Women's Footy AFLW Season 2023 GWS - Congrats Zarlie Goldsworthy: Rising Star winner!

Remove this Banner Ad

At 2-8, the second worst season in our AFLW history. Only the inaugural season in 2017, where we finished the season 1-1-5 and came last in a 8 team competition was worse. Our team did their best, and the win against Carlton was a definite highlight.

Ouch. A dirty end to a dirty season for our AFLW team, unfortunately.

PORT Adelaide sent Erin Phillips into retirement in style with the Power's 58-point win over Greater Western Sydney heralding the end of the AFLW great's unrivalled career. An emotional Phillips was chaired from Alberton Oval after the Power's 13.10 (88) to 4.6 (30) victory over the Giants on Saturday. Phillips produced a couple of trademark moments and Ashleigh Saint booted five goals as Port blew away the Giants for its second win of the season.

The Power posted their highest score in two seasons in the competition in the memorable win to end their season in 15th spot on the ladder (2-7-1), a rung above GWS (2-8). The visitors kicked three majors, two from Zarlie Goldsworthy and another from Isabel Huntington, to gain some traction. The Giants were well served by Rebecca Beeson (22 disposals), Tarni Evans (21 disposals) and Goldsworthy, who kicked two goals among her 21 possessions.

PORT ADELAIDE 5.2 8.3 11.5 13.10 (88)
GREATER WESTERN SYDNEY 0.2 0.4 3.5 4.6 (30)

GOALS
Port Adelaide:
Saint 5, Houghton 3, Scholz 3, Mules, Phillips
Greater Western Sydney: Goldsworthy 2, Doyle, Huntington

BEST
Port Adelaide:
Houghton, Dowrick, Saint, Moloney, Phillips, Scholz
Greater Western Sydney: Goldsworthy, Beeson, Hicks, Evans, Dalton

INJURIES
Port Adelaide:
Nil
Greater Western Sydney: Nil

Reports: Nil

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oh my gosh, can't we have some stability now that expansion is over? And what is there for her out there? She must be our highest paid already. Winning I guess...

Oh my gosh, can't we have some stability now that expansion is over? And what is there for her out there? She must be our highest paid already. Winning I guess...
The Lions lost Bates and Wardlaw last year despite winning plenty of games and being willing to pay up. Clubs are lining up off-field roles for players to lock them into moving. I can't begrudge them but it does hurt. :(

*, if we lose Alyce Parker, we may as well close down. Can't get any quality players from Victoria to come here, but VFL House is happy for our best player to go to Victoria.
Would just further prove what a Clayton’s competition this is. GWS were rushed in when the competition itself was a house built on sand. Part time players that mostly cannot afford to leave their homes…joke.

Absolutely MASSIVE congratulations are due to Zarlie Goldsworthy. Judged the 2023 AFLW (i.e. league's) Rising Star winner.

The first ever club Rising Star, so extraordinary (when you consider the star male footballers) for her. Well done, young lady, outstanding!!

200.gif
Birthday Champagne GIF by Saweetie

Remove this Banner Ad

Back