Past Albert Proud (2007-2011)

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Albert Proud

I'm hoping Proud is made of sterner stuff than to take that attitude. He would know his performances at the top level haven't demanded selection, and he would know that he isn't the only one with a strong case for selection. Competition for spots is a good thing, and hopefully it brings about the best in players, not the poor me syndrome.

I am sure the roller coaster of selection would have to have an effect on him. Just like any other ordinary human being. Footballers love footy and do get emotional about it regardless of the level you play at. Outwardly you wouldn't want him displaying that attitude but inward you would have to think it would now be starting to take a bit of a toll. Once again it is great to see people willing to highlight Proud's deficiencies but then defend the deficiencies of current team members. Yet i would think some of their deficiencies cost us much more than Proud's!

I am sure the roller coaster of selection would have to have an effect on him. Just like any other ordinary human being. Footballers love footy and do get emotional about it regardless of the level you play at. Outwardly you wouldn't want him displaying that attitude but inward you would have to think it would now be starting to take a bit of a toll. Once again it is great to see people willing to highlight Proud's deficiencies but then defend the deficiencies of current team members. Yet i would think some of their deficiencies cost us much more than Proud's!

As a player you would know that certain areas of the team are covered a fair bit more than the others:thumbsu:. The midfield, Albies natural position has more than sufficient coverage at this point though the same may not be said for our defense. Yes the defense has been outstanding this season but IMO we do not have the same depth as the midfield. Could Albie play one of those roles downback? I doubt it. If any player is to go into the defense and change the structure IMO it will be Colm when he is fit.

inward you would have to think it would now be starting to take a bit of a toll.

I'm sure he would be disappointed when his name doesn't get read out, but if he's already thinking of throwing in the towel then he's not cut out for AFL footy. Personally I have more faith in him and would like to think that his will has not weakened, and in fact is as strong as ever.

Once again it is great to see people willing to highlight Proud's deficiencies but then defend the deficiencies of current team members.

That is a perception based on your own views of the matter. I would have thought that Proud gets a better rap than most around here.

I think the reason for his non-selection is because he has had opportunities but hasn't really grabbed them. If he was yet to play senior footy, he may well have gotten a gig this week, but they have seen him and decided he's not ready yet.

With our injury list somewhat declining, there has been less opportunity to blood players, and I think they are wanting to give different players a run to see how they go. Proud isn't the only one pushing for selection and rather than put faith in one player, they are giving each of them a chance to prove themselves.

Albert played against Collingwood and Sydney this year - two of our toughest games and IMO games that are an unfair measure for a young player. Polkinghorne gets a go about Melbourne IIRC and Hawksley against Freo and Harding against most of the easier teams. If Albert was fortunate to play during our typical winning streak and didn't perform, then I agree with all comments since I posed the question yesterday.

Secondly, if we are giving guys who haven't played a go, why not Dalziell against a strong experienced and seasoned outfit who is more mature age? Polkinghorne has done nothing to warrant selection and surely will be exposed agaisnst the Crows and if not Proud then why not Dalziell?

I will be happy to admit if I am wrong come Saturday night, but with Sherman and Johnstone now going down our midfield looks massively exposed. I don't see how Henderson and Stiller and the already selected Polkinghorne, fulfill the glaring deficiencies and Proud or Dalziell would certainly have helped. Thank-god I am not selector, because IF we lose, it will be obvious what everyone's beef will be about.

Albert played against Collingwood and Sydney this year - two of our toughest games and IMO games that are an unfair measure for a young player. Polkinghorne gets a go about Melbourne IIRC and Hawksley against Freo and Harding against most of the easier teams. If Albert was fortunate to play during our typical winning streak and didn't perform, then I agree with all comments since I posed the question yesterday.

That is a fair point. Part of his problem may be that his style of play is more suited to more difficult opposition. Against a team like Melbourne we already have them covered in terms of winning the hard ball, so an outside player offers us more.

Secondly, if we are giving guys who haven't played a go, why not Dalziell against a strong experienced and seasoned outfit who is more mature age? Polkinghorne has done nothing to warrant selection and surely will be exposed agaisnst the Crows and if not Proud then why not Dalziell?

