Recruiting AFL Trade & Free Agency XII - 💰💰💰

Remove this Banner Ad

Even if Daniher was released the year before and got that extra round 1 pick, was still an average draft.

Should’ve set ourselves up for multiple first round picks this year. Hopefully we trade back into 1st round as well as taking Kako.
A bit hard to do when players worth first round picks are thin on the ground.

NGL i have this odd feeling that JUH will be a bomber in the future

No intel nothing just an odd feeling
If it happens I predict it will be at 7.27pm on a Wednesday :thumbsu:

Other teams have bid early on players, not sure what you mean? Why wouldn’t they though? You seriously expect us to pass and effectively give a first round pick?

Yeah hopefully. Wonder if part of the deal with Dees is they bid at 9 if he’s still there?

There hasn’t really been a spree of bidding way too early for players as everyone knows eventually they’ll have an academy player or father-son of their own.

Daicos went later than expected given in an open draft he very easily could / would have gone at pick 1 and no one bid until pick 4.

Clubs aren’t going to bid way over the odds on Kako knowing they won’t get him anyway just for the purpose of making us overpay.

We shouldve drafted Gulden, Holmes and Bruhn

What the hell Dodo

The logic of going KPP heavy at the start of a list reset was sound enough, Reid is clearly very talented but his body has failed him, Cox and Perkins have both played regularly and haven’t come on in 2024 as we’d have liked.

Hopefully next year we see some signs of like from Perkins that he can be a more consistent AFL player as he has all the physical tools he needs.

Agree

Id hope we get a FA so losing Draper or not will likely be obselete

Just need to bottom out for a bit and not launch too early. You need a serious amount of top 10 picks these days

Why do you want to take a FA next year? And who?

The logic of going KPP heavy at the start of a list reset was sound enough, Reid is clearly very talented but his body has failed him, Cox and Perkins have both played regularly and haven’t come on in 2024 as we’d have liked.

Hopefully next year we see some signs of like from Perkins that he can be a more consistent AFL player as he has all the physical tools he needs.

Whilst probably true I still don't want to rule out the possibility we cannot develop talls properly and it was us that failed him.

We shouldve drafted Gulden, Holmes and Bruhn

What the hell Dodo

Bruhn is terrible. His stats are worse than Ben Hobbs from 23 and he's playing full time mid in the great side.

Even there is reasoning that a 188cm Perkins was going to take time

Weve seen the Trac, Rayner, JDG guys take a bit longer

So theres still very small hope, albeit its small and thats why a further rest has been required

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So that bottom line is that those players who are gone have had enough time on the list to show us their ceiling. With them, we proved middling at best.

We have young players who might be better, might not. But we have to play them to find out.

Yes, we may go backwards, but that's how it goes. We should be consistently cutting and redrafting/recruiting until we get it right and do better, not middling for another 20 years.

Most people here seem to have accepted this. Be ready. We're going to lose games, but with calculated drafting (the draftees are not totaaly unknown) it should be a step back to take two steps forward.

i agree

thats all i was saying

Bruhn is terrible. His stats are worse than Ben Hobbs from 23 and he's playing full time mid in the great side.
That would be like saying Dangerfield is terrible his stats have never been at Parish 2021-22 levels

Bruhn is only getting 60% game time, and with that avg 20 disposals a game

Basically the same as Hobbs 23

There is a reason Bruhn is a mid in an ever top 4 side and Hobbs cant even get a CBA in an ever bottom 8 side

Plus Hobbs is an accumulator

Theres a reason one has 0 votes in his career and the other polled 7 votes. Youll know which one

Im ok with Hobbs, i hope he is the beneficiary of some changes and gets mid time

That would be like saying Dangerfield is terrible his stats have never been at Parish 2021-22 levels

Bruhn is only getting 60% game time, and with that avg 20 disposals a game

Basically the same as Hobbs 23

There is a reason Bruhn is a mid in an ever top 4 side and Hobbs cant even get a CBA in an ever bottom 8 side

Plus Hobbs is an accumulator

Theres a reason one has 0 votes in his career and the other polled 7 votes. Youll know which one

Im ok with Hobbs, i hope he is the beneficiary of some changes and gets mid time

All this shows is that midfield stats aren't necessarily important to functional game plan. Geelong have a pretty terrible midfield right now and it doesn't matter given the strength of the rest of their side. He also only averages 60% game time cause that's his fitness base at 23.

