AFLW 2019 awards

Remove this Banner Ad

If you click on the photo in the tweet, then it shows Anne on the bench. Even only having 5 in the team that destroyed the comp and putting Pearce in the AA team when she was well and truly beaten by Foley in that game... Yeah, right. There is also a North supporter who is still complaining about EJ being in the AA squad. You know, second in the comp for score assists and high up for defensive pressure and hitting the scoreboard as a 'small forward', yeah totally not good enough to be in the AA squad. :rolleyes: Some people just can't football.

Ah, was wondering trying to work out where Hatchard was listed. Feel that Jess Foley and Sarah Allan were unlucky to miss out.

Well done to all the girls who took home silverwear.

Personally I think Noffy, Allen, Ponter, Foley and Jones were all outrageously good this year too, and were all stiff to be beat out by others.

My only advice is take it personally, and use it to drive you for 2020!

Round 7 - Melbourne

1 A Foley
2 E Marinoff
3 E Phillips

19 VOTES!

I can’t believe this has happened in a professionally run competition, the Umpires look to have got Ange Foley and Jess Foley mixed up for this match and awarded Jess’ 1 vote to Ange. Jess had 15 disposals, 2 goals, 6 tackles, 2 marks and absolutely destroyed that eventual falsely awarded All-Australian ruck Lauren Pearce.

A team as dominant as ours should hold a significant number of All Australian players.

We were more dominant than most AFL mens teams I can remember in their Premiership years
The question really should be, how many aflw players from other teams would you want instead of the Crows equivalent based on this year?

For me, very VERY few players come to mind as immediate upgrades. And the ones that could be considered upgrades as of today, all started showing rapid improvement towards the end of the year.

Love the look of Sheer, Ponter, Martin, and Considine coming through, I certainly wouldn't change any of them

A team as dominant as ours should hold a significant number of All Australian players.

We were more dominant than most AFL mens teams I can remember in their Premiership years

The fullback of the premiership side, who led the defensive unit of a team that in the final 14 Quarters of the season inc finals (over 210 minutes of game time) conceeded only 4 goals should be the first picked in any representative side. Sarah is very unlucky

I can’t believe this has happened in a professionally run competition, the Umpires look to have got Ange Foley and Jess Foley mixed up for this match and awarded Jess’ 1 vote to Ange. Jess had 15 disposals, 2 goals, 6 tackles, 2 marks and absolutely destroyed that eventual falsely awarded All-Australian ruck Lauren Pearce.

yeah wow that is bad - I didn't pick up on that initially but this was their games

Jess Foley - 10 kicks, 5 handballs, 2 marks, 2 goals, 6 tackles, 16 hitouts (playing lone ruck while Melbourne rotated Pearce & Zanker against her)
Angela Foley - 5 kicks, 5 handballs, 0 marks, 0 goals, 0 tackles

yeah wow that is bad - I didn't pick up on that initially but this was their games

Jess Foley - 10 kicks, 5 handballs, 2 marks, 2 goals, 6 tackles, 16 hitouts (playing lone ruck while Melbourne rotated Pearce & Zanker against her)
Angela Foley - 5 kicks, 5 handballs, 0 marks, 0 goals, 0 tackles

Someone better get Jess Foley that 1 vote, thinking of starting a campaign, it’s not quite John Kennedy Jr.’s 1983 Norm Smith medal going to Collin Robertson due to mistaken on-field identity but still

Erin Phillips getting 19 out of 21 votes is just ridiculously good. I'd love to know if an AFL player has ever managed to get 5 BOGs and 2 second-BOGs in a 7 game stretch. Add in the PF where she would have gone close to BOG and the GF where she was BOG and that's at least 6 BOGs and 2 second-BOGs in a 9 game stretch. If that's not a complete and utter domination of a comp, I don't know what else you'd call it.

Round 1 votes - Western Bulldogs

1 K Brennan
2 E Phillips
3 E Blackburn

Unpopular opinion here but Phillips was no way in the top 5 players on the ground in the round 1 match against the Dogs, Kirsty Lamb tagged her and cut out a lot of her influence around the ball. Blackburn, Marinoff, Spark, Brennan & Hatchard all better than her that night.

Alright, I'll bite. I write this on the basis of being at the game and watching the replay a couple of times later.

