Coach Alastair Clarkson - NMFC Senior Coach - Coaching & Football Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

This brings me to the point that Hardwick can swear in a post match media conference without any repercussions yet Clarko is put over the coals and has to coach from up in the box. Double standards anyone?
It’s really nothing like the same thing.

Accuracy of argument is important. Suggesting it was only 2 years ago strengthens your point while 6 years weakens it.

Not really, at this point you’re debating when the recency bias’ wear off and what worth is a premiership to a coach in the broader footy landscape, you’re opening the can of worms there.

My point was very simple; don’t import the philosophies of other sports into AFL. Period. And its round 18, let him coach the rest of the year, North is a direct case example of how mid-season it does do anything good for the club unless its a crisis and even then its a sugar hit.

It’s pretty ridiculous the mentality of the NBA/NFL/FIFA has weeded its way into the perception of coaches now in the AFL where a flag just a couple years removed now means sweet **** all to the head honchos at clubland.
Do the names Alan Joyce, Robert Walls, David Parkin, Tony Jewell and Norm Smith ring a bell?

This brings me to the point that Hardwick can swear in a post match media conference without any repercussions yet Clarko is put over the coals and has to coach from up in the box. Double standards anyone?
In fairness some flog told the afl that clarko called the umpire an effin see. They did have to investigate.

In fairness some flog told the afl that clarko called the umpire an effin see. They did have to investigate.
Agreed, BUT it was leaked to the media right after the AFL was getting heat regarding the umpire earpieces and the investigation took a whole ****ing week. The **** was there to investigate? Just look at the god damn footage.

Agreed, BUT it was leaked to the media right after the AFL was getting heat regarding the umpire earpieces and the investigation took a whole *ing week. The * was there to investigate? Just look at the god damn footage.
Yeah, oddly, it didn't become a thing until the Thursday after the game, and in the meantime, the umpires' earpiece story was gathering momentum. Very suspicious timing. In politics, they call that a dead cat strategy.

Simmo has been sacked. Bring him home to work under Clarko again.
Please Please Good Luck GIF by True and the Rainbow Kingdom

11 years, 1 Flag and a GF

Fair effort
Yeah, but what has he done for them lately….

Pretty rough I reckon.
Both statements are correct but the politics regarding footy in a 2 team state is so much different to what it is in Victoria.

It’s cannibalistic…..when things go bad they’ll eat each other.

We’re seeing that now with Hinkley at Port.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Both statements are correct but the politics regarding footy in a 2 team state is so much different to what it is in Victoria.

It’s cannibalistic…..when things go bad they’ll eat each other.

We’re seeing that now with Hinkley at Port.

I have no idea why you have quoted a comment as bland as when Ian Leslie was on 60 Minutes

How Clarko’s emotional outpouring helped spark Roos’ turnaround​

Jay Clark

North Melbourne senior coach Alastair Clarkson opened up about the depth of his personal struggles to the Roos’ playing group at the start of the club’s remarkable turnaround.

Clarkson, who has strongly maintained his innocence in Hawthorn’s racism saga, spoke about his difficult 18 months in the lead-up to the club’s first win of the season over West Coast last month.

The Roos were coming off 11 straight losses when Clarkson, one of the greatest coaches of the modern era, lifted the lid on his emotions of his recent journey in a bid to help encourage more connection between everyone at the club.

It has coincided with some game style tweaks which has helped spark a sharp improvement for his team over the past month including a win over Gold Coast and spirited performances against Collingwood, Melbourne and Western Bulldogs.

Much-improved defender Charlie Comben said Clarkson’s emotional discussion with the players struck a chord ahead of the Round 14 turnaround.

Comben said Clarkson reaffirmed his commitment to the Kangaroos’ players despite the poor start to the 2024 season.
“Clarko opened up about how he has had a pretty tumultuous last year-and-a-half and he more or less said he is ‘all in’,” Comben said.

“He has been struggling with it and he wanted us to understand it and what he had been going through.

“It was a really special and touching moment and we really appreciated that.
“He was a little bit (emotional). It was a pretty candid chat.

“It was something we really appreciated and I feel a lot closer to him for that as well.”

The Roos have also played taller in attack over the past month and focused more on extracting advantage from their clearance game around stars Luke Davies-Uniacke and George Wardlaw.

Clarkson has a reputation as one of footy’s most ferocious competitors having led Hawthorn to four premierships in one of the game’s most successful runs.

He was poached by North Melbourne to help lead the club’s rise up the ladder but there have been plenty of hurdles including a fine for swearing at opposition players in a pre-season game against St Kilda. He also took some time away last year to deal with the fallout of the Hawks’ racism saga.
Comben said the Clarkson speech was part of the club’s attempts to be more connected as a whole.

“He spoke about the importance of connection and really getting to know one another on a personal level,” Comben said on Triple M.

“Obviously most football clubs have an emphasis on that, but I feel that is something we have really tried to explore more deeply this year.”

The Roos will attempt to chalk up back-to-back wins against Sydney Swans at the SCG on Saturday.

The Kangas last won at the venue in 2018.

Cool read and all - but how was Clarko "poached"? He was getting walked out the door for the shiny new toy.
I think they’ve left that part in accidentally from their * slanted articles.

Cool read and all - but how was Clarko "poached"? He was getting walked out the door for the shiny new toy.
I think they mean he didn’t go to a big club as expected. By ‘poached’ they show that they think one of those clubs have an entitlement to all things that seem valuable in the game. That little slip up says a lot about their mentality.

Swearing at the umpires is standard practice, and should be encouraged due to their incompetence.

It’s heat of the moment.

I used to wait for them and hang over the fence.

Swearing at a press conference is just a rookie move.

Good luck to them. What cares for comparisons really.

Clarko > Hardwick.

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Alastair Clarkson - NMFC Senior Coach - Coaching & Football Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back