Coach Alastair Clarkson - NMFC Senior Coach - Coaching & Football Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm slightly mixed on The Stewart Question. When Plan A was going great to start with, he was relatively a non factor. When things changed and Plan A was no longer being executed well he was a very big factor. Put it another way, his good performance was more a symptom of Plan A not working, rather than a cause.

Should we have tried to stem the bleeding and blanket him, mixed more things up and tried alternate plans (that don't really exist yet), or kept plugging away with changes solely focused on trying to get Plan A working again?

At this stage of our development, considering changing what Plan A was after the bye is what led to our drastic improvement, trying to find ways to get it working again is probably the right call. But **** me, in all too many games (for years and years and years) we consistently let an opposition player have an utter blinder and don't often make serious attempts to curb them directly, so I understand (and also experience!) the visceral reactions to it.

What went wrong on our end and why we couldn't adjust enough to regain our flair is more worrying. Well. Kind of. Less worrying and more just frustrating I guess? We've got a weak underbelly where the players deflate as much as fans do at a single horrific moment (and our on field leaders and veterans aren't able to rally the troops quickly), the mid/forward connection is dogshit, and just generally we have too many players that are (at best) inconstant with their disposal.

At this stage I'm now judging us more for how we play against teams near us, rather than an ageless Geelong that got over their start-of-season funk. On that note, Clarko has a bloody big week ahead of him!

Love how he is talking about 25/26

He knows we’re better than we look on paper, the amount of growth this year is tremendous across the board, and if we close out the season strong that is a huge success and the kind of progression needed.

We can storm into the 2025 season with thinking ‘we may be good enough for finals’.

It's...

It's H...

It's H...

It's H...

It's Happ...

Always Sunny Shut Up GIF

Lids firmly on. Knock on wood

The Clarkson presser was absolutely terrible.

Coaches (well North Melbourne ones) get reprimanded for any emotional or unprofessional acts.

Meanwhile they're expected to cop more or less unfettered interrogation from media in whatever non-football direction they like.

Why didn't the AFL issue its accredited media with a " No questions about an employee relations / legal matter" stipulation when they happily play gatekeeper on plenty of other matters?

Coaches (well North Melbourne ones) get reprimanded for any emotional or unprofessional acts.

Meanwhile they're expected to cop more or less unfettered interrogation from media in whatever non-football direction they like.

Why didn't the AFL issue its accredited media with a " No questions about an employee relations / legal matter" stipulation when they happily play gatekeeper on plenty of other matters?
It’s actually a very good call. Pretty appalling treatment by the media. AFL are dogs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It is utterly disgusting how much the media get away with.

No such thing as boundaries. Absolute vultures with zero integrity. All they do is shamelessly disseminate bullshit rumours that ruin people's lives and get zero repercussions. Then go in deeper on public figures that are vulnerable so it really hurts.

Journalism should be about facts and providing valuable insight to the modern fabric of our game. That has gone completely out the window.

The 'journalists' have about as much accountability as our umpires and officials.

Zero improvement across both seasons so far.

Torched MULTIPLE 6+ goal leads.

Keeps preaching time. Well, it’s been 24 months and there’s no discernible improvement as a TEAM.

What have you got?

Yeh the post bye honeymoon is over.

We are not flying. Last week masked that our pressure and ball use has dropped off and today was a the wake up call.

Not sold on him just yet and I’d want to see some ruthlessness next year.

If he's serious about using the rest of the year as prep for 2025/26, he's got to start to put some heat publically on the players.
You beat me to it.
Feel like he's been holding back (at least externally).
Time to stop pussy footing around & show us the real Clarko.

Yeah I've tried to give him a bit of a longer grace period due to the off field stuff he had to deal with last year but what the hell is he doing continuing to play Shiel and McDonald.

Stop treating the older players with kids gloves ffs we need angry Clarko. We make fun of Brad for playing his older favourites but do we really have much leg to stand on when Clarko does it

Next year there must be huge improvment in wins or questions will start to be asked. He will be in year 3 with 60 odd games under the belt and there will be no more excuses.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Alastair Clarkson - NMFC Senior Coach - Coaching & Football Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back