Jess Foley had a very good game. There's a very very slight asterisk in that the two goals were from fairly, um, generous umpiring decisions - not to take away from Jess' game, but also not something I'd use to split her performance from others. Yes, I would have give her votes on a 3-2-1 basis - probably 1. (It has to be noted that Jess got 10 votes in the coaches award). I thought she had the better of Pearce,

The game was ultimately won by our incredible defensive pressure. I recall Noffy being interviewed on the sidelines and singling out Hannah Martin for her game working from wing to wing - something I hadn't appreciated when I was at the game. When I watched the replay, Ange Foley's game really stood out to me. She busted a gut with her work off the ball and 1 percenters, and kept our defensive structure aligned.

For me, it was 3 votes Erin, then throw the names Cramey, Ange Foley, Jess Foley, Marinoff, Varnhagen, Randall and Rajcic into a hat. Pick out any 2 and I think it's a defensible argument.

Alright, I'll bite. I write this on the basis of being at the game and watching the replay a couple of times later.

Jess Foley had a very good game. There's a very very slight asterisk in that the two goals were from fairly, um, generous umpiring decisions - not to take away from Jess' game, but also not something I'd use to split her performance from others. Yes, I would have give her votes on a 3-2-1 basis - probably 1. (It has to be noted that Jess got 10 votes in the coaches award). I thought she had the better of Pearce,

The game was ultimately won by our incredible defensive pressure. I recall Noffy being interviewed on the sidelines and singling out Hannah Martin for her game working from wing to wing - something I hadn't appreciated when I was at the game. When I watched the replay, Ange Foley's game really stood out to me. She busted a gut with her work off the ball and 1 percenters, and kept our defensive structure aligned.

For me, it was 3 votes Erin, then throw the names Cramey, Ange Foley, Jess Foley, Marinoff, Varnhagen, Randall and Rajcic into a hat. Pick out any 2 and I think it's a defensible argument.

This wasn’t a discussion on whether Jess Foley was actually 3rd best for us that day it’s the fact Ange Foley played half back for the majority of that match had 5 kicks & 5 handballs and about half of those in the last quarter when they were already 10 goals up. It was about the Foley that had 15 disposals, 16 hit outs, kicked 2 goals, laid 6 tackles and took a couple of marks was the one they meant to put down as 3rd best.

*Edit*
Also as you stated yes Jess Foley scored the maximum 10 votes for this match in the coaches votes

https://m.afc.com.au/news/2019-03-19/aflw-erins-stellar-year

Last edited:
Ah, was wondering trying to work out where Hatchard was listed. Feel that Jess Foley and Sarah Allan were unlucky to miss out.

Foley a tiny bit stiff maybe, she had a great season, but honestly you could throw a blanket over several of the rucks this year.

Allan is the one that is super stiff. It's like how Talia gets regularly overlooked in the AA team despite being unquestionably the best defender in the comp. I'll admit I haven't watched all the other games so I can't comment on how well the other defenders played this season, but Allan was not beaten once, and regularly picked up buckets of disposals as well. She had 15 touches in the grand final, that's from a full back in a comp with limited game time. She also had hauls of 14, 13 and 11 during the season. And that's keeping in mind that the Crows didn't concede that many inside 50s, either.

Unlucky doesn't cover it.

What if she hadn't been injured all last season?
Presumably everything would be 3x instead of 2x!

The question really should be, how many aflw players from other teams would you want instead of the Crows equivalent based on this year?
I'd have Ellie Blackburn in heartbeat.
I'd have Talya Harris if she didn't have to play against Randall. Probably wouldn't bother in a team with Erin Phillips in the forward line though.
Prespakis looks pretty bloody good going forward. Sign her up.
I can't believe how well Duffin played against us but I have to admit to not watching her other than in that game. So sure, she's awesome.

That's about it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd have Ellie Blackburn in heartbeat.
I'd have Talya Harris if she didn't have to play against Randall. Probably wouldn't bother in a team with Erin Phillips in the forward line though.
Prespakis looks pretty bloody good going forward. Sign her up.
I can't believe how well Duffin played against us but I have to admit to not watching her other than in that game. So sure, she's awesome.

That's about it.
Thats pretty close to my list. Except i'm not the high on Tayla Harris. I would take all our forwards over her based on this season.

Harris is a gun but I'm not sure she fits into our system. Perhaps if one of Scheer or Phillips don't get up, but our system of two marking forwards plus a bunch of fast running players isn't helped by adding another marking forward.

(I'm not sure whether to classify Jones as a marking forward or a running player. She's both :p)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back