

Remove this Banner Ad

Back