Ahmed Saad's ban for energy drink on match day

Remove this Banner Ad

Hm. That's right. The ASADA **** up.
In any case, delist Saad. Its not like there is going to be any other end result here.

ASADA's rules are a joke. I posted about this before so I won't bore you all again but how is it that an individual athlete - who can train at 100% and simulate race day - is banned for 2 years and yet a team athlete who can't do the same - is also banned for 2 years. Get your head out of your arse ASADA!!!!

ASADA's rules are a joke. I posted about this before so I won't bore you all again but how is it that an individual athlete - who can train at 100% and simulate race day - is banned for 2 years and yet a team athlete who can't do the same - is also banned for 2 years. Get your head out of your arse ASADA!!!!

Yep if you get caught in the lead up to the Commonwealth games you can just about be back in time for the Olympics ( probably not in practical terms though ). Team sports its career over.

He tested positive... no bomber player tested positive.

Lance Armstrong took banned substances for years and never tested positive. The moral of the story is lie and cover up get treated leniently. Tell the truth and you will get executed in the name of WADA looking tough.

Essendon are all but getting off or they would not have traded players in to other clubs. The Dogs must have been given assurances by someone that infractions are unlikely.

Lance Armstrong took banned substances for years and never tested positive. The moral of the story is lie and cover up get treated leniently. Tell the truth and you will get executed in the name of WADA looking tough.

Essendon are all but getting off or they would not have traded players in to other clubs. The Dogs must have been given assurances by someone that infractions are unlikely.

I said months ago that clubs were told infractions were highly highly unlikely. Hence why clubs were willing to trade for Bomber players.

Its all just a bit of a disgrace really...

AFL needs a scapegoat, and turns Hird into a martyr for the deluded masses, then thunders (we assume) Saad when they get a chance... Can't hurt the cash cow kiddies...

So the moral of the story is it is better to take stuff that cannot be tested for, say drugs not yet approved for human use. :rolleyes:

Not sure if you miss my point. My guess is that this will come out long after the players have retired. At the moment, unless Dank or a player confesses, there is slim chance of proving that they did anything illegal.

This is the OJ Simpson scenario of AFL.

Its all just a bit of a disgrace really...

AFL needs a scapegoat, and turns Hird into a martyr for the deluded masses, then thunders (we assume) Saad when they get a chance... Can't hurt the cash cow kiddies...

Tend to agree with this 100%. AFL acted in its own interests. They have too much to lose financially if they really went to town on Essendope.

It's a case of justice being seen to be done but not really done. They will most likely win a flag in the next few years, and if it comes out later, then I hope they strip them of their title... much like Melb Storm.

Tend to agree with this 100%. AFL acted in its own interests. They have too much to lose financially if they really went to town on Essendope.

It's a case of justice being seen to be done but not really done. They will most likely win a flag in the next few years, and if it comes out later, then I hope they strip them of their title... much like Melb Storm.

The AFL did not do it in 93 and 95, they will not do it.

Not sure if you miss my point. My guess is that this will come out long after the players have retired. At the moment, unless Dank or a player confesses, there is slim chance of proving that they did anything illegal.

This is the OJ Simpson scenario of AFL.

At the moment I have it at a good chance. The consent forms are damning, there will be invoices and the like as well. Unless Essendon are much better at covering up then I think they are, there will be enough peices of the jigsaw. They do not have to prove beyond reasonable doubt that a certain banned drug was taken. They only need to prove on the balance that a player agreed to take a certain banned drug. My main concern is that ASADA may be incompetent.

At the moment I have it at a good chance. The consent forms are damning, there will be invoices and the like as well. Unless Essendon are much better at covering up then I think they are, there will be enough peices of the jigsaw. They do not have to prove beyond reasonable doubt that a certain banned drug was taken. They only need to prove on the balance that a player agreed to take a certain banned drug. My main concern is that ASADA may be incompetent.

If they are looking at the entire supply chain they may get plenty of filled in gaps.
For example a compounding chemist was used. Was it a licensed compounding chemist? Do they want to lose their license? What records are they willing to cough up?
Who paid for what?

