Aflq state league div 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fair point, just stirring up conversational topics.. Apart from weekly tipping it's been a bit quiet.
As for burliegh in the grand final, depends on injuries and the fitness of pianta.
Pbc, and maybe a full grange team as the smoky would be my guess, your lordship.

As for white, he wasn't in the best , so I wondered wether he played against the gorillas' 30 possessions a game can make a difference. Maroochy are a better side with him in it.

While up the coast last weekend, popped over to check out the Maroochy/Grange game. Wanted to check out Matthews,White and also ex Aspleys Rowdy Rogers. In the end I thought Grange out - coached Maroochy. Even though Rowdy was the coach, he was able to concentrate on playing and relied on the bloke in the box to control the moves.

White and Matthews definately played and the team looked sharp at times but were hassled out of the game. Young Moir up forward for the gorillas was a handful for the roos defence.

Interesting weeks ahead as far as the ladder goes.

round 7 tips split round,mine are
may 8th
cooly v maroochy = maroochy
PBC v sandgate = palm beach
noosa v surfers = noosa
may 15th
mayne v burleigh = burleigh
springwood v grange = springwood

Maroochy
Sandgate
Noosa
Burleigh
Grange

yep looks like sandgate will be premiers this year,probably burleigh only threat

Congrats to Andrew Housego for his 200th game this week hope the tiges can win for him.

Mayne champion set for 200 mark
After making his debut back in 1996 at Old Windsor Park, Andrew Housego will this week chalk up his 200th senior game for the Mayne Tigers. In that time the man affectionately know as Housey has won 4 club champion awards, been awarded life membership and has captained the side for the last 10 years. He has played with and against some of the legends of Queensland football and no doubt a big crowd will be on hand at Everton this Saturday to pay respect to one of the true champions of the Mayne AFC.

Housey’s career started out in round one 1996 against the now defunct Western Districts under David Kearns. He has few memories of the match itself but remembers the aftermath of the game clearly “Hard to forget my very first game under David Kearns. He coached one senior game, flew off the handle at the umpires, got charged with bringing the game into disrepute and then promptly resigned!”

Since then Housey has played under a number of coaches including Rob Dickfos, Scott Corbett, Neil Burke and the late Mick Nolan. For the majority of his career Housey has played as a key forward and despite being on the end of some lopsided scorelines has still managed to kick bags of goals against all sides. His trademark has been the contested mark – usually against 2 or 3 opponents, and a booming kick for goal. His current coach and former team mate Mitch Ferguson adds

“Some of the marks that Housey has taken over the years defy belief. There are not many players who could have done what he has done on the field – that is to carry the hopes of your side week in week out and perform at the highest standard. He has had to contend with 2 and 3 players at a time in marking contests and still come out on top. He gets targeted physically and verbally each and every week by opponents and the crowd and still has the ability to simply keep his eyes on the ball and play footy. Having played alongside Andrew I know first hand how painful and gut wrenching it is to contend with the constant ridicule and abuse. The thing about Andrew is that no matter what the scoreline he continues to give it everything he has got for the team. He is a terrific fella, certainly a unique individual and one that I am very proud to count as a friend. He deserves every success that comes his way”

Back in round 1, 2001 after spending a year at Morningside (when Mayne were “invited” by the AFLQ to sit out the season) Housego kicked a personal best 10 goals against the Magpies on the way to a brilliant win. In was during his time at Morningside that Housey tasted finals football as well as finishing 3rd in the best and fairest. It was also around this time, when Mayne were re-instated to the State League Competition that Housey had to decide where his future lay. In his mind though it was clear - he would be back in the black and gold to lead the Tigers. Unfortunately a number of his team mates from that time didn’t re-join the Tigers and the club was forced to try and rebuild all over again. As a result the wins have been few and far between but it is a typically stoic Housey in commenting on what has kept him going “The funny thing about doing it hard, is that despite the hours upon hours of the most painful times of your life, the infrequent moments of success offer the most incredible highs a human being could imagine. Those little tempters whet the appetite for what would be the ultimate high, a premiership victory.”

In amongst these infrequent wins he counts the best as the upset of the decade when an undermanned Tigers outfit knocked off Palm Beach Currumbin on the Gold Coast in 2009. Naturally the celebration afterwards rates as a career highlight as well. “Flash back to the 1960’s with the Cubans getting puffed about at the end of the night” He does have fond memories also of being a part of the greatest final quarter comeback in the club’s history (47 points) against Wilston Grange in 2006 and the unforgettable final quarter surge down at Labrador when Rob Dickfos cast the walking stick aside and kicked the last 3 goals of the game.

During the early 2000s Housey had some classic battles with Zillmere legend Dan Dickfos who he rates as his toughest opponent “he makes you work hard for a grab” It was also during this time that he learned some valuable lessons on how to play footy from the best player he played with “Corey Lynch was not the most athletic, fast or skilful player to grace the field, but if we’d had a Corey Lynch or two in the side throughout the last 10 years, we’d be much better for it.”