This isn't an advocation of Hobbs who also shouldn't be near the team right now.

Whilst probably true I still don't want to rule out the possibility we cannot develop talls properly and it was us that failed him.

I think we’ve done ok with KPDs over the stretch. Hurley, Hooker, Carlisle all very high quality. We developed BZT well IMO, for a guy who isn’t a physical specimen he turned in to a solid defender for us. Hayes looks to be developing well.

It’s probably the one area of the ground we seem to have consistently managed to internally draft and develop players to AFL standard.

All this shows is that midfield stats aren't necessarily important to functional game plan. Geelong have a pretty terrible midfield right now and it doesn't matter given the strength of the rest of their side. He also only averages 60% game time cause that's his fitness base at 23.

This isn't an advocation of Hobbs who also shouldn't be near the team right now.

It shows that stats need to be looked at deeper

I guess it also depends how you determine a strong midfield or not? What stats do you use?

Geelong also rotate more through there and have less secondary positions for some of their mids

Hobbs should be in the team all of next year, we need to find out about him, hes been ready to go since day 1 and just hasnt been able to find a spot. Hopefully 30-40% CBAs and 30-50% starting fwd

But what Bruhn is doing in 60% TOG is impressive

Do we think Scott will go with a youth movement or just pick the best side available despite age?

I think he has every right to pick any player on the list if he thinks it’s gonna be more chance of winning the game.

If tsatas and Hobbs are playing vfl with Shiel and setterfield in the side are we going to blame Scott for that?

My opinion is, Rosa sets the direction with the list and Scott try’s to win games.

Do we think Scott will go with a youth movement or just pick the best side available despite age?

I think he has every right to pick any player on the list if he thinks it’s gonna be more chance of winning the game.

If tsatas and Hobbs are playing vfl with Shiel and setterfield in the side are we going to blame Scott for that?

My opinion is, Rosa sets the direction with the list and Scott try’s to win games.

Probably a bit of both.

You want the younger guys to get opportunities if they are deserving (or close to it) of them and he has made room for Tsatas/Caddy the past few years so you’d expect Kako to get a crack early.

Selection pressure/integrity is also good and we know Scott unfortunately overly favors vets (who make less mistakes) over young players (who do more good things)

So how he balances that will be interesting to see

Sheil’s gotta get to 100 games.
Why? I would get it if he was in the 90's and we can rush the games in but if he doesn't it's no big deal. I'd rather get development into our young players.

Why? I would get it if he was in the 90's and we can rush the games in but if he doesn't it's no big deal. I'd rather get development into our young players.

Because the AFL’s nepotism rule is still a big advantage even with the changed curve and Sheil’s an elite athlete who still has a few years left of decent football. Yet with the way aging in football works his production far outweighs his trade value.

So may as well keep him. Trade Caldwell for something really good if we have to.

Because the AFL’s nepotism rule is still a big advantage even with the changed curve and Sheil’s an elite athlete who still has a few years left of decent football. Yet with the way aging in football works his production far outweighs his trade value.

So may as well keep him. Trade Caldwell for something really good if we have to.
Right. More important to have someone maybe qualify for FS than win a flag.

I think we’ve done ok with KPDs over the stretch. Hurley, Hooker, Carlisle all very high quality. We developed BZT well IMO, for a guy who isn’t a physical specimen he turned in to a solid defender for us. Hayes looks to be developing well.

It’s probably the one area of the ground we seem to have consistently managed to internally draft and develop players to AFL standard.

I think I'm more referring to the 200cm beanpole types or guys that fall a bit outside the norm.
Your more built guys appear to be ok.

Whilst it might just be bad luck, we have been sub par in so many areas I don't want to just dismiss a players injury history as on them and bad luck.

Remove this Banner Ad

Recruiting AFL Trade & Free Agency XII - 💰💰💰

Remove this Banner Ad

Back