Past Albert Proud (2007-2011)

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Albert Proud

Only 45% TOG on Sat night - why would that be?

Will he hold his spot?

It's not a good sign is it? It must be either a fitness issue or a discipline issue, and his spot would have to be in question.

It's not a good sign is it? It must be either a fitness issue or a discipline issue, and his spot would have to be in question.

I think it was more the fact that Adcock has found his feet over the last 2 weeks etc, it just felt like he was squeezed out. He must still play, when he gets the ball he is daring and opportunity will allow for performance.

I think it is an endurance thing but I agree that he needs to play the last two games. The only reason I would drop/rest him is if we decide that we need to see some more of one of the other youngsters - eg Schmidt or Harding.

I'd agree with the fitness issue - watched him running off in the second quarter and while most of the guys could sprint off for their interchanges, Alby was struggling even getting there. And this was less than half way through a game. I think aerobic fitness is a legitimate concern for him and hopefully it's a key facet of his pre-season. His strong points are too good to be left back in the AFLQ and as a team I think we need his physicality (properly channeled of course). At the same time I don't think we can afford to be carrying a guy who stuggles to run out even half a game. when he gets it all right of course, will we have a weapon or what? :D

As it turned out you were kind of right seeing we're having a look at Hanley and Corrie's form for Suncoast was irresistible.

AFLQ

The Bombers did have one winner on the day, with teenager Matt Thomson doing a solid job against Grogan Medal prospect Albert Proud, who was surprisingly omitted from the seniors. Proud struggled to wield his usual influence against the dogged young Bomber.

AFLQ

Syd Guildford Trophy Top 11 Place Getters:

36: David James (Southport)
32: Matthew Payne (Zillmere)
31: Rohan Bail (Mt Gravatt)
26: David Lillico (Morningside)
26: Nathan Kinch (Morningside)
25: Rory Lake (Mt Gravatt)
24: Albert Proud (Suncoast Lions)
24: Scott Clouston (Suncoast Lions)
23: Wade Dickson (Broadbeach)
22: Jake Myles (Zillmere)
22: Tom Tarrant (Mt Gravatt)

Link

Proud showing in Grogan Medal
4:05 PM Tue 09 September, 2008

Determined midfielder Albert Proud has finished sixth in the Grogan Medal for the best player in the AFLQ Velocity Sports Cup State League competition.

It was an outstanding effort by the just-turned 20-year-old, who only failed to poll a vote in three games.

He caught the umpires’ attention on nine occasions - just one less than winner Nathan Kinch – to finish with 14 votes.

Proud played 12 times for the Suncoast and seven matches at AFL level with the Brisbane Lions.

Proud was within five votes of the leaders after polling six times in seven weeks, before a call-up to the seniors stopped his run.

Proud’s attack on the ball was first class in most of his Suncoast appearances and the biggest surprise was that he did not poll one three-vote, all coming in ones and predominantly twos.

Proud, Clouston and Bradd Dalziell were all included in the Velocity Sports Cup Team of the Year, announced at the AFLQ Awards Night at the Royal on the Park Hotel last night.

Proud was named the ruck-rover, Dalziell on a half-forward flank, and Clouston on the interchange.

AFLQ

Grogan Medal Top 11 Place Getters

25: Nathan Kinch (Morningside)
21: Matthew Payne (Zillmere)
21: Daniel Wise (Southport)
19: Rohan Bail (Mt Gravatt)
17: Dayne Zorko (Broadbeach)
14: Albert Proud (Suncoast)
9: Kent Abey (Morningside)
9: Scott Harding (Suncoast)
9: Austin Lucy (Zillmere)
9: Darren O’Brien (Southport)
9: Brett Sinclair (Southport)

I might be wrong but i think Proud is the sort of player Voss will love and want to take under his wing. Sand a few of his rough spots and we will be left with one gem of a player!

Link

THE Brisbane Lions have re-signed Albert Proud.

Patfull's manager Shane Casley, who also looks after Proud, said both players would be at the Lions next year.
"Albert Proud is done and dusted, Joel Patfull is 99 per cent there," Casley said.
Casley said Proud had overlooked overtures from Melbourne clubs for the chance to play under new coach Michael Voss and had sought a one-year deal, backing himself to earn a better contract next year by improved performances.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I might be wrong but i think Proud is the sort of player Voss will love and want to take under his wing. Sand a few of his rough spots and we will be left with one gem of a player!

I was thinking this exact same thing this morning when I read the Sun to find out he had re-signed.

I wish he had've signed a 2+ contract as he will be getting better $$$ next year after he has a ripper year improving under Vossy's tutelage. That way we'd have enough cash to spare to pay for all of the up and coming players out of contract next year.

