Albums of 2010

Remove this Banner Ad

i hadn't intended buying strange tourist by garreth liddiard (of the drones fame) immediately. i just had this feeling that an album of 100% garreth would be very different to the drones - much more stripped back (not that the drones aren't already stripped back), much more of a focus on liddiard's lyricism.

i ended up tacking it onto another jb hifi order cos they were offering an autographed copy - i'm so glad i did. this album's great. my suspicions on what it would be like were almost 100% spot on - but its so not a bad thing. highly recommended to everyone.

where does it sit in my top 5 for the year? i think i'll have to have a few more listens to fully absorb it and decide. it certainly hasn't had the 'WOW' factor that Washington, A & J Stone, Cloud Control and the National had upon my first listen, but i still think this one is going to sit comfortably with those 4 as my top 5 for the year at this stage. (with apologies to julia stone, birds of tokyo, sally seltman, marina and the diamonds and laura marling... maybe my top 5 list will have to be a top 10 list this year)

Opinions on the new Sufjan Stevens album? It's really growing on me from an intial "WTF".

My WTF was a resonably positive WTF. Don't mind a slight change in direction.......not a banjo in sight on this one I believe. Only had one listen, the 25 minute closer is er interesting, with a plethora of genres explored in the single song.

My WTF was a resonably positive WTF. Don't mind a slight change in direction.......not a banjo in sight on this one I believe. Only had one listen, the 25 minute closer is er interesting, with a plethora of genres explored in the single song.

Same here. It was a fairly confronting listen first-up, but I'm wading through the bleeps and buzzes and the songs are coming out more and more. I'll admit I laughed at the autotune section in Impossible Soul! :D

Another revision

1. Arcade Fire - The Suburbs
2. Royal Wood - The Waiting
3. Emma McGann - Start the Show
4. Coheed & Cambria - Year of the Black Rainbow
5. Built On Secrets - Reflections
6. Washington - I Believe You Liar
7. Blood Red Shoes - Fire Like This
8. Hans Zimmer - Inception (OST)
9. Slash - Slash
10. Ozzy Osbourne - Scream

Honourable mentions: She & Him - Volume Two, American Dog - Mean, Stars - The Five Ghosts, Wolf Parade - Expo 86.

I'm also expecting Eric Claptons new album to earn itself a top 10 spot.

And now I've really started to ramp up listening to 2010 albums, it gets even harder.

1. Arcade Fire - The Suburbs
2. Eric Clapton - Clapton
3. Royal Wood - The Waiting
4. Black Country Communion - Black Country
5. Pinetop Perkins & Willie "Big Eyes" Smith - Joined at the Hip
6. Coheed & Cambria - Year of the Black Rainbow
7. Emma McGann - Start the Show
8. Sugar Blue - Threshold
9. Joe Bonamassa - Black Rock
10. Blood Red Shoes - Fire Like This

Honourable Mentions: Built on Secrets - Reflections, Slash - Slash, Hans Zimmer - Inception, Ozzy Osbourne - Scream, Willie Buck - The Life I Love, Eric Bibb - Booker's Guitar, American Dog - Mean, Stars - The Five Ghosts, Washington - I Believe You Liar, Tom Jones - Praise & Blame.

what are people's opinions on Joanna Newsom's album??

She has such an amazing voice and when she gets it right it's absolute beautiful to listen too.... but 18 tracks (14 over 6 minutes) and 2 hours, for me it gets a bit same-ish the way through and a tad tedious. i'd never heard her sing and i think i was sitting in awe for the first few tracks but then the second disc i found quite mundane..... she does bring it home strong towards the end.

best tracks for mine are easy, 81 and ribbon bows....

1. Damian Marley & Nas - Distant Relatives
2. Booka Shade - More!
3. The Gaslight Anthem - American Slang
4. Angus & Julia Stone - Down the Way
5. Brandon Flowers - Flamingo
6. Grum - Heartbeats
7. Two Door Cinema Club - Tourist History
8. Eminem - Recovery
9. Big Boi - Sir Lucious
10(a). Birds Of Tokyo - Birds Of Tokyo
10(b). Hot Chip - One Life Stand
10(c). The Roots - How I Got Over
10(d). Reflection Eternal (Talib Kweli, Hi-Tek) - Revolutions per Minute

Honourable Mentions
The Beautiful Girls - Spooks
LCD Soundsystem - This Is Happening
Klaxons - Surfing The Void
Taylor Hawkins & The Coattail Riders - Red Light Fever
Tame Impala - Innerspeaker
Kele - The Boxer
Washington - I Beleive You, Liar
The Chemical Brothers - Further
MGMT - Congratulations

Haven't listened to Midnight Juggernaughts or Crystal Castles new ones so could be some quality there.

Kid Cudi - Man On The Moon II: The Legend Of Mr. Rager goes straight to the top.

what are people's opinions on Joanna Newsom's album??

She has such an amazing voice and when she gets it right it's absolute beautiful to listen too.... but 18 tracks (14 over 6 minutes) and 2 hours, for me it gets a bit same-ish the way through and a tad tedious. i'd never heard her sing and i think i was sitting in awe for the first few tracks but then the second disc i found quite mundane..... she does bring it home strong towards the end.

best tracks for mine are easy, 81 and ribbon bows....
Have you listened to Ys? It's her best work.

Couldn't be stuffed listening the whole way through the new one yet, but I like those 3 songs. Good Intentions Paving is quality as well.

Kid Cudi - Man On The Moon II: The Legend Of Mr. Rager goes straight to the top.
It's very good. Much darker than his debut. Isn't nearly as high paced either. He really slows it down, which I prefer personally.

wigcd241.jpg

Hidden
- These New Puritans

Album of the Year according to NME. It's decent, but nowhere near as mindblowing as they've built it up to be. Coming in second was The Suburbs by Arcade Fire. My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy by Kanye West came in at a surprisingly low #34 :confused:

My Top 10 albums for the year (still got a ton of listening to catch up on):

1. American Slang - The Gaslight Anthem
  2. Crazy for You - Best Coast
  3. Fire Like This - Blood Red Shoes
  4. Down the Way - Angus & Julia Stone
  5. Diamond Eyes - Deftones
  6. My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy - Kanye West
  7. Omen - Soulfly
  8. High Violet - The National
  9. The Family Jewels - Marina and the Diamonds
  10. Treats - Sleigh Bells
Honorable mention - Dark Storm EP - The Jezabels
Technically not an album, so I couldn't really put it in there, but it's probably been my favourite release this year. Awesome live as well. Most exciting young band in Australia right now IMO. How Gypsy & the Cat could receive this year's Unearthed J Award over them (not that I put too much stock in these awards, but Triple J are major musical tastemakers for a lot of people and have a lot of sway in the Australian music scene) is an absolute puzzlement.

Remove this Banner Ad

Albums of 2010

Remove this Banner Ad

Back