Game Day AFLW R.4 Crows vs Dockers...Fremantle Oval Sunday 26/02/17 6.35 PM SA Time

Remove this Banner Ad

apparently the club has a lot of gifs for use for the whole season, mostly of marinoff!

There's popcorn, two thumbs up, high five, and mic drop that I've seen so far.

Judging by all the other photos of her before and after, I'm pretty sure that she was sedated for her official AFL profile pic.

Brilliant game today, particularly impressed with our movement of half back at times, we appear to be the best in the comp at that. I also reckon we are the fittest team in the comp, the girls are very good at making sure they make every contest.

Bec's not wrong here. The club has to be incredibly pleased.

How is that measured though? Surely it's the current group that is setting the culture, it wouldn't have been responsible for a single recruit yet. They might be fielding a lot of enquiries, but I doubt they'd know how much interest other clubs are getting either.

On the game, we really were excellent in working the ball out of the contest by hand. Was a great game to watch and the girls were great. Would have loved another goal in the last from a few chances, especially if Marinoff's had gone through.

We seem to be running out games better than other teams which is good to see. They will have a big burst first quarter then as they tire we are able to get ontop and control the game. Hope in continues, massive game next week.

Here's some thoughts cos I enjoy doing it:
  • Holmes, best game of the year.
  • Tex Perkins, probably best as well. Not sure I've seen a KPF play so well in any womens game yet.
  • Freo had a tactic of having extra players right in on the ball, like 2-3 of them within 2 meters of it. That was an advantage in Q1, they had possession and ran away with it. Worked the other way in the other 3 quarters. The ball stayed in there, until a crows handball out or it bounced around and out, etc. We ran away with it, using clean hands, free receivers everywhere.
  • It was always going to be the case that the marquee players (Randall, Gibson) and also Marinade, were guns. But our recruiters need a pat on the back. We have a good group of other players that are right up there talent wise. Tex, Metcalfe, Phillips (duh), The Sedge (that's a thing now), Radan. I don't think the other AFLW teams have that kind of talent, some of them seem to have like, 2 players that really stand out and that's it. I guess that's why it's 4 in a row!
  • For the 2nd week in a row our ability to have players forward of the ball running into space, and then kick it to them has been great. All the teams are trying to do this, but crows actually are. Evidenced by Freo struggling the ball into their forward line with multiple stoppages and then crows rebound it all the way back down the ground. Must be demoralising. :)
No mention of "my" girl Jenna McCormick?....getting better every week...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think dropping the ball is a rule.
On SM-G900I using BigFooty.com mobile app
I think majority of these ball drops are fumbles. There were a few which were legit ball drops and deserved free kicks against.
PEEEEEEEEEEEERRKINS! She's a weapon. Can't believe she wasn't drafted. Whoever identified her and got her in is a genius.
Apparently Bec Goddard contacted her straight away after she missed out on the draft.
who said Holmes wasn't up to it a couple of weeks ago? lol
I was one of the people who was skeptical about her after her round 1 performance. I take that back. She still doesn't have the best penetrating or long kick for a forward, but her tackling and second efforts are top notch. It was also great to finally see her kick a goal too.

And yes, the commentary was terrible and Freo bias because one of them had the shortest lived AFLW career ever. I mean, the commentary all season hasn't been that great, but this was 100% one sided. You wouldn't have even known who Freo was playing against. The umpiring has also been 'different' or just 'bad'. I mean, we don't know what the AFLW umps have been told to focus on, so perhaps holding the ball is only called for certain situations and high tackles only apply when it's not the Crows. They probably saw Phillips throw her head back a few times and assumed the entire team don't deserve them. Either way, it's confusing for everyone.

No mention of "my" girl Jenna McCormick?....getting better every week...
Do we get to claim the girls now do we? Good deal.

McCormick has definitely been A grade in the last 2 games for sure. Not sure where she was in the 1st two.
Could also put in claims for Anderson (always in the right spot, if she can one-grab a loose ball she'll be rolled gold) and Varnhaghen (who seems to stand out a lot to me, not sure why).

Do we get to claim the girls now do we? Good deal.

McCormick has definitely been A grade in the last 2 games for sure. Not sure where she was in the 1st two.
Could also put in claims for Anderson (always in the right spot, if she can one-grab a loose ball she'll be rolled gold) and Varnhaghen (who seems to stand out a lot to me, not sure why).
McCormick didn't play Round 1 because she was playing in a final for her A-League W team.

Fantastic coaching. No other team structures up and holds its shape as well as the Crows, although I haven't seen Brisbane yet.
My mate up here who has inside links to Brisbane says they are very well disciplined and it should be a corker of a game.

The game looked like a professional side verse a group of talented players. When things got hot, we got better and they fell to pieces and looked unorganised.

I think other clubs will be looking closely at Bec Goddard and I don't just mean women's teams. It may become hard to keep her as just our women's team coach.

She will certainly be getting full-time job offers that pay her better than she would be earning in the police force.

If there were 3 female commentators, and one male, I'd probably say 'mouthy male', as the obvious distinctive, to be fair.
It's not a term I've ever seen used for the male commentators. She was, no doubt, a dreadful commentator. And biased. But to me, she was no worse than the three blokes commentating the mens game on Friday night, along with the plethora of Richmond "guests". Commentary, in general, has been woeful.

The game looked like a professional side verse a group of talented players. When things got hot, we got better and they fell to pieces and looked unorganised.

I think other clubs will be looking closely at Bec Goddard and I don't just mean women's teams. It may become hard to keep her as just our women's team coach.

She will certainly be getting full-time job offers that pay her better than she would be earning in the police force.
Could Bec Goddard replace Ken Hinkley during the season?

It's not a term I've ever seen used for the male commentators. She was, no doubt, a dreadful commentator. And biased. But to me, she was no worse than the three blokes commentating the mens game on Friday night, along with the plethora of Richmond "guests". Commentary, in general, has been woeful.
I would use it if there was one male, to distinguish who I meant. That's all.

Luke Darcy is a barracking, mouthy, male w***er - but that doesn't set him apart from male, mouthy, w***er Brad Johnson.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back