I don't think these are questions that anyone other that the coaching staff can answer with any certainty. One thing to consider is that the feedback we get back from the Suncoast games is a lot less than we get from the senior games, so our perceptions are likely to be less accurate.

I actually think Polkinghorne has been at least as good as either Proud or Hawksley in the senior team and my guess is we'll see Dalziell given his chance before too long.

Thank-god I am not selector, because IF we lose, it will be obvious what everyone's beef will be about.

I don't see the selection process as being that simple. If we lose that doesn't mean we would have won if we'd selected Proud.

Why would Albie "fulfill glaring sufficiencies"? Are you not taking into consideration that he is a 2nd year player with 2 games under his belt? That seems an unfair expectation of one so young to me. After my viewing of him I do not see him as a game breaker at this stage of his career and certainly not against an outfit as well drilled as the Crows. As to Polkinghorne he looked no worse in AFLQ than anyone else. Not being at the MCG last week I am unable to comment as to his speed. I read one post stating that he was too slow but in AFLQ he looked OK and to have good hands and was able to hit a running target via both hand and foot.

As a player you would know that certain areas of the team are covered a fair bit more than the others:thumbsu:. The midfield, Albies natural position has more than sufficient coverage at this point though the same may not be said for our defense. Yes the defense has been outstanding this season but IMO we do not have the same depth as the midfield. Could Albie play one of those roles downback? I doubt it. If any player is to go into the defense and change the structure IMO it will be Colm when he is fit.

I disagree, we lack real extractors of the footy, Proud gets in and releases the footy at aflq level and that is his natural game. We also lack leg speed, Proud has that as well. I am not advocating him as the next Judd, i just tend to think his style of footy is exactly what our squad needs. I also work on the theory if the kid is good enough than play him and he will quickly learn what he needs to improve. I think in this case the kid is good enough!

Why would Albie "fulfill glaring sufficiencies"? Are you not taking into consideration that he is a 2nd year player with 2 games under his belt? That seems an unfair expectation of one so young to me. After my viewing of him I do not see him as a game breaker at this stage of his career and certainly not against an outfit as well drilled as the Crows. As to Polkinghorne he looked no worse in AFLQ than anyone else. Not being at the MCG last week I am unable to comment as to his speed. I read one post stating that he was too slow but in AFLQ he looked OK and to have good hands and was able to hit a running target via both hand and foot.

Don't expect him to break games open, but he is more likely to develop the ability to do so learning more of his craft at senior level. He needs 30-50 games before we will see a high possession midfielder. Can't get those games under your belt while play in the seconds.

There seems to be a feeling that people pushing for Proud's selection expect him to get 30 touches and win games off his own boot. This is not the case, i just think you are better off giving games to talented players like Proud over others.

I disagree, we lack real extractors of the footy, Proud gets in and releases the footy at aflq level and that is his natural game. We also lack leg speed, Proud has that as well. I am not advocating him as the next Judd, i just tend to think his style of footy is exactly what our squad needs. I also work on the theory if the kid is good enough than play him and he will quickly learn what he needs to improve. I think in this case the kid is good enough!

I guess we will have to agree to disagree. I am looking forward to seeing him play tomorrow though. Our debate means I am making a special effort to se the ressies play. And if anyone tells me they are not playing I will be devastated.

I don't see the selection process as being that simple. If we lose that doesn't mean we would have won if we'd selected Proud.

Poorly worded on my part. I was trying to insinuate that if we lose, that the non-selection of Proud, would of course not be the sole reason for any lashback, rather that we look light on for mids, of course with the exceptions of Black, Power and Rischitelli and Proud's selection may have added to our midfield depth on the night.

I was trying to make the point that with the additional losses of Johnstone and Sherman, two genuine quality mids, that the selction of Stiller and Henderson was rather questionable and mind-boggling considering our lack of midfield depth, that is all.

Don't expect him to break games open, but he is more likely to develop the ability to do so learning more of his craft at senior level. He needs 30-50 games before we will see a high possession midfielder. Can't get those games under your belt while play in the seconds.

There seems to be a feeling that people pushing for Proud's selection expect him to get 30 touches and win games off his own boot. This is not the case, i just think you are better off giving games to talented players like Proud over others.

