Recruiting AFL Trade & Free Agency XII - 💰💰💰

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure what you disagree with

Im talking about Brad in his 4th year, if that year is his 4th consecutive finals miss, does he get a renewed contract?

I hope so, i think hes the right man, but hasnt been the essendon way after those results, and many before him have been giving leas time with those results
Apologies, I wasn't clear, I disagreed with your comment that "We must nail a big free agent next year"

I don't think we should be looking to score a FA sugar hit. We need to be youth focused, the only exception would be if Harley can be lured, otherwise we have to focus solely on draft.

Apologies, I wasn't clear, I disagreed with your comment that "We must nail a big free agent next year"

I don't think we should be looking to score a FA sugar hit. We need to be youth focused, the only exception would be if Harley can be lured, otherwise we have to focus solely on draft.
Trading players in is crucial to success, even more so when theyre free and you also get a quality 18 yr old aswell

FAs dont stop the access to bringing youth in

Literally no one is saying this.
I am

He shouldve been kept for trade period negotiations imo. Hes one of the best there is

People going to blame the poor next 4 years all on Dodoro aswell, when Rosa should be having an impact in that time if hes worth his salt

Yeah but We have also offloaded multiple starting best 22 players, and frankly there is sweet **** all to replace them. Our playing list is in all sorts…

I reckon we are going to take a huge backwards step next year unless some major breakouts occur across the list. Wether that backwards step is the right thing to do to develop the kids is the question.

We are entering 3rd year of Scott’s 4 year deal. He and barnham would starting to get very nervous for next season I think. If it’s a shit show, they are dead man walking.

I am not confident we are doing the right thing, but I’m always happy to be proven wrong….

We’ve traded currency in to next year, could easily end up with two picks inside the top 10 after Melbourne’s effort this year, possibly one of those inside the top 5.

We’ll add Kako this year, we’ve opened up spots from best 22 regulars in Heppell, Stringer and Kelly for a number of the younger guys we’ve needed experience to fill.

I think it’s a good move. Not an exciting one, not one that will necessary have 2025 look drastically better than 2024, but one that will set us up for the future.

One of dodoro’s biggest flaws was he’d spend capital to bring in players that would block replicate and block guys we should be developing.

Rosa has enabled the team to build depth by splitting pick 9 and created opportunities for guys to compete for spots while having enough vets for culture and structure purposes.

If a few of the young guys break out (Kako/Tsatas/caddy/Hayes/Reid/ect) we’re going to feel very different about this trade period mid season

If they don’t then we’ll likely trade some players out and have more access to elite talent at the top of the draft to further turnover the list

Yeah but We have also offloaded multiple starting best 22 players, and frankly there is sweet **** all to replace them. Our playing list is in all sorts…

I reckon we are going to take a huge backwards step next year unless some major breakouts occur across the list. Wether that backwards step is the right thing to do to develop the kids is the question.

We are entering 3rd year of Scott’s 4 year deal. He and barnham would starting to get very nervous for next season I think. If it’s a shit show, they are dead man walking.

I am not confident we are doing the right thing, but I’m always happy to be proven wrong….
How can we play youth, if we don't move players like Heppell, Hind, Kelly and Stringer? But I do agree with you re. Scott, I think he's on thin ice and still have no idea if he's the right man for the job.

Caleb Daniel for 25 is mind boggling.

Riolo for 6 and whatever makes you think that any semi component club can build quickly because the rest have no idea.

As for us, on face value, looks like we've done nothing but go backwards. If this is supposed to be a decent draft we needed to nail an extra pick alongside Kako.

There is no point going backwards and still having guys like Setter field and Sheil on the list.

And why is Weideman still on the list.

Agree with Owen. Dodoro had a habit of bringing in players that perpetuated middling but had us excited about winning trade week. A few good wins here and there and he was able to be exonnerated, but ultimately we've kept players for too long because they became seen as 'loyal servants.'

Rosa's work so far hasn't been sexy in terms of pleasing the crowd, but he has made good moves. What happens with Laverde and Weid now will be interesting.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon you'll find that Scott and Rosa have the mandate to do this.

Those multiple best 22 players had us making up the numbers in this comp.
No one came for any of them, bar Stringer. For pick 53.

Their mediocrity = our continued mediocrity. Scott has spent considerable time learning about the players, as he said he would. Now he has space to run Tsatas, Hobbs, Reid and Hayes. We need to learn about how they perform at AFL level. You get the sense this year might be it for Perkins and less so, but maybe, Cox to show they can perform at AFL level as well.

If you can accept that we needed to let players go, and likely to go backwards in performance in order to turn the list over and do it better, it makes it easier to understand and go with.

Trading out our first may put some clubs on the back foot and simply go “they’ll match anyways”. Even if our first is now elsewhere.

Good move that imho may have pushed a bid back from 8, 9, 10 to 16, 17, 18

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
More likely to work the other way. Clubs picking early may not want Kako but they know we’ll match so no harm in putting in a bid and making us pay maximum.

So final pieces to go are Weideman and Davey.

Reckon we delist Weid and that we shift Davey to the rookie list.
Agreed. Think Weid's spot was tied to whether or not we got a trade for Laverde

Remove this Banner Ad

Recruiting AFL Trade & Free Agency XII - 💰💰💰

Remove this Banner Ad

Back