Recruiting AFL Trade & Free Agency XII - 💰💰💰

Remove this Banner Ad

Plus it puts them in the right range for players they actually need over more midfielders.
That too I guess

I think the riffraff and trade radio wonks comparing the numbers might think it’s dumb but I’d be fairly happy if that my my club making that trade

West Coast got played. Pick 3 for two late firsts (after academy bids) and Owies is a choice especially for a rebuilding club that lacks elite talent. They're also giving up one of their firsts for a 27y/o Liam Baker. I don't get it.

It's the Carlton part I'm thinking is dumb.

They've given up two firsts and potentially a high second round pick if they implode next year for pick 3 and probably a late second next year. In a very even draft.

West Coast got played. Pick 3 for two late firsts (after academy bids) and Owies is a choice especially for a rebuilding club that lacks elite talent.
It's pick 3 for a mid first and Baker.

It's nowhere near as bad as what most think.

It's the Carlton part I'm thinking is dumb.

They've given up two firsts and potentially a high second round pick if they implode next year for pick 3 and probably a late second next year. In a very even draft.
Don’t they need a bunch of points for their FS picks? Maybe it’ll tie into something around that

Don’t they need a bunch of points for their FS picks? Maybe it’ll tie into something around that
Neither bloke looks like they'll be going top 30, maybe even top 40. And they can't trade out their F3 for more points either with the loss of their F1.

It's pick 3 for a mid first and Baker.

It's nowhere near as bad as what most think.
A 27y/o Baker for a rebuilding club? I'd be mad if we spent a first on a 27y/o Baker and we're ahead of West Coast in rebuilding.

I think the deal is pretty strange from both sides, but I guess Carlton are putting all their eggs into one player which i can understand as contenders. It's risky but clubs like GWS and Melbourne have traded up to select elite talent for years. There is no reason for West Coast to be entering this draft like a mid-table team with all of the holes on their list and the lack of elite talent so I don't understand their decision at all.

Richmond are by far the winners in that trade.

It's only ok, if you consider it as the only way to get the deal done. They could've got this done way cheaper. Baker was out of contract, he was not going back to the Tigers.

Barrass for 14+F2nd was offered by the Hawks, That 14 for Baker and 24 would get accepted by the Tigers eventually.
Everyone seems to say this but we are just on the outside looking in. Same with our trade. We do not know 100% what 18 clubs are thinking or have planned. All we know is each year we get excited by someone in the top 10 so if a club does something different they are crazy.
Eagles get a very good player and a leader plus a guy who can kick 30 goals. If they get it right the bloke they get with 12 could well be as good as whoever goes at 3 . This draft is rated because it is so even from 1 to 15 . Maybe deeper. It is not a top 10 dominant draft.

Everyone seems to say this but we are just on the outside looking in. Same with our trade. We do not know 100% what 18 clubs are thinking or have planned. All we know is each year we get excited by someone in the top 10 so if a club does something different they are crazy.
Eagles get a very good player and a leader plus a guy who can kick 30 goals. If they get it right the bloke they get with 12 could well be as good as whoever goes at 3 . This draft is rated because it is so even from 1 to 15 . Maybe deeper. It is not a top 10 dominant draft.

We know Hawks were offering 14+F2nd. They could've done this deal way cheaper. The only thing I don't know is, maybe the Eagles will not trade Barrass, maybe they never intended to trade him, I guess we'll see.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A 27y/o Baker for a rebuilding club? I'd be mad if we spent a first on a 27y/o Baker and we're ahead of West Coast in rebuilding.

I think the deal is pretty strange from both sides, but I guess Carlton are putting all their eggs into one player which i can understand as contenders. It's risky but clubs like GWS and Melbourne have traded up to select elite talent for years. There is no reason for West Coast to be entering this draft like a mid-table team with all of the holes on their list so I don't understand their decision at all.

Richmond are by far the winners in that trade.
A guy who's never really been seriously injured (so has 5+ years left) is a high impact 20 touch midfielder. Who also happens to be a very good leader. The difference between 3 and 12 (or 4 and 15, whichever way you spin it) is so small this year according to all the experts.

Carlton aren't contenders. Their defence is way too shit and instead of trying to fix it they've gone a hail Mary for what will likely be a player they don't need whether that's Lalor, O'Sullivan, Smith or Draper instead of using two picks to fill the massive hole on their list.

Here's to it blowing up in their faces.

