Coach Alastair Clarkson III - new NMFC senior coach until at least end 2027 - NMFC board approved AC to start 1/11 amid ongoing HFC racism investigation

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Age old question. Why do black people in America murder the same amount of people as white people despite being less than half the quantity?

Poverty? Family issues? American “gang” culture? Problems with authority? Racism? A combination of all of the above?

But blaming institutional racism for committing violent crime does t wash with me. Nor does a pedo blaming past abuses or junkies blaming their addiction.

I know it’s unpopular to state people are responsible for their own decisions but that’s my personal belief and part of my culture.

It's factual to say that people are best set-up to succeed in life when their parents are happy and remain together, they receive good education and are surrounded by a loving environment.

Jim Crow laws in America led to many years of segregation and a disadvantaged population as a result. The idea that blacks and whites were 'separate but equal' made segregation acceptable. Unfortunately, the separate part unfolded and 'equal' did not eventuate. Black schools (and facilities on the whole) were much worse than the ones the whites had access to, this led to a poorer education and life experience generally.

Racism also meant business owners (who were overwhelmingly non-black, due to historical reasons such as slavery) didn't employ blacks, this meant blacks were poorer on the whole as they were not employed. You didn't hire black people unless you were happy to pay them less (and some did). When equal pay became a thing, many blacks lost their jobs to white people.

Add to this the government incentive for women not to get married in the late 1900's which led to black single-family households going from 20% to 70% in a very short period of time. As mentioned, fractured families impact children.

The above things are purely things that have occurred since ~1880. You could go further back and try to understand the impacts slavery had on blacks for generations, even after it was abolished.

While I agree that people are responsible for their own decisions, it's also true that some are much further back than others when it comes to living a 'successful' and 'fulfilling' life. I don't think this negates personal responsibility, but hopefully helps us deal with others in a more gracious way.

Last edited:

No probs at all. I have much to offer on this topic. I am sure you could learn if you ever took the time to listen. Consider myself an expert in this field. ;)
your expert perspective on this is "not everyone, though", yea cool

It's factual to say that people are best set-up to succeed in life when their parents are happy and remain together, they receive good education and are surrounded by a loving environment.

Jim Crow laws in America led to many years of segregation and a disadvantaged population as a result. The idea that blacks and whites were 'separate but equal' made segregation acceptable. Unfortunately, the separate part unfolded and 'equal' did not eventuate. Black schools (and facilities on the whole) were much worse than the ones the whites had access to, this led to a poorer education and life experience generally.

Racism also meant business owners (who were overwhelmingly non-black, due to historical reasons such as slavery) didn't employ blacks, this meant blacks were poorer on the whole as they were not employed. You didn't hire black people unless you were happy to pay them less (and some did). When equal pay became a thing, many blacks lost their jobs to white people.

Add to this the government incentive for women not to get married in the late 1900's which led to black single-family households going from 20% to 70% in a very short period of time. As mentioned, fractured families impact children.

The above things are purely things that have occurred since ~1880. You could go further back and try to understand the impacts slavery had on blacks for generations, even after it finished.

While I agree that people are responsible for their own decisions, it's also true that some are much further back than others when it comes to living a 'successful' and 'fulfilling' life. I don't think this negates personal responsibility, but hopefully helps us deal with others in a more gracious way.
Well said

your expert perspective on this is "not everyone, though", yea cool

Not sure what you mean. Was just willing to offer a personal perspective of what had been discussed. Seem to have come to the wrong board to give insight to the Stolen Generation which was heavily discussed. All the best for your season in 2023. Shakes head and leaves.

Last edited:
Not sure what you mean. Was just willing to offer a personal perspective of what had been discussed. Seem to have come to the wrong board to give insight to the Stolen Generation which was heavily discussed. All the best for your season in 2023. Shakes head and leaves.
No, you didn't come on the wrong board, if anything, you came to the right board, but it's odd to read your comments from a Collingwood supporter. You're obviously too young to have been to a game at Victoria Park.

TV news tonight, think 7, said Fagan was at Marvel stadium with the Brisbane officials today. Interesting!
If that’s correct then my info on Clarko wanting to start on or close to Nov 1 is looking likely. I can’t see how the positions of Fagan and Clarkson aren’t aligned here. If one starts so does the other. I can’t wait.

No, you didn't come on the wrong board, if anything, you came to the right board, but it's odd to read your comments from a Collingwood supporter. You're obviously too young to have been to a game at Victoria Park.

I was at every game at Victoria Park from the late 60s through to 90s.

I was at every game at Victoria Park from the late 60s through to 90s.
Did you note any racism from the Collingwood crowd towards the Krakouer brothers at that time?
You might have some expertise on this topic but you need to be careful about the use of 'us and them':the issues of settler colonisation are something that EVERYONE has to grapple with. I have written extensively on this topic myself as an academic - I grapple with my actions and ambivalence on this topic every day. This includes ambivalences towards our uncomfortable history, and towards processes of dealing with persistent injustices and the intersecting forms of domination evident in everyday life such as cultural and gender bias (intersectionality) including hegemonic masculinity and heteronormativity.

Did you note any racism from the Collingwood crowd towards the Krakouer brothers at that time?
You might have some expertise on this topic but you need to be careful about the use of 'us and them':the issues of settler colonisation are something that EVERYONE has to grapple with. I have written extensively on this topic myself as an academic - I grapple with my actions and ambivalence on this topic every day. This includes ambivalences towards our uncomfortable history, and towards processes of dealing with persistent injustices and the intersecting forms of domination evident in everyday life such as cultural and gender bias (intersectionality) including hegemonic masculinity and heteronormativity.

Yes, I did. Significant. I know how the Krakouer brothers felt. Appalling behaviour. I am very comfortable with how I refer to Aboriginals.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

By the way, two of my favourite players ever.

Also would love to read your academic work if it is available

Why are you posting in here?
Go back to your own board and stop stirring s**t up.

How is a person who is extremely interested in reading more and more academic material about Aboriginals stirring things up? Bobby B I would genuinely be interested in reading.

Getting back on point, what is your feeling on Clarko going ahead and coaching the roos?

I will give as honest an answer as I can. Firstly, I have empathy for the Kangas as the Clarkson situation is a product not of their own doing. I should state I am an Aboriginal person who hid his Aboriginality for close to the first 50 years of my life because I experienced the worst racism one could imagine at an early age and knew that being Aboriginal only brought me pain. My life was torn apart as a youngster, and I harboured much hatred. At first, I had nothing but anger towards Clarkson, Fagan etc because when you experienced what I did you have tainted glasses. If what is alleged to have been said and done, then Clarkson and Fagan should never ever coach again. There is still a story to be told though and we will wait and hopefully both sides will be given adequate opportunity to present their views. I am prepared to wait and hopefully let justice prevail through an inquiry and I hope that the media doesn't continue to taint the proceedings as they are. My heart breaks for the Aboriginal boys and their families, I feel their pain, but I am educated and empathetic enough to realise people must be given fair to go and have a chance to defend themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back