Trade Requested Alex Neal-Bullen - Wants to become a Crow

Remove this Banner Ad

Who's better? Ben Keays or Neal Bullen?
I don't know Alex Neal-Bullen as well as Melbourne supporters would and it sounds like I underrate him somewhat. That being said, I am very confident that Ben Keays is the superior player based on his 2023-24 form. I have never rated Keays highly but this year he was very good and should be a lock in the top 5 of the best and fairest. I wouldn't have been surprised to see him make the AA squad this year.

Much like the Baker trade I am not sure what the attraction is to the Crows. Just because you are an interstate club and a player wants to come home doesn't mean you have to take them.

ANB is a nice, soon to be 29yr old, who averages under 20 possessions a game. He is the type of honest plodder the Crows seem to have plenty of. Giving up a second rounder for a 29yr old when your team is a few year from genuinely contending is crazy.

Go to the draft or trade for under 24s
I agree 100%. He improves Adelaide's squad but I'm not convinced he is in the best 22. He does seem like the type of player who would be rated high by coaches than supporters though.

It all comes down to price. I would probably take him for free. I wouldn't trade a pick below 30 for him. I guess that means his value (to me) is somewhere in between.

Who's better? Ben Keays or Neal Bullen?
I think a better question is who is better ANB or Murphy?

I will certainly be putting all my eggs into one basket there

Much like the Baker trade I am not sure what the attraction is to the Crows. Just because you are an interstate club and a player wants to come home doesn't mean you have to take them.

ANB is a nice, soon to be 29yr old, who averages under 20 possessions a game. He is the type of honest plodder the Crows seem to have plenty of. Giving up a second rounder for a 29yr old when your team is a few year from genuinely contending is crazy.

Go to the draft or trade for under 24s
Again man who doesn't understand football.

ANB isn’t going to come in and be the match winner. But he’ll play the hard running half forward role. Can go into the middle and can tag. Not sure what crows plans are but I thought they offered him 4 years. So I’d be surprised if it’s not a second.
He’ll be great with his leadership and work rate on and off the field also.

Well when you put it like that you have just about changed my mind but maybe you could a bit More detail on why you think I am wrong.

ANB is a B grader. Crows have plenty of B graders. Not sure how it is more than a minor improvement to the list.
As Dez! So elegantly put it: ABN may only be a minor improvement to the list, but as long as the trade price paid reflects that, I guess it is fine for Adelaide.

I would be surprised if ABN is in Adelaide's best 22 next year. I would be equally surprised if Adelaide gave up a second round draft pick for him. There is nothing wrong with a late pick for 4 years of minor improvement to the list.

As Dez! So elegantly put it: ABN may only be a minor improvement to the list, but as long as the trade price paid reflects that, I guess it is fine for Adelaide.

I would be surprised if ABN is in Adelaide's best 22 next year. I would be equally surprised if Adelaide gave up a second round draft pick for him. There is nothing wrong with a late pick for 4 years of minor improvement to the list.
Sure give a pick well after 40 to strengthen the list but pick 25 is not going to build a top 4 list.

Neal Bullen has an AFL Player rating of 11.38, which was #10 in Mid Forwards/Med Forward behind Rankin, Mannagh, Moore, Stengle, Daniels, Miers, Pickett, Horne-Francis and Baker. In those categories, he is ahead of Bolton, Parker, Simkin, Bailey, Rayer, Papley, Switkowski, Greene and Keays.

The rating is #103 in the AFL.

Neal Bullen has an AFL Player rating of 11.38, which was #10 in Mid Forwards/Med Forward behind Rankin, Mannagh, Moore, Stengle, Daniels, Miers, Pickett, Horne-Francis and Baker. In those categories, he is ahead of Bolton, Parker, Simkin, Bailey, Rayer, Papley, Switkowski, Greene and Keays.

i rate him very highly; it's probably my mfc bias, but the role he plays is absolutely vital for a side that wants to transition from good to great

it's like kane lambert during the tigs' glory days - anb will allow petracca (or, for the crom, dawson) to push forward and be a weapon in the front half of the ground without the side losing shape because he works so hard to create the run and space required from half-back to half-forward

i think he'll be a terrific pick-up for adelaide and will allow dawson to be a real weapon in 2025

Clearly not good enough for the Crows best 22 then. :rolleyes:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

if crows fans rate McAdam then Neal-Bullen is 10 times better. Damn, we got sold a lemon.
He isn't but Melbourne were desperate for fire power so took the risk as you were expected to finish top 4 and trade away your future pick which Collingwood also learnt their lesson this year, most was expecting pick 34-36 or at most pick 30 when the trade was done last year. We didn't chase ANB, he want to return to SA and we were willing to accommodate this (if Melbourne was paying his entire contract then I can see a 2 rounder otherwise why would you, would you offer this if the situation was reverse?? NO).

Last edited:
if crows fans rate McAdam then Neal-Bullen is 10 times better. Damn, we got sold a lemon.
You destroyed him. These are two very different circumstances.
Shane was one year younger, and played a position you really needed to give you the best chance of another flag.
ANB won't be playing in a premiership with the Crows, and wants to come for family reasons, and I don't think your club is too sad to lose him. Not because he isn't a decent player, but because he is replaceable, and at the end of his career.
He's not worth a high end second rounder, but a third or late second would be around the price.
He isn't a game winner, he isn't the missing peice of the puzzle for us, and is going to be a good B grader for the next two or three years. Why would we give up pick 24, which we could use to grab one of the best Ruck prospects from SA this year, which we really need?

Are crows giving ANB 4 years?
I would be fine with this fwiw (assuming it’s two more years, until 2028)

Feels like ANB will be the type to keep training hard, and won’t see a huge sudden drop-off in form as soon as he hits his 30’s (doesn’t totally rely on athleticism)

He isn't but Melbourne were desperate for fire power so took the risk as you were expected to finish top 4 and trade away your future pick which Collingwood also learnt their lesson this year, most was expecting pick 34-36 or at most pick 30 when the trade was done last year. We didn't chase ANB, he want to return to SA and we were willing to accommodate this (if Melbourne was paying his entire contract then I can see a 2 rounder otherwise why would you, would you offer this if the situation was reverse?? NO).
Pick 25 is marginally overs. Pick 30 is about right. But considering you only have pick 25, then that's what will be traded. Pick 40 odd won't cut it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Trade Requested Alex Neal-Bullen - Wants to become a Crow

Remove this Banner Ad

Back