Fair enough. If he had played tomorrow I am not so sure that he would be winning the game for us. It would be for the experiance only. You have read why I think he is not selected and again we will have to agree to disagree as to his deserving a run. If we go under in the midfield I will not be blaming his non selection as the reason we lost. As I suggested that is too big a rap on a 2nd year player with only 3 games under his belt.

As I have said before I think his time will come one day and hopefully he is a champion for us.

Poorly worded on my part. In way was I trying to insinuate that if we lose that it was due to not selecting Proud, more that we look light on for mids, of course with the exceptions of Black, Power and Rischitelli.

I was more meaning that with the additional losses of Johnstone and Sherman, two quality genuine mids, that the selction of Stiller and Henderson was rather questionable and mind-boggling, that is all.

Would not though Stiller be in for Shermo and Hendo for Travis? Bearing in mind that Travis has played forward a fair bit for us so Hendo heads there. To my way of thinking that is a straight swap. With Albie being selected he is more an inside player whereas Sherman is a touch more outside so the selectors picked Stiller? Also Stiller is by nature a high possession player?

I was trying to make the point that with the additional losses of Johnstone and Sherman, two genuine quality mids, that the selction of Stiller and Henderson was rather questionable and mind-boggling considering our lack of midfield depth, that is all.

From last week our outs are Leuenberger, Roe, Johnstone and Sherman, and in comes Henderson, Collier, Rischitelli and Copeland. Would have thought the balance is pretty similar. I suspect they may have been tempted to play Proud against a good contested side like the Crows but presumably his lack of run outweighed his inside ability.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why can't Belgian interview someone on the selection panel so that we can sort this non selection issue out:D

Good debate fellas, i think we have in one corner the 'he needs time to develop theory and this is fair enough many top vfl players played 50-100 ressie games before becoming vfl stars.

On the other side we have the people who think that Proud is a better selection than other footballers in the team. Even though i can't get to the games atm i have been lucky to see quite a few ressie games on aflq and think that his improvement will be fast tracked by an extended run in the seniors.

Interesting debate, i don't think either argument is flawed! Got to love footy!

Had a nightmare first half, punctuated by a moment of terrible discipline. Got crunched in a good tackle and lost his head, started swinging at the bloke that did it, gave away a free kick that resulted in a goal. Right in front of Lethal and Hudson's eyes no less.

In the second half, he was nothing short of brilliant. Hard at it and made some line busting runs and inside 50s thats made his opponents look third rate. Would have won the game for Suncoast if the umpires didn't have money on Zillmere.

Syd Guildford Trophy

Round 13 votes: Suncoast Lions v Redland
5 Votes Albert Proud Suncoast Lions
4 Votes Cheynee Stiller Suncoast Lions
3 Votes Matt Austin Suncoast Lions
2 Votes Joel Tippett Suncoast Lions
1 Vote Michael Thompson Redland

LEADERS AFTER ROUND 13

Matt Payne (Zillmere) 24
Rohan Bail (Mt Gravatt) 24
David James (Southport) 21
Nathan Kinch (Morningside) 21
Rory Lake (Mt Gravatt) 21
Albert Proud (Suncoast) 19
Dayne Zorko (Broadbeach) 18
David Lillico (Morningside) 17
Andrew Scott (Mt Gravatt) 17
Kent Abey (Morningside) 16
Wade Dickson (Broadbeach) 16

AFLQ

Albert Proud continued his outstanding season with another big effort, winning plenty of hard-ball gets but using the football beautifully to the advantage of his forwards.

Albert Proud is a freak, can anyone tell me why he isnt getting a game for you blokes?

Does Leigh not like the kid, or is it more of a body development kind of thing? I watched him as a junior and I think he will be a special player.

Albert Proud is a freak, can anyone tell me why he isnt getting a game for you blokes?

Does Leigh not like the kid, or is it more of a body development kind of thing? I watched him as a junior and I think he will be a special player.

I guess because we have something like 40 of our 45 players listed as available, he might find it hard to crack into the senior squad. In saying that, the senior haven't been going as well as we'd like so I hope he gets a run this week.

yep it's his time. It feels right this week, he's gotta have confidence in spades coming off 5 goals. give him a run, and some bloody game time!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Past Albert Proud (2007-2011)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back