News AFL Tribunal appeals board upholds Houston's 5 Week Suspension

Remove this Banner Ad

Agreed.
I’d also suggest a team shouldn’t be made to play with 17… they should just lose a rotation.

Yeah 100%. I wouldn’t mind the rugby union rule being enforced basically it’s a send off for 20mins (so the bunker can do an analysis whether it fits the parameters of a send off offence) then you can replace the player (in our game the sub used)

Of all the dumb things in football, this is by far the dumbest.

We are nation of such utter halfwits that after 160 years of organized Aussie Rules matches, we still haven't figured out that rewarding teams for sniping players on the other team illegally is a really, really stupid system.

Players need to be able to be sent off and we need more substitutes.
Yellow and red cards like the ammo’s and round ball
Easy

3 weeks is fair

How on earth is it worth less than a number of incidents that got 4 weeks? 4 weeks is ridiculously light he’s taken Rankine out for next weeks game.

Gut feel it ends with 5 weeks so he can’t play a GF.

Is there another team sport on earth where an umpire/referee is unable to send a player off for violent conduct blatantly outside of the rules?
There may be, but i can’t think of one.

I think in extreme cases ump's should have the ability to eject players for particularly violent, illegal actions. But the problem is that trying to sell this will just result in the media halfwits scaring people with the idea of out-of-control umps handing out red cards like candy.

That's why I think my suggestion is better as a first step towards sanity.

Would you believe that Port ended up with the free kick?
Because they did

Crows got the first 5 frees of the night and Port had a mark not paid that should have and that was it they were always going to **** us after that

Butters somehow a bigger diver than Robbie Gray was
They did not end up with a free kick, take your rubbish elsewhere. The ump said it wasn't high and the continuing play seen Port mark the ball.

Last edited:
How on earth is it worth less than a number of incidents that got 4 weeks? 4 weeks is ridiculously light he’s taken Rankine out for next weeks game.

Gut feel it ends with 5 weeks so he can’t play a GF.
He didn't hit the head from what I saw. It was the whiplash that gave him concussion imo.

He didn't hit the head from what I saw. It was the whiplash that gave him concussion imo.

Doesn’t matter he’s liable for any head contact direct or indirect. It’s a bare minimum of 4 weeks as being subbed out triggers an automatic severe loading which is a 4 week minimum. Doubt they want him available for a grand final it’s a por look so give him 5, done

Doesn’t matter he’s liable for any head contact direct or indirect. It’s a bare minimum of 4 weeks as being subbed out triggers an automatic severe loading which is a 4 week minimum. Doubt they want him available for a grand final it’s a por look so give him 5, done
The tribunal have a record of giving less weeks when finals are involved.
Houston is usually a ball player, he's no Maynard.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I did some digging on the Webster incident and posted it over on the Port board, thought it might be interesting to some of you so I'll chuck it up here too.

1000012878.png

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/af...o/news-story/bc39d1d9917dcb3506a539a1eb6fa842

I went and did some digging into the MRO / Tribunal guidelines and the sanctions for Webster earlier this year.

I would've assumed since he chose to bump it would be deemed intentional. But apparently Webster's was deemed careless, maybe because it's a football act?

All of this quote
"This incident was entirely avoidable. Webster launched into a relatively defenceless Simpkin. He had time to consider his alternatives. The impact was violent and the consequences for Simpkin were heavy. Nonetheless, the offence was graded careless."
could and probably would be applied to Houston's action. So I reckon you tick off careless and severe.

Maybe it's possible to argue it's body contact? I don't think so though, given Rankine appears out before he hits the ground. That being said, Looking at Houston's compared to Webster's, the ball is closer by the time Houston bumps and he stays on the ground with no stray elbows. It doesn't even draw a free. So even though I reckon it'll be considered head high I reckon they'll be able to argue it deserves less weeks than Webster's.

I reckon it shakes out at 6 but I could see a world where it gets down to 4 or 5. Can't see it getting any lower, but can't see it getting equal to or higher than Webster's 7.

But who knows

Hypothetically if it was body contact only why shouldnt he be free to play? Contact sport end of the day
SmartSelect_20240722_174238_Samsung Notes.jpg
It can be "reasonably foreseen" that choosing to bump may have caused high contact, and choosing to bump was "unreasonable in the circumstance" because Rankine is holding the pill so tackling him is an option instead

Basically even if the bump was otherwise legal if you have an alternative and you ko them, you have committed an offence

Remove this Banner Ad

News AFL Tribunal appeals board upholds Houston's 5 Week Suspension

Remove this Banner Ad

Back