Bombers_Forever

Brownlow Medallist
Veteran 10k Posts
May 9, 2003
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Seattle Mariners and Seahawks
There is a "Biggest Album Let down?" Thread, so what about the opposite? What albums did you buy, not expecting too much and were really impressed?

At The Drive-In - Relationship of Command. Wasn't expecting the best album I've ever heard.
In recent times Idiot Pilot's Strange we should meet here has blown my mind.

Frenzal - forever Malcolm Young - didnt know what to expect considering sans souci was fair ********, coming home was crap and Lex was long gone. However it was easily my favourite album of last year, very enjoyable.

Motor Ace - Animal (even with the mild hype, it was brilliant, brave...and ultimately destroyed them)
Darren Hayes - The Tension And The Spark (I didn't think I'd ever buy a Darren Hayes album after the Savage Garden split...but I did and I've never regretted it)
System Of A Down - Mezmerize (and then they ruined it all with Hypnotize)

That's the three that spring to mind initially...probably others as well...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Elton John - the Captain and the Kid. Really surprised at how many good songs were on the album

Daydream Nation by Sonic Youth. I thought that I would have trouble liking it because it isn't very mainsteam but it's an album that provides a unique listen for anyone who listens to all the big radio hits.

Endless Wire by The Who. Having half their band members dead and not having brought out an album for 24 years, I thought they might just try and recreate their old songs and end up with an album similarly dull to A Bigger Bang by the Rolling Stones. Far from it though, they took a step in another direction, putting more acoustic songs onto an album than I can ever remember from them and, while it's not their classic rock sound, at least they aren't trying to imitate themselves a la the Stones.

The Black Parade-My Chemical Romance.

I saw them live at the Green Day concert at the Dome and I was really impressed with their energy and showmanship on stage, but I wasn't really that impressed with their music. When the album came out I bought it in interest and it has since become probably one of my 5 favourite albums of all time.

American Idiot-Green Day

Loved their old stuff and I was scared that the new album would just be another rehashed Minority type load of the songs that would just make me wish they would stop. Instead, they redefined what alot of bands are doing with the music these days, with musical theatre becoming huge in rock music again.

The Goodbye Girl-Epicure

I knew nothing of them until I heard Life Sentence once on Triple J and my Health teacher told me to get into them. I did, and the album is one of the most thoughtful, easy listening albums I have ever heard. That voice just sticks in your head and you get lost in the music. Brilliant album.

The Drones. Wait long by the river....

Was not expecting such intense lyrics and sound and to tell the truth was expecting pop rock, so glad i was so wrong. Now one of my favourite bands.

The Herd. The Sun never sets.

Should've been listening to them earlier. Great political content, no bragging about bitches and ho's.

Zuma is an album that really impressed me upon first listen and still does. For Neil's Crazy Horse, forever known for their manic, erratic, eccentric, at times out of tune country/grungy rock, it is perhaps their finest effort with Neil Young although "Everybody Knows this is Nowhere" is probably their best, other than their earlier live performances.

"Dangerbird" "Cortez the Killer" "Barstool Blues" some of my faves.

Remove this Banner Ad

Albums that really impressed you

Remove this Banner Ad

Back