How do you guys think he will go next year? Best 22 stuff? still need to work on endurance? cheers.

Needs a massive pre-season on the track. Once he gets some stamina, he is a starting 22 player easily.

2007 Review
Quigley's 2008 Review

2008 End of Season Review

Proud started the season with some blistering form in the preseason, and was one of the best players in all 4 games. There were queries on his fitness, but the form was too good to ignore and he soon got his chance in round 2.

Albert gave the side some grunt and impressed with his ability to get the hard ball. He was also lively with the ball in hand, using his instincts and playing on at every opportunity. But he was unable to adapt to the increased fitness requirements at the top level, finding it hard to get into positions to get the ball and having not much more than 50% game time.

After a few games he was demoted to Suncoast, where he proceeded to dominate. He could now get to contests which enabled him to demonstrate his talents. He was tough, he was creative and he was kicking goals. A string of consistent performances saw him quickly climb the rankings (despite missing 7 games with senior footy he was the Suncoast Lions' leading player finishing 6th in the Syd Guilford Trophy and 6th in the Grogan medal) but it wasn’t until round 18 that he got another chance in the seniors. Upon his return he had a career high 21 disposals and looked like he might have turned a corner, but he struggled to back it up in the following weeks.

Proud has the potential to be a boon for the side because he offers a lot of what we lack – hardness, the ability to win the ball and the ability to kick goals. But while his fitness has improved it is still substandard which is preventing him from utilising his assets. He also needs to find the right mix of aggression and finesse because he sometimes gives away unnecessary frees.

It will be interesting to see how Proud responds to Voss. They go about their footy in a similar fashion, and the new coach should be a good mentor to take Proud to the next level.

proudvl7.jpg

2di20pw.jpg

2008 End of Season Review

A very fair review- I've never been one to join the hype waggon this bloke attracts, and to me his fitness has been a fair way off the mark.

Nevertheless, I agree that aspects of his game give rise to the expectation we might have a prospective Bryron Pickett on our hands although without the motor, forget it.

Given the chance, he seemed to pick up the pace towards season end, and put in one or two very promising performances. He obviously has the ability, but we need much more of the same otherwise bang goes another career, wanting for more input.

Get him to partner Dalziell in training, I say. If he can keep up with him he'll keep up with anyone.

I've had concerns over Proud's work ethic in the past, but I've got to say, from this early stage in the pre-season he appears to have worked extremely hard.

He's an absolute ball of muscle at the moment, doesn't look to have an ounce of flab on him.

Could be an absolute wrecking ball in the midfield next year. Teach him to play like you Vossy.

I've had concerns over Proud's work ethic in the past, but I've got to say, from this early stage in the pre-season he appears to have worked extremely hard.

He's an absolute ball of muscle at the moment, doesn't look to have an ounce of flab on him.

Could be an absolute wrecking ball in the midfield next year. Teach him to play like you Vossy.

Got to agree there. At the training sessions I have attended Proud is certainly doing that bit extra and working one on one more with the assistant coaches than most of the other young players. Proud's looking pretty fit, an absolute monster of muscle!

Might have to drop a lazy 20 on him at those odds. It was interesting that he said in the paper the other day that he is running with all the top runners at the club and hopes Vossy will have more faith in his endurance running than what Leigh had.

Might have to drop a lazy 20 on him at those odds. It was interesting that he said in the paper the other day that he is running with all the top runners at the club and hopes Vossy will have more faith in his endurance running than what Leigh had.
It was an interesting little piece, wasn't it?

Firstly, it is great news if he has been keeping up with the elite runners of the club. I would never expect that of Albie - it shows that he has worked his arse off.

Secondly. I think Lethal was justified in not having faith in his endurance. Aerobically, he was pretty ordinary last year. Where Lethal may have erred is in determining whether 4x10 min bursts from Albie was more beneficial than 90% game time from the likes of Sherman, Selwood, Corrie etc. In my view, it was a line call but we may see the results of Lethal's hard love this season.

It was an interesting little piece, wasn't it?

Firstly, it is great news if he has been keeping up with the elite runners of the club. I would never expect that of Albie - it shows that he has worked his arse off.

Secondly. I think Lethal was justified in not having faith in his endurance. Aerobically, he was pretty ordinary last year. Where Lethal may have erred is in determining whether 4x10 min bursts from Albie was more beneficial than 90% game time from the likes of Sherman, Selwood, Corrie etc. In my view, it was a line call but we may see the results of Lethal's hard love this season.
Albert Proud is one of my favrite players and i expect him to play alot this year in the midfield albert proud,bradd dalziell and daniel rich is our future midfield YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

Remove this Banner Ad

Past Albert Proud (2007-2011)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back