Whilst Andrew expects to play on for a few more seasons yet “or until my legs fall off” he has bestowed some high praise indeed on one of the young up and coming stars of the club. When asked who is most respected team mate is Andrew was a matter of fact in naming 21 year old Tom Falconer – former captain of the under 18s.

“I see a lot of similarities between Tom’s football journey and mine. He came into senior football at a young age with a lot of expectation on his shoulders. He is a brilliant footballer and a talented and respectful human being. The individual success hasn’t come his way yet, but I know his name will be on the honour board plenty of times in the years to come.”

He rates his mum Margaret as his best supporter “ Mum has seen most of my 200 games and probably most vocal in her support in the early years” and his brother Glen, who he played many years alongside, as the most under rated player he has played with. It will come as no surprise to some to hear that Housey’s loyalty to Mayne extended beyond the playing field when in 2007 he married Jodie who just happened to be the daughter of club president Murdoch Campbell. Andrew and Jodie are expecting their first born in June.

It will be an emotional day of sorts on Saturday as the club pays tribute to one of its finest. Andrew has defined the word loyalty, has displayed enormous courage in leading his side over the years and has played the game in the right spirit every week. We look forward to seeing some classic Housey grabs and long bombs for goal and congratulate him on a fine career

yep looks like sandgate will be premiers this year,probably burleigh only threat

Mate i would wait a bit till making statements like that this early . Palmy lost the game last sat sandgate didnt win it. i would wait till half way through the last half of season before making predictions on premierships

Congrates to a housego great player. interesting to hear he gets abused by opposition, spose if you carnt beat him on ability you have to try some thing. Question is will his team mates stand up for him this week and beat burleigh (should i change my tip).Spose not if burleigh are grand final contenders they carnt afford to loose against mayne.

Player for sangate reserves #39 WHAT A DOG. He will Get his right whack

what number 39 do? maybe early call on sandgate but barring injuries they don't look like getting beaten.
it would be nice if mayne could beat burleigh. mayne have upset the bombers up here in the past, but unlikely this time.
Finally we have a HOME GAME!!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Congrates to a housego great player. interesting to hear he gets abused by opposition, spose if you carnt beat him on ability you have to try some thing. Question is will his team mates stand up for him this week and beat burleigh (should i change my tip).Spose not if burleigh are grand final contenders they carnt afford to loose against mayne.

Anyone who has played for Mayne in the last 10 years has copped a lot of abuse from the opposition, especially in the years up in the State League!! If you had a hairdo, lookout!! Is a testament to Housey that he stuck with the club and has stayed so consistent in every way. Great player, captain and teammate, I hope the boys get up for him this weekend.

Mate i would wait a bit till making statements like that this early . Palmy lost the game last sat sandgate didnt win it. i would wait till half way through the last half of season before making predictions on premierships

Player for sangate reserves #39 WHAT A DOG. He will Get his right whack

When a side is by 30 points up at the 15 min mark and gets rolled the way they did, and allow 12.2 to be kicked in a qrt means not only did Sandgate win but Palmy was Comprehensively out coached. It also means that Sandgate have a great deal of believe in themselves!
I would think that Sandgate deserve to be called Flag fav at this stage!

maybe early but i agree sandgate deserve to be flag favourites

watched yesterdays mayne v burleigh game it was a shit fight all day mayne just kept coming back at the bombers.... housey is a champion player and well done on his 200th game. Caleb Brown is also great to watch play... it surprises me that mayne dont win more games i think they just lack the finishing off skill.... also can anyone tell where the guy down forward come from? number 4 i think ( great set of hands )

yeah number 4 for Mayne is luke faulkner he came via Redlands/Alex hills, great pick up fro the club. mayne did well yesterday could of won if they didn't a couple of shots in the last.
the boys are playing well.

round 7 tipping results
Rattatcat 26
Gorilla Boy 25
Our Father25
Once A Tiger 23
Tiger G 22
Magpie boy22

my round 8 TIPS
maroochy v springwood = maroochy
sandgate v cooly = sandgate
PBC v burgleigh = pbc
surfers v mayne = mayne
noosa v w/grange = noosa

any springwood fans out there that can tell us whats happening there. i thought they would improve with all their recruits,and i'm not trying to be sarcastic

this weeks tips

N/shore
Sandgate
PBC
Surfers
Noosa

Pbc vs Burliegh, if pbc are going any-where this week will tell . Loose and I reckon there history.

N/shore
Sandgate
Burleigh
Surfers ( Just )
Noosa

This will be a massive Burleigh v Palm Beach game. Burleigh haven't beaten Plamy since 2006 and have only won once in 16 years at Salk Oval so i think the boys will be out to change that.... Also anyone heard any news about the rep side.... i think they are playing carnis in Brisbane somewhere is this true?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back