AIHL Season 2010

Remove this Banner Ad

I got along to my first AIHL game last night at the Icehouse and really enjoyed it :thumbsu: I'll definitely be back for more, my sister is even talking about buying a memberships as well.

ANd like a few other have said it looked pretty close to a sellout to me as well, shame thyat as a spectacle it wasn't a close game for the crowd but at least that in the context of a Melbourne crowd at least the right team won.

THe physical pressure by the Ice early was great and the crowd was definitely partisan, the silence when the Bears scored a goal told that.

It was nice to see the the Bears lose the plot in the third period with two 10-minute game misconducts, I wonder how many locker room doors Michael Schlamp broke on his way out last night. :D

On a final note I thought it was a really good touch by Ice to have the players, still in uniform meet and greet the fans straight after the game. You can tell they are pretty happy to have new fan base at the games.

Boys were dominant again last night and blew the bears out of the building.crowd was again massive and a lot more into the game.Jason baclig finished the night with five goals. The first saw some assertive hockey with a big emphasis on them finishing thier checks and lots of forechecking pressure. Hammo again looked like he was going to stuff the game right up with some lame calls in the first period. One point I was dissapointed in was after the second period after we were up 7-1 they still had denman in net. Surely it was the right time to put crowther in to get some game in. Next week boys play the nights in Canberra. Go ice

One point I was dissapointed in was after the second period after we were up 7-1 they still had denman in net. Surely it was the right time to put crowther in to get some game in. Next week boys play the nights in Canberra. Go ice
You can't have been to many Ice games to know that they simply refuse to not play Denman. It's a pity, because as good as he is there is some immense goaltending talent in Victoria that has been alienated by this policy.

:confused:
You can't have been to many Ice games to know that they simply refuse to not play Denman. It's a pity, because as good as he is there is some immense goaltending talent in Victoria that has been alienated by this policy.

good point vc i only made three games last year and the policy does suck. but you and i both know if denman comes down with the flu or breaks a bone or two then they will rely on crowther and i have no doubt he will step up. still though it would have been the right thing to put him in the net. they were never going to give up the lead after the second period. i heard rumours flying round the rink that dahlen phillips is playing with the mustangs and there looks like a lot of shit happening behind the scenes. are the mustangs being set up by disgruntled fathers with wads of cash just so thier own boys can get a game in this competition after them being rejected by the ice originally. dont think the mustangs will get the support the ice get at present. they are playing an exhibition game against the perth allstars on the saturday nite before the ice play the allstars on the sunday and the jersey is the philly flyers. source is deep within the organisation. also the team is made up of predominantly juniors

:confused:

good point vc i only made three games last year and the policy does suck. but you and i both know if denman comes down with the flu or breaks a bone or two then they will rely on crowther and i have no doubt he will step up. still though it would have been the right thing to put him in the net. they were never going to give up the lead after the second period. i heard rumours flying round the rink that dahlen phillips is playing with the mustangs and there looks like a lot of shit happening behind the scenes. are the mustangs being set up by disgruntled fathers with wads of cash just so thier own boys can get a game in this competition after them being rejected by the ice originally. dont think the mustangs will get the support the ice get at present. they are playing an exhibition game against the perth allstars on the saturday nite before the ice play the allstars on the sunday and the jersey is the philly flyers. source is deep within the organisation. also the team is made up of predominantly juniors
In the past they've often had back ups that aren't up to it, because they're the only ones that will sit there and not play at all, basically just kinda hoping to get a bit of time if Denman goes down mid game. I think it was last season, or maybe the season before where Denman did miss a couple of games. Guys like Roland Weber and Mark Howell have been back ups - both nice guys, but a long way below AIHL standard. Alain Giauque was back up for a bit there as well and he's a bit better than them, but when Denman missed games for family reasons (I think while Giauque was back up) they put in a call to Dahlen Phillips and he played very well.

I actually disagree with your point about putting Crowther in last night. He needs to get starts at some stage though. Once you start a goalie, you go with him unless he's playing poorly. I don't believe in changing goalies, unless you are forced to because of his own bad play or if the team needs a shake up.

The one that they've missed out on is Jeremy Muir, who I rate amongst the best handful of goalies in the country. He was back up for a season a few years ago, but it doesn't seem like they treated him well. I don't know whether he's open to playing AIHL these days, as he's got a fair bit on his plate, but if he was he would be a fantastic starter for either Melbourne team.

There's a fair bit of info about the Mustangs on their Facebook page, including their roster. If they do end up getting into the AIHL I'd love to get behind them because I've got a lot of friends on that team (as I do on the Ice) but I think I'll honestly wait and see how they are looking as an organisation first.

FWIW, here is their squad...I wonder if they would be able to (or if they would try to) poach some Ice players if they got into the AIHL.

