News AFL Tribunal appeals board upholds Houston's 5 Week Suspension

Remove this Banner Ad

This will be Houston's Andrew gaff moment .

Out of character, done for the season with his team on verge of top 2 and might be his last game for port .

He is a very important player for port and now someone else gets attention
Wonder what Gaff would get now?
12? 15?

It's the ground that did the damage. The reverse angle shows his head hit the ground and that's when the lights go out.
Yeah I saw that, but I’m not convinced that he wasn’t on the way out on the way down.

I’d love to see it not be a suspension because it was a legal bump, but I’m a dinosaur apparently.

I’ve agreed with Houston’s likely suspension, and those examples in my post.

What do you think about the other deliberate actions where players have options?
The AFL have tied themselves in knots by going after outcomes rather than actions. But that's how it is.

Would you believe that Port ended up with the free kick?
Because they did

Crows got the first 5 frees of the night and Port had a mark not paid that should have and that was it they were always going to **** us after that

Butters somehow a bigger diver than Robbie Gray was
Butters’ diving is embarrassing… though to be fair, the way the game’s umpired, players are encouraged to flop.

For him to play a prelim it would need to get the minimum charge, careless severe high is 3 minimum, and then Port would have to lose a home final in week one.

Much more likely he gets 4 and port win week one, or he gets 5 and it doesn't matter if port win or lose. Very very slim chance he plays again this year. I'd be stunned if he does
Just like Gaff the AFL will ensure he doesn't play again this year so will give him 5+. The last thing they will want is him coming back for a Grand Final

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I believe that's what the OP was suggesting. Port ended up with the ball after an act that will likely be the biggest suspension of the regular season.

What free are the umpires you going to pay ? He didn’t hit him high and he was entitled to bump.

The tribunal are able to now act on it based on impact and result of the jump but im not sure what free you can actually pay according to the rules.

This won’t be the first or last time a tribunal makes a call on a contest that the umpires were ok with.

Surely it’s time?
Absurd that we have situations like Houston lining up and knocking out one of Adelaide’s most important opposition players in a tight game. Yet while Rankine is done for the day, Houston plays on.
We all know he’s done for 4+ weeks… why shouldn’t the suspension begin the moment he commits the act?

Of all the dumb things in football, this is by far the dumbest.

We are nation of such utter halfwits that after 160 years of organized Aussie Rules matches, we still haven't figured out that rewarding teams for sniping players on the other team illegally is a really, really stupid system.

Players need to be able to be sent off and we need more substitutes.

Of all the dumb things in football, this is by far the dumbest.

We are nation of such utter halfwits that after 160 years of organized Aussie Rules matches, we still haven't figured out that rewarding teams for sniping players on the other team illegally is a really, really stupid system.

Players need to be able to be sent off and we need more substitutes.
Is there another team sport on earth where an umpire/referee is unable to send a player off for violent conduct blatantly outside of the rules?
There may be, but i can’t think of one.

No, umpires would give red cards for the smallest thing, better how it is. The player will be penalized after the match by better judges.

This is the extreme false dichotomy invented by people as an excuse for not doing something more sensible. Umpires should not be able to hand out red cards purely off discretion.

What should happen is that player can only be sent off if the player on the other team has been removed from the game too. And the offending team should still be able to sub in a player, not screw the game up by making them go a man down.

Is there another team sport on earth where an umpire/referee is unable to send a player off for violent conduct blatantly outside of the rules?
There may be, but i can’t think of one.

Open to the discussion my only thing is it should be for purely and simply non football instances only, not sure I’d agree with a tackle gone wrong as a red card offence and we’d then have Bedford type ones being red carded when there was zilch wrong with the action

Open to the discussion my only thing is it should be for purely and simply non football instances only, not sure I’d agree with a tackle gone wrong as a red card offence and we’d then have Bedford type ones being red carded when there was zilch wrong with the action
Agreed.
I’d also suggest a team shouldn’t be made to play with 17… they should just lose a rotation.

Remove this Banner Ad

News AFL Tribunal appeals board upholds Houston's 5 Week Suspension

Remove this Banner Ad

Back