AFLW AFLW/VFLW 2024 - General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Excited to see McFarlane come in and give some support to Hartwig and McKee, it's not like we're not getting any inside 50 entries, we just can't hold it in there and McFarlane can certainly provide some much needed aerial support and accuracy in front goal. I can also see why we are resting Weston-Turner as we've got 3 games in 11 days coming up so I won't be surprised if we rest a few others from next Wednesday's game up in Brisbane as well.

Tonight is the first game this season where we are the older and more experienced team so it should be a good indicator of where our overall fitness currently sits, we're coming off a 6 day break with no travel, while West Coast are coming off a 5 day break with travel, so it will be disappointing if we can't run out the match.

Defense is what I'm really hoping to see some improvement in tonight, both in tackling pressure and defensive running. Last week definitely saw improvement on our ball winning and territory game and in fact we generated more scores than Port Adelaide did with us scoring 0.5 (5) from stoppages compared to 1.0 (6). We've handed the ball the opposition far too regularly in both games so far with an incredible 80% of the score we've conceded this season coming from turnovers, so I hope we've been working on our ball use as well.

Here's how our selected 21 stacks up against theirs...

Western Bulldogs / West Coast - R3 2024 - Whitten Oval

Avg. Career Games
: 26.5 / 24.4
Median Career Games: 24 / 20

Players With 1-10 Games Experience: 9 / 7
Players With 11-30 Games Experience: 2 / 7
Players With 31-49 Games Experience: 8 / 2
Players With 50+ Games Experience: 2 / 5

Players Under 21 Years Old: 5 / 8
Players Aged 21-24 Years Old: 9 / 7
Players Over 25 Years Old: 7 / 6

Naomi Ferrres, Dom Carruthers, Brooke Barwick and Cleo Buttifant have re-committed to the Kennel until at least the end of 2025.

Ferres is a Premiership Bulldog who has played 56 matches after being selected with the Club’s first pick in the 2017 Rookie Draft.

Carruthers has played 10 games since being selected in the 2023 Supplementary Draft, relishing more of an inside midfield role this season.

Barwick (Pick 4) and Buttifant (Pick 11) arrived via the most recent Draft, and have enjoyed promising starts to their AFLW careers after debuting in Week 1.

“We’re really pleased to have Dom, Brooke, Cleo and Naomi extend beyond this season,” Dan Fisher, Bulldogs list manager, said.

“Dom has slotted into her new role as an inside mid seamlessly, with her work rate, reliability and competitiveness making her one of our big improvers.

“Brooke and Cleo have adapted very well in their move to Melbourne. Brooke’s hard work and talent shone through in pre-season to see her debut in the opening round after missing all of 2023 through injury, while Cleo’s raw strength and power has seen her dish out her share of fend-offs, outlining the confidence we love in her game.

“Naomi is a great teammate, and as one of three premiership players on our list provides invaluable experience to our young group through her composure and ball use.”

I know we are still 50 minutes away from the start, but a very poor crowd so far.
The fixturing for AFLW is really poor. Like the product or not, the governing body is not promoting it

On SM-S926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's been howlers both ways (that was a mark to WC's Roberts in the first quarter every day of the week), but we've definitely had the rough end of it. Umpiring is just the typically poor standard we get in the comp all the time.
Seen better umpiring at local level it’s getting worse by the year at AFL, AFLW and even VFL level

Remove this Banner Ad

AFLW AFLW/VFLW 2024 - General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back