1. Scott Corbett - IMPORT Centre
2. Mike Thorburn - IMPORT Defense
3. Steve Belic - Centre
4. Matt Stringer - Centre
5. Andrew Belic - Wing
6. Jack Carpenter - Wing
7. Dean Dunstan - Centre
8. Jullius Vittika - Wing
9. Chris James - Wing
10. Damien Bright - Defense/Wing
11. Travis Alabaster - Wing
12. Brendan Oakes - Defense
13. Brendan McDowell - Wing
14. Shane Hardy - Wing
15. Jack McCoy - Wing
16. Adrian Nash - Wing
17. Andrew Fitzgerald - Wing
18. Mike McDowell - Defense
19. Troy Robertson - Defense
20. Tristan Muir - Defense
21. Travis Woods - Defense
22. Enrico Bergamin - Defense
23. Chris Drake - Defense
24. Ryan Bennett - Defense

GOALIES
25. Michael James
26. Fraser Carson
27. Mitchell Waters

There are a couple of names on that list that I would be kind of embarrassed for the sake of the league to see playing AIHL, but obviously at this stage that's just a development squad. There are also some extremely talented guys there and I'm not sure what the circumstances are with them not currently playing on the Ice (a few of them have in the past, but aren't now).

i take your point vc about leaving denman in the net. i was looking purely at a depth of team perspective mainly and i agree he should start a game but that could be a way off with the ice having the desire to win the comp this year. therefore will jaffa and the powers that be be ballsy enough to start him, i truly hope so.

i totally agree with you on the mustangs list having players on it that could be very embarrasing to have in AIHL. there are though some good ones on there also and the whole focus i hear is about giving the juniors a fair go and not have them warm the pine for the ice organisation. so be it and good luck to them. like youself i will wait and see

Yeh Jaff gave Crowther a handful of periods towards the end of last season. I'll stand corrected but I think his only full start was the exhibition game in Perth.

What's the go with these Mustangs? I understand its a lot of anti-Ice, pro-Saints/Blackhawks/Demons/Braves/etc. who want their own club. Is it a mere formality that they roll into the AIHL next season? And what's their schedule for this season, the occasional hit up here and there?

What's the go with these Mustangs? I understand its a lot of anti-Ice, pro-Saints/Blackhawks/Demons/Braves/etc. who want their own club. Is it a mere formality that they roll into the AIHL next season? And what's their schedule for this season, the occasional hit up here and there?

The story I heard on the weekend was that the other AIHL teams want a 2nd melbourne team from a logistics point of view, instead of doing melb/adel on a weekend, fly to melb, play a game against each team on sat/sun, fly home.

The story I heard on the weekend was that the other AIHL teams want a 2nd melbourne team from a logistics point of view, instead of doing melb/adel on a weekend, fly to melb, play a game against each team on sat/sun, fly home.

And if the two Melbourne sides can generate a genuine and fierce rivalry the whole comp will be the better for it, bit the the NBL in basketball is always better when their are two Melbourne teams in it :thumbsu:

A lot of the kids on the Mustangs list aren't too fond of the Ice. They've either been on the team and didn't get much of a go, or were cut. There's a few in particular who I know aren't fond of the Melbourne Ice.

While a lot of them will have grown up playing with and against each other, and could even call each other mates, I reckon there could be a bit of feeling between the two sides if the Mustangs were to join.

I didn't even realise we had a national hockey league. Blue Tongues are playing at home this weekend so i will probably check out 1 of the games. What rules do they use?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I didn't even realise we had a national hockey league. Blue Tongues are playing at home this weekend so i will probably check out 1 of the games. What rules do they use?
International rules. Can't think of any specific variations for the AIHL, other than the fact they play 3 x 15 minute periods.

The Melbourne ice dominated the Canberra knights n Canberra ast nite 5-1. I heard the team was right on top of them with 19 shots in the second period to canberras 10. Apparently the ice had a record 54 shots on net and I believe the standard was awesome

heard a rumor that vinnie hughes brother joey is comming back home for good and will playing for the ice after the queens birthday weekend. that should add more potency to an already dominating force in this league. off to the game tonite to watch the boys wreak havoc on the ice dogs. go ice

Didn't go tonight, but a few Facebook statuses saying Ice won 7-0 and that Crowther got the start (and the shutout obviously). :)

That'd be great if Joey came back for good. Would be a huge get for the Ice.

Didn't go tonight, but a few Facebook statuses saying Ice won 7-0 and that Crowther got the start (and the shutout obviously). :)

Correct on both counts :thumbsu:

Crowther had a few hairy moments in the first period but a very solid showing.

Good win by the Ice.

It was also revealed that Melbourne and the Icehouse will be host next year's World Championships. A great boost for Ice Hockey in this country :thumbsu:

Correct on both counts :thumbsu:

Crowther had a few hairy moments in the first period but a very solid showing.

Good win by the Ice.

It was also revealed that Melbourne and the Icehouse will be host next year's World Championships. A great boost for Ice Hockey in this country :thumbsu:
That's awesome! I went to the World Champs when they were in Newcastle in 2008 and it was a fantastic experience. I figured this wouldn't be too far away with this new facility. :)

the after game celebration at the harbourtown bar was very entertaining with jason baclig showing off his musical attributes which were very good. the team and supporters all enjoyed his work. happy birthday also to jamie bourke.

What does that actually mean? Is it just an Australian qualifying match played there?

it means the WHOLE division two group that australia is in will be played in its entirety in melbourne. so all the round robin games and then the finals over a couple of weeks. should be about eight countries involved. massive.

As far as I know vc it was always six countries but apparently the iihf has split div 2 up and it now has an a and b group and each are supposedly have eight countries. That is how it was explained to me. We will wait and see

Remove this Banner Ad

AIHL Season 2010

Remove this Banner Ad

Back