Game Day AFLW ROUND 6 Collingwood v Western Bulldogs Vic Park Sunday 7 Mar, 2.40pm

Remove this Banner Ad

The two biggest overall improvements I've seen since the league started are the kicking and tactics. Season one saw so many players grab it and basically try to boot it forward into space, with some pretty terrible results at times.

I agree that these aspects have transformed the women's game.

Another one for me is the ability of players to dispose of the ball when under pressure or being tackled. Early days, the tackling intensity in the game far outweighed the ability of players to get a kick or handball away, or to break free or evade, but the balance feels much more even now.

I've been all in on the AFLW since the start, but our side playing such outstanding footy this season is some pretty sweet icing on the cake.

The two biggest overall improvements I've seen since the league started are the kicking and tactics. Season one saw so many players grab it and basically try to boot it forward into space, with some pretty terrible results at times.

This year, our side has such a clear and beautifully executed running game. Our defence is set up so well and we are a menace on the rebound. The footskills have improved tenfold and the players all seem to be on the same page tactically, so they are able to overwhelm the opposition with counterattack after counterattack.

Also can't underestimate the influence of Davey as a leader. She's such a gun player and a physical force through the middle. Great call for her to share captaincy with Chiocci. Thanks Carlton!
Davey’s stamina is amazing.
She is such a wonderful player. I hope she receives the credit/acknowledgement she deserves as one of the premier players in the AFLW.

Just a reminder

The Blues receive Picks 2, 12, 22 and 30 in the Vic Metro player pool for the upcoming AFLW draft in exchange for Davey and Carlton’s fourth and fifth round selection.

I think she's 26 now, so she's not young but she's so far ahead of 99% of the women, you think she could do what erin phillips is doing and play until she's gets the pension.

I agree that these aspects have transformed the women's game.

Another one for me is the ability of players to dispose of the ball when under pressure or being tackled. Early days, the tackling intensity in the game far outweighed the ability of players to get a kick or handball away, or to break free or evade, but the balance feels much more even now.

Actually I think tackling was a mile ahead of any other skill at the start... It was like the women wanted to learn that ahead of learning how to do anything else.

I think the body shapes are getting better to break tackles too. They look more like footballers now. It might also help to soothe worry wooses like Malthouse who was fretting over fragile girls getting hurt.

I think the body shapes are getting better to break tackles too. They look more like footballers now. It might also help to soothe worry wooses like Malthouse who was fretting over fragile girls getting hurt.

The body shapes are changing. Whether this is a result of training, weight lifting, or natural selection with the younger footballers coming through, or a combination of the above, I don’t know. But there is a noticeable difference between the mixed bag of girls who played the first season and what we have now.

As for MM he can, as always, mind his own business.

I'm having so much fun watching the evolution of this team. It has so many things that distinguish it. So many characters.

From the back Livingstones presence as an interceptor and probably the longest kick in the womans game.

When Livingstone is looking up the field Bonnici is the hardest running midfielder around. She makes so much space. Probably after crunching her opposite in the middle sometime prior.

Davey is the most powerful and composed player. Breaks tackles at will and wheels through traffic finding targets like its no big deal.

Moving forward Molloy has an amazing combination of ruthless disregard for the opposition, speed and skill.

Those four barely scratch the surface of this team either. Schleicher is intercepting and bursting forward. Butler gives no quarter. Lambert putting her body on the line. O'Deas bullying someone. Sheridans twisting someone inside out. Porters putting on the jets. Lins finding space.

Just such a great team to watch.

Last edited:
I'm having so much fun watching the evolution of this team. It has so many things that distinguish it. So many characters.

From the back Livingstones presence as an interceptor and probably the longest kick in the womans game.

When Livingstone is looking up the field Bonnici is the hardest running midfielder around. She makes so much space. Probably after crunching her opposite in the middle sometime prior.

Davey is the most powerful and composed player. Breaks tackles at will and wheels through traffic finding targets like its no big deal.

Moving forward Molloy has an amazing combination of ruthless disregard for the opposition, speed and skill.

Those four barely scratch the surface of this team either. Schleicher is intercepting and bursting forward. Butler gives no quarter. Lambert putting her body on the line. O'Deas bullying someone. Sheridans twisting someone inside out. Porters putting on the jets. Lins finding space.

Just such a great team to watch.
I agree with all the above. Great fun to watch, they all look like they are loving every minute they play.
Amazing watching from 5 years ago to now skills are light years from where they started. Even if some of the neandethals refuse to admit it.
Collingwood especially seem to be able to put some great chains together, which is what makes them dangerous. Would love to get rowe and Brazil back for finals, however you wouldnt break up that backline.
Wing or forward for Brazil I reckon. Go pies , lovin your work.

Great effort to get on top of the Doggies after burning so many opportunities in the 1st half.

DidakaW R6:

5 - Davey (just a machine)
4 - Bonnici (just keeps working)
3 - Livingston (a rock)
2 - Brown (just keeps improving)
1 - Cann (just about the best game I can recall her playing)

Apologies to Schleicher, Butler, Allen and Butler. Lambert was in the running in the 1st half when it was hot and tight (as you'd expect) but faded in the 2nd half.

Defence is just so poised and probably includes some of our better ball users which makes those R50's so potent.

Great to see Moloney have an impact on debut. Looked a bit lost but hopefully her trajectory mirrors Brown and Lin who keep going from strength to strength.

Tarni Brown gets a Rising Star nod. Reward for effort.

Last edited:
Is Ash Brasil any chance to play this season?

I hope so. Keep watching the VFLW selection news in the hope that it'll be soon.

Coaches votes are in...

Collingwood vs Western Bulldogs
10 Brianna Davey (COLL)
8 Brittany Bonnici (COLL)
4 Ellie Blackburn (WB)
4 Lauren Butler (COLL)
2 Ruby Schleicher (COLL)
2 Chloe Molloy (COLL

LEADERBOARD
47 Kiara Bowers FRE
46 Brianna Davey COLL
43 Brittany Bonnici COLL