News AFL Tribunal appeals board upholds Houston's 5 Week Suspension

Remove this Banner Ad

Can't believe people calling for 6+ for a fair hit, shit happens its a contact sport, zero malice or zero carelessness, the fact a player can get punished because someone got hurt from a legal play is garbage, AFL either needs to go contactless or embrace things like this happening from time to time, Fans who don't like it the EPL just kicked off this weekend go take your viewership there, we need to adopt an NFL style assessment for these incidents.

AFL doesn't give a shit otherwise players would be forced to wear more PPE, no wonder this league is losing out to international sports.

Can't believe people calling for 6+ for a fair hit, shit happens its a contact sport, zero malice or zero carelessness, the fact a player can get punished because someone got hurt from a legal play is garbage, AFL either needs to go contactless or embrace things like this happening from time to time, Fans who don't like it the EPL just kicked off this weekend go take your viewership there, we need to adopt an NFL style assessment for these incidents.

AFL doesn't give a shit otherwise players would be forced to wear more PPE, no wonder this league is losing out to international sports.
11 posts a year

please keep it that way

Did he get concussed from the bump or hitting the ground ? Because I can’t really tell.

If the bump hit his chest and not head at all, it’s just a good hard bump and should get zero weeks. The concussion is just bad luck.

If he made contact with head, 5 plus.

A lot of mug punters in here seem to have no understanding that the timing and direction of the bump are what's important - you can fairly bump a player but you cannot deliberately snipe them front on when they are completely defenceless in a marking action, and cannot protect their head at all. SMH.

Did he get concussed from the bump or hitting the ground ? Because I can’t really tell.

If the bump hit his chest and not head at all, it’s just a good hard bump and should get zero weeks. The concussion is just bad luck.

If he made contact with head, 5 plus.
Bump to the chest as all angles and stills show, he got knocked out on head hitting ground, but the coward AFL will still punish Houston because if someone gets hurt it's got to be attributed to someone else for when the law suites come up later down the line.

The cognitive dissonance of people calling it a 'fair hit' even though Rankine ended up knocked the **** out with that tell tale stiff arm in the air pose is astounding -
It's referred to as the fencing response

And you can get knocked out without being hit in the head too

EDIT:
I don't mean being hit in the body and then hitting your head, I mean you can be knocked out in absence of any contact to the head

Gee people carry on. Acting like he lined him up and raised an elbow. He will get weeks but wasn’t that bad
Agreed, its not like he stopped, turned 180* and shoulder charged an unsuspecting player 30m off the ball like...
Rankine did on Starcevic only 6 weeks ago.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The cognitive dissonance of people calling it a 'fair hit' even though Rankine ended up knocked the **** out with that tell tale stiff arm in the air pose is astounding -

Just because someone gets concussed, doesn’t mean it can’t be a fair bump.

Going purely on the medical result is madness.

Sometimes you will get legal and fair actions that result in awful medical hurt.

Some actions are dirty and dangerous that result in no or little damage.

Bump to the chest as all angles and stills show, he got knocked out on head hitting ground, but the coward AFL will still punish Houston because if someone gets hurt it's got to be attributed to someone else for when the law suites come up later down the line.

That’s what I am seeing. Hard bump to the chest. Nothing dirty or illegal about it.

If someone shows another angle where head is made contact with, I’m happy to change my mind.

Maynard chose to bump and got let off, finals coming up has a big say on suspensions.

Brayshaw now retired as a result of this and there was months of outrage for the AFL whenever any comparable incident popped up and players got suspended. If anything I think they would be keen to go the other way this time.

A lot of mug punters in here seem to have no understanding that the timing and direction of the bump are what's important - you can fairly bump a player but you cannot deliberately snipe them front on when they are completely defenceless in a marking action, and cannot protect their head at all. SMH.

You can bump them once they have the ball though, unless it’s a mark obviously.

This was simply a tap from the ruckman, Houston bumped Rankin once he got the ball and didn’t get him high.

I don’t even know what he has been charged with ?

General rough play …?

You can bump them once they have the ball though, unless it’s a mark obviously.

This was simply a tap from the ruckman, Houston bumped Rankin once he got the ball and didn’t get him high.

I don’t even know what he has been charged with ?

General rough play …?

The afl and broader community don’t want to see these hits, especially as the outcome of them is pretty clear. These hits are banned in other contact sports.

Rankine is a flog but he didn’t deserve to be kod like that.

great bump 0 weeks. 10 years ago this is praised as great hit, snowflakes everywhere now
Ignorant comment.

I wonder if you’d have the courage to call Shane Tucks wife or Danny Frawleys family “snowflakes” to their faces..

I doubt it..

The only KO’s that should be accepted in the game nowdays are the totally accidental ones. Ones where it is clear that its nothing more than an unfortunate footy incident in normal play.

What Houston did was the complete opposite. Not one drop of intent to go for the footy.. souly wanted to go the bumb and inflict pain. He fxxked it up and KO’d an opponent.

Gone for the remainder of the season and he knew straight away he fxxked it up… his crocodile tears on the bench 10 minutes later provide all the evidence he knows he’s missing the finals.

The afl and broader community don’t want to see these hits, especially as the outcome of them is pretty clear. These hits are banned in other contact sports.

People want to see these hits hence the commentators and crowds reaction, it's the KO/injury/getting hurt we don't want to see.

it wasn't even a free in game and you want Houston hung, and Rankie a flog? why and how?

It’s still legal to bump a player with the ball and the play is ‘live’ and you don’t hit the head.

What will you charge him with ? A ‘bump that is legal but makes the broader community feel unease’ ?

Ignorant comment.

I wonder if you’d have the courage to call Shane Tucks wife or Danny Frawleys family “snowflakes” to their faces..

I doubt it..

The only KO’s that should be accepted in the game nowdays are the totally accidental ones. Ones where it is clear that its nothing more than an unfortunate footy incident in normal play.

What Houston did was the complete opposite. Not one drop of intent to go for the footy.. souly wanted to go the bumb and inflict pain. He fxxked it up and KO’d an opponent.

Gone for the remainder of the season and he knew straight away he fxxked it up… his crocodile tears on the bench 10 minutes later provide all the evidence he knows he’s missing the finals.

Again though …. What’s his charge ? The bump he did was legal. You can bump someone who has the ball if you don’t get them high.

It’s still legal to bump a player with the ball and the play is ‘live’ and you don’t hit the head.

What will you charge him with ? A ‘bump that is legal but makes the broader community feel unease’ ?

Damn you’re gunna be shocked when he gets 4+

Rewatch the vision he gets him in the head as part of the bump

Similar bump to Liam Ryan in the 2018 grand final but Maynard didn’t fall back and hit his head.

Remove this Banner Ad

News AFL Tribunal appeals board upholds Houston's 5 Week Suspension

Remove this Banner Ad

Back