Good to see that Saad's found work for next year, assuming he gets suspended
Saad_200X320.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As expected
St Kilda has delisted Ahmed Saad from the primary list ahead of the second list lodgement today.
The club will go to the draft with picks 3, 18 and 19 and will use a later pick to officially promote Tom Curren to the senior list.
St Kilda will continue to work with Ahmed throughout his current hearing with the AFL’s tribunal.
The club can still rookie Ahmed but a decision cannot be made on that until the tribunal hands down its findings.
St Kilda list manager Ameet Bains acknowledged the unique circumstances surrounding the 24-year-old.
“Ahmed and the club are awaiting on a conclusion to his hearing before the tribunal and we will work closely with him during and after that process,” Bains said.
St Kilda list change

Hi guys and pardon my intrusion onto your board, but I cant help but feel that Saad's delisting wouldn't have been an easy decision for St Kilda to make. I feel for the kid who apparently made an innocent mistake and now faces a challenging period. I hope all pans out well for him and that St Kilda manages to find a place for him on the rookie list.

It says we can still rookie him so I think the club might look to do that should the case still be going on. We dont want to lose him if we dont have to.

Fingers crossed it's only 6 months and we can pick him up again in next year's rookie/pre season draft.

It says we can still rookie him so I think the club might look to do that should the case still be going on. We dont want to lose him if we dont have to.

Fingers crossed it's only 6 months and we can pick him up again in next year's rookie/pre season draft.

I don't think they'll rookie him (unless the AFL has ruled that he can remain on the rookie list for AFL purposed but not be a paid employee)

Remember that St Kilda are not permitted to employ Saady in any capacity. Being a rookie listed & paid player defintely counts as employment.

Unless the AFL have advised that they can keep him on the rookie list basically be giving up a spot for nothing... once the ban comes through he'll be required to be cut.

It's more likely that he'll be cut altogether & depending on the length of his ban, may be signed as a delisted free agent next year (or the year after).

A very sad situation.

Just plain sucks.

And he's a multicultural ambassador for the game.

His Muslim faith actually adds to the suckiness, for mine. While he's not the same "team" as me, I greatly respect that team in many areas, and I know that Saad is a man whose faith just fills him with integrity. You can't meet a more standup bloke. This was a brainfade, a thoughtless bit of carelessness. He wasn't consciously cheating, at all. Yet this is how he's treated.

Add to that, as a Muslim, he could encourage other Muslims to join in playing Aussie Rules. There are so many intercultural/interreligious barriers in our society, and footy has a way of breaking those down. Ahmed could be a core part of that happening. Which would be good for the game. And good for Australia.

I am just so disappointed at the AFL for not realising the potential he represents, and working harder to get him a fair deal. Especially considering they'll bend over backwards and lick their own butts to protect the systematic drug cheats at Windy Hill.

Just plain sucks.

And he's a multicultural ambassador for the game.

His Muslim faith actually adds to the suckiness, for mine. While he's not the same "team" as me, I greatly respect that team in many areas, and I know that Saad is a man whose faith just fills him with integrity. You can't meet a more standup bloke. This was a brainfade, a thoughtless bit of carelessness. He wasn't consciously cheating, at all. Yet this is how he's treated.

Add to that, as a Muslim, he could encourage other Muslims to join in playing Aussie Rules. There are so many intercultural/interreligious barriers in our society, and footy has a way of breaking those down. Ahmed could be a core part of that happening. Which would be good for the game. And good for Australia.

I am just so disappointed at the AFL for not realising the potential he represents, and working harder to get him a fair deal. Especially considering they'll bend over backwards and lick their own butts to protect the systematic drug cheats at Windy Hill.

Oh but haven't you heard, they didn't cheat. How did they cheat? What were they found guilty of taking? There was nothing in the charges saying they cheated. Blardy blah blah blah.

These were the kind of comments my mates who are Bombers supporters throw back at me when the subject gets mentioned! Deluded in the extreme, eh?

Yes mate I agree how sad it all this. They did say in the article that we are still hopeful of rookie listing him if possible. He is as you say a ripping bloke and, although he went backwards this year, and I can see him playing a part in our team going forwards...

It's a harsh lesson for the young man, and I've no doubt he will cop the full whack as the AFL & WADA will want to make an example of him before treating Essendrug with kid gloves.

2 years is a long time to sit out, but he is young enough to make his comeback, so I hope he does.

Remove this Banner Ad

Ahmed Saad's ban for energy drink on match day

Remove this Banner Ad

Back