We know Hawks were offering 14+F2nd. They could've done this deal way cheaper. The only thing I don't know is, maybe the Eagles will not trade Barrass, maybe they never intended to trade him, I guess we'll see.
If that trade goes ahead they’ll walk away 12 and 14 + a few additional picks, it’s pretty good in an even draft. It’s not like they’re handing over the keys to an outstanding top 3 of the draft

If that trade goes ahead they’ll walk away 12 and 14 + a few additional picks, it’s pretty good in an even draft. It’s not like they’re handing over the keys to an outstanding top 3 of the draft

Barrass for 14+F2nd
Baker+24 for 14 (probably gets accepted late in the period but zero doubts it gets accepted)

Then if they want to trade 3, they can trade 3 to Carlton for 12, F1, 34 and Owies. (Exactly what Carlton payed)

A guy who's never really been seriously injured (so has 5+ years left) is a high impact 20 touch midfielder. Who also happens to be a very good leader. The difference between 3 and 12 (or 4 and 15, whichever way you spin it) is so small this year according to all the experts.

Carlton aren't contenders. Their defence is way too shit and instead of trying to fix it they've gone a hail Mary for what will likely be a player they don't need whether that's Lalor, O'Sullivan, Smith or Draper instead of using two picks to fill the massive hole on their list.

Here's to it blowing up in their faces.

You misspelled **** Carlton.

West Coast got played. Pick 3 for two late firsts (after academy bids) and Owies is a choice especially for a rebuilding club that lacks elite talent. They're also giving up one of their firsts for a 27y/o Liam Baker. I don't get it.

Bids shuffling picks down is relevant if West Coast has somehow missed that there are players tied to academies, ect.

Those players are not part of the talent pool. It does not matter whether you take pick 12 or pick 15 if the 3 additional picks were for players who you can't select anyway.

Look at it this way, would West Coast's situation be any different if the academy players were not considered good enough for the early bids?

I didn't mind West Coast's deal

They prob realised Bo Allan would be a stretch to pick at 3 and he should still be available at 13 as the first WA boy

Owies has kicked 60 goals in the last 2 years combined = good get

Baker gives them some on field leadership that they've been craving with the exodus of some old fogeys

Bids shuffling picks down is relevant if West Coast has somehow missed that there are players tied to academies, ect.

Those players are not part of the talent pool. It does not matter whether you take pick 12 or pick 15 if the 3 additional picks were for players who you can't select anyway.

Look at it this way, would West Coast's situation be any different if the academy players were not considered good enough for the early bids?
I don't think there's that much difference between 12 and 15 in talent anyway, but the deal is still awful for West Coast. It would have been ok if they kept both, but to give one for a 27y/o at their stage of rebuild? Rosa wouldn't survive if he did that let alone a bottom team like West Coast.

They'll be picking like a finals side with a bad list. They could have done better far better.

I don't think there's that much difference between 12 and 15 in talent anyway, but the deal is still awful for West Coast. It would have been ok if they kept both, but to give one for a 27y/o at their stage of rebuild? Rosa wouldn't survive if he did that let alone a bottom team like West Coast.

They'll be picking like a finals side with a bad list. They could have done better far better.

They've accumulate quite a bit of first and second round talent since 2021 which represent their return to the first and second round after deals post 2018 premiership.

2021: Chesser (pick 14, 32 games), Hough (pick 31, 53 games), Bazzo (pick 37, 21 games)
2022: Culley (MSD pick 1, 8 games), Ginbey (pick, 40 games), Hewitt (pick 14, 14 games), Barnett (pick 23, 2 games), Burgiel (pick 29, 0 games)
2023: Maric (MSD pick 1, 19 games), H. Reid (pick 1, 20 games), A. Reid (pick 30, 0 games), Hall (pick 38, 3 games)
2024: pick 12 and pick 26.

That's 14 picks in 4 years of first and second round players. I include Culley and Maric because they were 19 year olds takes at 1 in the MSD when the clear consensus seems to have been that they were top 30 calibre players. I don't know much about a lot of players in the list but they're playing when fit. Barenett, for example, is a very highly regarded ruckman. A. Reid is a ruck-sized KPP so I am not worried about 2 games for their collective 3 years on the list. Players 'making it' is very self-fulfilling when you combine a rebuild, football department competence and first and second round picks. I'd expect 10 to 12 of these players to 10 year players, without looking at rookies and trades over the same period.

I can see why they've gone for Baker. It's been a long time being beaten up on the bottom, even a bit longer than usual for the club that has turned tanking into an art form.

Remove this Banner Ad

Recruiting AFL Trade & Free Agency XII - 💰💰💰

Remove this Banner Ad

Back