AIHL Season 2010

Remove this Banner Ad

For those in Melbourne, first game is tomorrow night at 5:45pm at the Icehouse, Docklands.

Tickets are $20 for adults and I highly recommended all hockey fans in melbourne to come, even to just check out the new rink - it is mint!

Yep, looking forward to this. Going to the Dome for the Dees game, then taking a walk over to the Icehouse. It'll be my first time at the new rink, so I'm looking forward to see it.

Damn, I'm going to the Bombers game at G that night.

Went down to the IceHouse about a month ago to check it all out and coincidentally the Melb Ice boys just went onto the ice for practise so I hung around for about an hour watching them.

Will catch them the week after against the Dogs (which I assume are Liverpool going by the schedule) straight after the Bombers Port game at Etihad.:thumbsu:

Finally it's back!
After not getting to any games last year, I'm keen to get to as many as possible this season.
I've got a party tomorrow, but will definitely be hitting up the new rink to see some Melbourne Ice action sometime soon.

Due to other commitments in the winter months in past year I haven't been able to check out the Melbourne Ice but I'll definately make the effort to get to see some of the action this year.

For anyone who has been to an AIHL game, what's the atmosphere like and what is the standard of the league?

For anyone who has been to an AIHL game, what's the atmosphere like and what is the standard of the league?

Standard is very average. Usually I only notice 1 -3 players that stand out as a good level during the game but there are goals scored so its not all bad. I haven't seen a fight yet so I wouldn't go expecting to see fights and physical play.

Atmosphere is hard to predict going forward. At Oakleigh usually about 100 people would go to the game and the crowd was pretty quiet. Last night at Icehouse Docklands, the first game was sold out and Melbourne Ice was turning people away at the door. The new rink seats 1,300 so it might be worth while to inquire in advance to make sure you get a seat. It will be very interesting to see if the Melbourne Ice can maintain the great support they had.

P.S. Melbourne Ice won 4-1 last night

Last night a sellout, good result for the club on & off the ice. :thumbsu:

Given the money that the taxpayer have spent on the Icehouse facility (some $50-million odd) I'm disappointed to hear that it only has a capacity of only 1300. Makes it a bit difficult to attract quality international events.

I will take your advice on booking ahead, I'm thinking of going next week. :thumbsu:

On the Oakleigh, I've heard that for hockey it wasn't a good venue anyway, no capacityt, poor facilities etc. I heard that for crowd safety reason players weren't allowed to use the slap shop :thumbsdown: I'm assuming the Icehouse is properly equipped for hockey.

Hopefully being at the Icehouse will increase interest in the team and in the sport which will hopefully = more money, more people taking up the sport and eventually a better standard.

hi all. i had the pleasure of attending the historical inaugural game at the icehouse last night and it was better than expected. the crowd turn up was a record crowd for any hockey game in this country and the atmosphere took a while to kick in. hammo could have ruined the night with some soft descisions in the first as the call on webster was debatable at best. kudos to brad vigon scoring the historical first goal on a play that was set up by the velvet hands of jamie bourke.

it took a whole period for the boys to settle but the second session was very good. i love the little jacob baclig (57), boy was he unlucky hitting the post twice but finishing with three assists was just rewards.

vinnie hughes lifted the crowd with some queensbury rules action but i think he came off second best. the boys were dominant all game and the crowd needs to be more vocal, which over time will happen. the venue is first class and i have never had to queue for a beer in this country at any game of ice before. it also could be said that you couldnt buy beer before at a game either.

great work by all involved and cant wait for next week. go ice

Good wrap up, cuz. Was great to see a packed house at a hockey game, and for the Ice to get the win in that style can only be a good thing going forward.

You mentioned having to line up for beer, and yeah, not much fun trying to push through the crowds up the top of the stands. They really need to disallow people from standing at the back there, because it meant everyone wanting to go to get food, drink, or make a pit stop had to trudge through single file. The ice itself looked great (no pot holes for once!), albeit VERY wet to start the third period.

Here is a picture from where I was sitting - front row on the far side.

01052010041.jpg

I wasn't able to get to the Ice Arena tonight but Adelaide and Sydney finished at 2-2, with Adelaide getting the two points in a shootout.

Jodie Blewett, wife of Adelaide Captain Greg Oddy and ex wife of test cricketer Greg Blewett was named number one ticket holder :p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i went on Saturday to the Gold Coast Blue Tongues vs the Canberra Knights,

Good result with tongues winning 6-5

But the crowd amazed me, after going to a few games last year with dismal crowds, this one was packed in the little arena.

Good to see more support, im a true blue Aussie whos never even been overseas but I love ice hockey. Very entertaining and aggressive game :D

Hey Marns, what's the ticketing arrangement like? Allocated seats or GA style? I'm 50/50 atm of being able to catch this Saturdays game after the Essendon game.

Great to see a sell out first up.:thumbsu:
Yeah mate, it's just general admission, as far as I could tell on Saturday. There is a members area from blue line to blue line, but outside of that is where us plebs sit.
I'll most likely be across the road at one of the pubs there before the game - I've got word of $2 pots, so might fill up beforehand!

No worries. Hopefully it's the right one that I'm directing you to! I'll blame it on my mates for telling me lies if it isn't.

I'll be going along today. Kind of dropped off half way through last season, but it'll be great to check out the Ice in their new building.

Melbourne smashed the Bears tonight 9-2. They controlled all the way from start to finish by setting up some good momentum early. They were hitting hard, which was getting the very strong crowd right into it and it didn't take long to get on the board. I wasn't at the first game, as I said earlier today, but it looked like a packed house again to me. :)

The rink is absolutely top notch.

Remove this Banner Ad

AIHL Season 2010

Remove this Banner Ad

Back