Game Day AFLW Round 6 - Carlton vs Fremantle Saturday Feb 12 3.10PM AWST @Fremantle Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

Likely Ins - Bree Moody
Likely Outs - Brooke Vickers (Injured)

The 1-4 Gamechangers facing the 4-1 Dockers on their home turf.

We have a young side and a developing game plan. This does not bode well for this contest.

On the positive side, if Moody is back in, Good can provide a tall presence up forward and give Vescio, Gee, Jones and Walker more opportunity at ground level.

Mimi Hill's return to our midfield gave us a huge boost and a look at what we might become. We still break down at half forward but if we can use McKay and Egan to extract the ball while the better users in Hill, Prespakis and McEvoy get the ball in space, we may be able to create more chaos in our forward line.

It's strange to think that Harrington and Trudgeon have been in such good form down back, and Pound is as good as anybody in providing cover, yet we are leaking goals. This is clearly down to a lack of support and awareness from the midfield.

Anyway, let's discuss tactics, matchups and predictions.

According to womens.afl, would appear Vickers has escaped serious injury and should be available:

Keeley Sherar remains a week or two away from returning from a broken hand for Carlton, while fellow draftee Brooke Vickers is available for selection after suffering an ankle injury against Adelaide.

Having Moody back will also be a big in. Really missed her work around the ground last week.
Our midfield will be the best it's looked on paper with Moody Perspakis Hill and Greg. Just need some polish to hit targets.

I'd throw a bus load of cash at Conti or maybe someone like Patrikios (to a lesser extent) in the next couple of years. See what shakes loose.

FB: D.Walker Wilson
HB: Laloifi Harrington Pound
C: Hill Egan Gee
HF: Vescio Stevens Guerin
FF: B.Walker Jones

R: Moody McEvoy Prespakis

Int: McKay, Trudgeon, O'Dea, Milford, Brazzale

EMG:
Good, Plane, Hammans, Vickers

OUTS
Good
- just can't play a slow 2nd ruck with limited versatility with Moody back. Jones can rotate in as needed.

Plane - not fit enough for midfield, not quick or skilful enough as a forward, way behind on the depth chart for defence

Dal Pos - uses the ball extremely well but has almost no mobility; the contest coasts past her

Vickers - can see the talent, but not physically ready and it leaves her a half step off or behind way too often

INS
Moody - obvious change if she's fit

Guerin - why in the world is she not playing? tried to use her as a defender when she's a great mid and solid forward, then punished her for that when we've got a side full of defenders... this reeks of ego, and I doubt it's just hers that's the problem

Milford - we need pace on the lead and some more dare up forward, and she fits the bill

Brazzale - wasn't looking fit enough for the standard earlier this year, but she's had some time and it's a flimsy excuse when we've had Dal Pos, Plane, Vickers, McKay, and O'Dea running around in the same team... prodigious kick of the football and loves to both run with it and run others down

EDIT: Fixed font sizes...

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure what you need to do to get dropped from this team. Coming off 35, 30 and 39 point losses and the same old players keep getting games.

It seems the only way to get out of the team is to be injured or Covid protocols. Form doesn't seem to play a part.

Not sure what you need to do to get dropped from this team. Coming off 35, 30 and 39 point losses and the same old players keep getting games.

It seems the only way to get out of the team is to be injured or Covid protocols. Form doesn't seem to play a part.

Brazzale was dropped. Went back, played well and won selection again.

We have a list of 30 players in total. About 7 will play VFLW. It's not like anybody is knocking the door down and we are already quite young.

Let's hope Milford goes well in the twos and she can come in for Good.

Brazzale was dropped. Went back, played well and won selection again.

We have a list of 30 players in total. About 7 will play VFLW. It's not like anybody is knocking the door down and we are already quite young.

Let's hope Milford goes well in the twos and she can come in for Good.
Some whinge for the sake of it.
Promising Vickers injured (Brazzale replaces) Jones adds a harder edge, although some poor moments trying to do too much, but out for Health Protocols making way for All Australian Moody. Tough road trip, going to be treated very difficultly in the “sterile corridor”, so experienced Brazzale makes some sense to me although Vickers and/or Guerin absolutely are better prospects going forward.

On balance has to be our strongest team all year. Strong opposition, but confident we will perform better. On face value Guerin looks a little hard done by, gets agame at the lower level. Clearly Good in front of Milford at the moment, I have no issue Milford gets a chance to shine in VFLW this weekend. For the record, I think Good is likely to improve rapidly as a cross coder finding her feet in the game.

I was scathing with criticism early in the season, but Hill and Egan make a huge difference to the team dynamic. The emergence of Trudgeon, Jones, Sherar, Vickers, Walker and even Lee with some excellent cameos gives me greater hope for the future. A couple of the experienced girls (and/or “theys”) have been underwhelming to date, clearly signalling a changing of the guard. Expect a couple of victories in the later rounds to instill some hope for the future.

I watched the 2nd half of our VFLW game against Geelong this afternoon.

Our women's footy program is in a lot of strife. We kicked 2 goals for the game & lost by 58 points.

Poor skills were an issue, but one positive is we didn't look as slow as our AFLW team. What is lacking at both the VFLW & AFLW level is footy intellect. Knowing your role, anticipating what's going to happen/what to do next, knowing where you need to be & keeping your structures.

I hope to see some improvement this evening, but seeing how the Geelong VFLW went about their business & what our AFLW team has put up so far this season, we are a long way off a lot of the competition.

Our women's footy program is in a lot of strife. We kicked 2 goals for the game & lost by 58 points.

Poor skills were an issue, but one positive is we didn't look as slow as our AFLW team. What is lacking at both the VFLW & AFLW level is footy intellect. Knowing your role, anticipating what's going to happen/what to do next, knowing where you need to be & keeping your structures.

I hope to see some improvement this evening, but seeing how the Geelong VFLW went about their business & what our AFLW team has put up so far this season, we are a long way off a lot of the competition.
Thanks for the feedback

Given two thirds of the team aren't senior listed, it's hard to tell how much reflects on our program overall.

Certainly, like our VFL team, we need to put in work along coaching and development lines because our senior listed players can't develop in a rabble side.

Any thoughts on our listed players? Did Milford show any AFL level skills? Lee, Schaap, Guerin and Hammans?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back