AFLW 2023 List Management

Remove this Banner Ad

Ok, so big news today for this season of AFLW is the hawks, along with the other three expansion teams, have access to a special pre trade window period from 1 March (9am) – 8 March (2pm), where we can sign players from other clubs without trade

The details for the 2023 Sign and Trade Period - which will run from March 10-20 - have been confirmed, with last year's four expansion clubs to be given a window to sign "priority signing period" players beforehand....
A player qualifies as a PSP signing if they have played three or more AFLW seasons and crucially, a trade does not need to be completed for the player to move clubs.
It was expected to be a stagnant trade period due to the upcoming mature-age draft (after eligible 18-year-olds were selected last year ahead of the one-off second season), with limited elite talent on offer.
Hawthorn
  • Can sign up to three players during PSP
  • Can offer a "secondary relocation reimbursement/payment" to those players

Last edited:
Wicked Tuna Fishing GIF by National Geographic Channel

Let's get a big fish aye! 🎣🐟🎣🐟🎣

To round off the 2022 thread, I assume we have four spots with Duffin, McCarthy, Carbone and Porter leaving. The former two would be at least Tier 2 you would think given their AFLW credentials prior to joining the hawks, so hopefully a bit of money to dangle out there

Reckon there's a chance of Conti may be pried out of the tigers.
She's been "allowed" to play basketball in the off-season, whilst other lesser-paid players haven't been given permission.
Don't think she'd be going to the Hawks though

To round off the 2022 thread, I assume we have four spots with Duffin, McCarthy, Carbone and Porter leaving. The former two would be at least Tier 2 you would think given their AFLW credentials prior to joining the hawks, so hopefully a bit of money to dangle out there
Damn... I didn't hear about Carbone leaving. I really enjoyed how she went about it this past season.

The upcoming over age draft will be the first (and for the moment, only) AFLW draft to allow potential draftees to not specifically nominate a destination state and be open to all clubs

Having another crack at AFLPA MVP and AFLW B&F Emily Bates, as well as her Brisbane teammates Greta Bodey and Cathy Svarc.

There's growing industry confidence that at least Bates and Bodey will lob at the Hawks, while Svarc is still believed to be weighing up their interest and also has other Victorian clubs monitoring her situation.

Appears the Cann link above from the Pies didn't come through

Hawthorn has subsequently moved for Bates, Bodey and Svarc, with the club having previously been unsuccessful in its pursuits to also add Collingwood midfielder Mikala Cann and Melbourne premiership player Maddi Gay.

Also the mature-age draft will be April 4, with only those born in 2004 or earlier eligible. Draft order yet to be confirmed, though historically it's in reverse ladder order.

Key AFLW player movement dates

Wednesday March 1, 9am

AFLW Priority Signing Period opens

Wednesday March 8, 2pm
AFLW Priority Signing Period closes

Thursday March 9
PSP compensation determined

Friday March 10, 12pm
Sign and Trade period commences
Rookie signing period commences

Wednesday March 15, 9am
AFLW Season Eight Supplementary Draft nominations open

Friday March 17, 5pm
Final date for players on a two-year (2022/2023) contract to accept or decline their 2023 offer

Monday March 20
Final date for clubs to offer a contract to existing players (11am)
Sign and Trade Period, Restricted Free Agency (for those offered a lower-tier contract than their previous contract) closes (5pm)

Tuesday March 21, 3pm
Delisted free agency period opens

Thursday March 23, 4pm
Delisted free agency period closes

Friday March 24, by 5pm
AFLW Season Eight Supplementary Draft order finalised

Tuesday March 28, 5pm
AFLW Season Eight Supplementary Draft nominations close

Thursday March 30, 5pm
Final date to make players inactive before AFLW Season Eight Supplementary Draft

Tuesday April 4
AFLW Season Eight Supplementary Draft

Last edited:
Bodey is leaving Brissie also, not confirmed it’s us yet

Edit: though Riley thinks it’s us

No dice on Svarc- she’s decided to stay, but we still have one spot we can fill by Wednesday when the PSP for these opportunities closes
I think we are lacking a reliable tall forward.
Hopefully we get one during the off season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think we are lacking a reliable tall forward.
Hopefully we get one during the off season.
Not sure they will go that route. Bodey will play the #1 target role that Duffin did, both undersized for the traditional key forward but super good. Aine likely next tall who should keep developing nicely and then there's all of Cunningham/Perkins/Luke as needed. Then you have the likes of Stephenson or Gilroy who could rest up there and plenty of players in the small forward brigade.

Maybe they get another experienced type to help set the culture. Defender or another ruck type maybe. After two huge names very interested now in who that third could be.

Very surprised that Melbourne seem to be escaping losing anyone at the moment.

We'll have pick 4 in the supplementary draft on 4th april, and 4th pick in every round after that (i.e. pick 4, 22, 40 assuming no trades)

Eliza Shannon has been traded to move a few picks up in the mature age draft
Hawthorn has facilitated a trade that will see the club receive Pick 33 in the AFLW Season Eight Supplementary Draft while sending defender Eliza Shannon and Pick 40 to North Melbourne.

2023_AFLW_Welcome_ElizaShannon_Hero.png

Interesting move that's basically just to open up a list spot. Must think there's enough depth for 3 good picks in this draft.

Shannon played ok last season, but I guess they want to back the others in defence and they have the likes of Kemp, Richardson, Brown, Eardley, Elliott to fit down there with Stephenson and Cunningham likely to start, plus the flankers like Chuot and Ashmore. North obviously must see something though.

Jasmine Fleming, Mackenzie Eardley, Emily Everist, Lucy Wales and Laura Elliott have signed on until the end of the 2024 season while Charlotte Baskaran and Bridie Hipwell have put pen to paper until the end of the 2023 season.

Interesting the various lengths - Baskaran and Hipwell hoping for a good season to push them up a tier next season perhaps?

I think Baskaran eventually takes Smith's spot in the midfield. There's not much depth behind her at the moment though (Deed?).

Hipwell plays that high forward role that Gilroy does when she is done there. Right now probably not near a starter, but good option on the bench.

We have 3 new players coming in this draft, and the main 2024 draft will be more important too, the list will need to be in shape after that so they can push up the ladder.

Weird that we are the club dragging heels over list announcement. Surely they're not delisting others, so it's a matter of reaching agreements?

We should be going into this draft with three spots and picks, but I'm not even sure if they have to use them all.

Midfielders sign on - Smith and Deed to 2024 season while Lucas-Rodd, Ashmore, Gilroy and Makur Chuot for this season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back