AFLW AFLW/VFLW 2024 - General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Keeley Hardingham has claimed her maiden Western Bulldogs VFLW Best and Fairest award following a stellar 2024 campaign.

The 20-year-old ruck was one of the Bulldogs’ most consistent contributors, playing every match of the season to average 17.5 disposals, four clearances and 23 hit-outs.

Hardingham polled 202 votes on the night, including three games where she polled more than 15 votes, and 37 votes in the finals series alone.
She finished comfortably clear of second-placed Jaimi Tabb (158 votes) and third-placed skipper Dom Carbone (98 votes).

In other awards, Hardingham was also named the Best Young Player, while Steph Asciak (fourth place) claimed the Coaches Award.

Mia-Rae Clifford received the Players Award and Caitlin Pickett took home the Trainers Award, rounding out the night of formalities at Anglers Tavern.

Despite falling short in Grand Final, the VFLW Bulldogs enjoyed an impressive 2024 campaign to finish second on the ladder after last year’s 11th placing.

At the conclusion of each match, the senior coach and three assistant coaches individually awarded 5, 4, 3, 2 & 1 votes to a player.

Awards Summary

2024 VFLW Best & Fairest
Keeley Hardingham

2024 VFLW Best & Fairest runner-up
Jaimi Tabb

2024 VFLW Best & Fairest third place
Dom Carbone

2024 Trainers Award
Caitlin Pickett

2024 Players’ Award
Mia-Rae Clifford

2024 Best Young Player
Keeley Hardingham

2024 Coaches Award
Steph Asciak

The umpiring has been poor and that's being kind. Pritchard is not happy, have noticed her asking a few questions multiple times now.

Very kind. There was one moment before half time when the Richmond forward took the ball out of bounds by about two feet. Play on. Followed by a Richmond free for god knows what seconds later and a shot at goal. That's when I lost my s***.

Very kind. There was one moment before half time when the Richmond forward took the ball out of bounds by about two feet. Play on. Followed by a Richmond free for god knows what seconds later and a shot at goal. That's when I lost my s***.
That’s when I stopped watching it’s really a nothing game anyway

Always hard to read match simulation games, so don’t want to go into too much detail but here are my positives and negatives from the game.

Positives
Dominated the stoppages and the ground ball
Had plenty of inside 50s, in fact I reckon we had more
Noticeably improved handball chains over last season.
Moved the ball well between the arks.
The defence held up reasonably well, considering how many of their inside 50s came from quick D50 transition.

Negatives
Too many players caught ball-watching when not in possession.
Forward half-kicking efficiency. Richmond took 10+ intercept marks in our forward half.
The forward structure did not gel but need a bigger sample size to get a better idea.
Poor set shot goal accuracy
Gave away too many lazy free kicks (although the umpires were favouring Richmond significantly)

Missing Players (Unconfirmed): Ahrens, Barwick, Bennetts, Buttifant, Coyne, E. Brown, Ferres, Grant, Snell, Weston-Turner

Pritchard was probably best on ground for mine, dominated the clearances, tackled and used the ball well. Blackburn, Wilcox, Edmonds and Berry all solid, Berry did not play the last quarter but I think it was just a time management thing as there was no obvious injury.

Carruthers on the wing looked promising, Hartwig and McKee took a couple of nice contested marks inside 50 and Fitzgerald looked good in defence as well. Grigg and Farquharson were speedy which is something we lacked last year.

We’ll get a better idea next week with the official practice game which will be played under season rules and there should be stats recorded as well.

Last edited:

Western Bulldogs defender Mua Laloifi will be sidelined for the 2024 NAB AFLW season after sustaining a knee injury in Saturday’s match simulation against Richmond.

Laloifi sustained a left knee injury during a contest in the second quarter, with scans confirming an ACL rupture.

“As a program and as a club, we’re all devastated for Mua – for it to happen in a match simulation on the eve of the season too is just incredibly unfortunate,” General Manager Women’s Football, Patrice Berthold said.

“Mua had put in a mountain of work this pre-season and was set for an impactful campaign, so we’re heartbroken for her.

“We’ll wrap our arms around Mua and support her in every way possible as she begins her road to recovery.”

Would anyone like to go to the AFLW season launch and do two jumper presentations on behalf of Big Footy 22 Aug at Marvel Cost Is $150 but we’ll put in $50

The Western Bulldogs will field nine new faces in their practice match against Gold Coast at People First Stadium on Saturday evening.

All five draftees in Kristie-Lee Weston-Turner, Brooke Barwick, Elaine Grigg, Cleo Buttifant and Jorja Borg will take to the field.

Recruits Analea McKee, Jasmyn Smith, Ellie Gavalas and Lauren Ahrens have also been included.

Deanna Berry will lead the squad out as skipper for the first time.

The first bounce will be at 5pm AEST on Saturday, with the practice match to be live-streamed via westernbulldogs.com.au.

Score updates will also be available via @BulldogsW on X (Twitter).

AFLW Practice Match

Gold Coast SUNS v Western Bulldogs
Saturday 17 August, 5pm AEST
People First Stadium (QLD)

B: Isabella Grant, Lauren Ahrens
HB: Elisabeth Georgostathis, Jess Fitzgerald, Aurora Smith
C: Rylie Wilcox, Ellie Blackburn, Maggie Gorham
HF: De Berry, Kristie-Lee Weston-Turner, Ellie Gavalas
F: Analea McKee, Sarah Hartwig
R: Alice Edmonds, Dom Carruthers, Isabelle Pritchard
Int: Cleo Buttifant, Brooke Barwick, Brit Gutknecht, Heidi Woodley, Jasmyn Smith, Jorja Borg, Elaine Grigg, Elle Bennetts
Emg: Zimmorlei Farquharson, Brianna McFarlane

(Log in to remove this ad.)

KLWT having a worse debut than Clarke.

Has hardly got near it, and when she has, has stuffed it up.

I would say say has not had one possession in the 1st half.

Only good sign is that Fitzy has lost some weight and is all the better for it

Last edited:
KLWT having a worse debut than Clarke.

Has hardly got near it, and when she has, has stuffed it up.

I would say say has not had one possession in the 1st half.

Only good sign is that Fitzy has lost some weigh and is all the better for it
Was she on in the 1st quarter? Hard to know, the ball was never down that end. The delivery into the F50 is awful, reminds me of scud missiles, never hit a target.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFLW AFLW/VFLW 2024 - General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back