Past Alex Silvagni

Remove this Banner Ad

The Carlton connection is a positive, if anything.

We're bringing in players who are at very least invested in the club (J. Silvagni, Marchbank, Kerr, A. Silvagni), and have that extra impetus to perform.

how much of this is SOS looking after his own family and how much of it within the best interests of the CLUB?!

Oh please really? Alex Silvagni is going to hold the club back? As a rookie listed player? Meaning he is the one behind a lot of players in getting a crack at senior selection.

He is a mature head in a very young and raw Northern Blues defense. Player/Coach, its a need we didn't have the means to fill.

If you watch his form in the last 6 weeks of the season + only 1 goal being kicked against him in the 4 weeks of WAFL finals on the way to leading an unbreakable defense for Peel then you will realise why he was picked up, Freo would have kept him if Hamling didn't come our way.

Will be a great recruit whether it is the in the VFL or AFL, helped Collins and Nyhuis develop this year in the WAFL and then played a great role in the AFL side.

Not a bad pick. Need to realise it's pick 23 of the rookie draft, it's not exactly a place chock full of remarkable talent.

He'll be some senior depth, may get a game or two depending on injuries. Will probably help out with the Northern Blues a fair bit

Alex SILVAGNI (Peel Thunder)
2016 WAFL
Totals

• 9 games
  • 0 goals
  • 0 behinds
  • 5 times in the best players list
Averages
  • 8.0 kicks
  • 3.6 handballs
  • 11.6 disposals
  • 6.0 marks
  • 2.0 tackles
  • 0.2 hitouts
  • 0.6 inside 50s
  • 1.6 rebound 50s
  • 1.2 frees for
  • 0.8 frees against
  • 56.22 DT points

tLJW6Ed.png

Not a bad pick. Need to realise it's pick 23 of the rookie draft, it's not exactly a place chock full of remarkable talent.

He'll be some senior depth, may get a game or two depending on injuries. Will probably help out with the Northern Blues a fair bit

Fair points, all of them.
Provides some cover if Rowe and/or White are injured.

He is good enough to be on an afl list.

But still a bit confused by the selection. I guess a couple of years of extra senior protection/backup doesn't hurt while our plethora young KPPs are allowed to develop.

I thought the Cam Wood recruitment was sheer madness and he played solid football last year. More than most rookies will play. And I'd put Silvagni a couple of levels above Wood in terms of ability and being 'ready to go'.

#not100%convincedbutIkindagetit

Was he really the best we could do in the rookie draft?
At that pick, for a senior KPD with AFL experience? Yeah.

Youth wise, it was just mostly rucks and inside mids, and yet more small forwards.

And he was among the best, if it helps, in Peel's (WAFL) winning final series. Dominated his opponents at times. Injuries just hampered his time at Freo, would play 4-5 games then gets an injury for 3-4 weeks.
This what worries me about him: he's supposed to be senior injury insurance, and yet he's the biggest liability in this regard.

I dont think he even got picked up in the rookie draft?

Seems like no club rates him and there has to be a good reason for it.
Brayshaw? Could be anything honestly, remember that the AFL community are not the exactly Nobel candidates, so no point trying to overthink their reasons. A year in the VFL showing people he's got ability and I'm sure he'll go in the national draft next year (unless it's a medical issue).

He is good enough to be on an afl list.

But still a bit confused by the selection. I guess a couple of years of extra senior protection/backup doesn't hurt while our plethora young KPPs are allowed to develop.

I thought the Cam Wood recruitment was sheer madness and he played solid football last year. More than most rookies will play. And I'd put Silvagni a couple of levels above Wood in terms of ability and being 'ready to go'.

#not100%convincedbutIkindagetit

Alex Silvagni can seriously play...has had some great games for Freo.

Unfortunately injury has curtailed him and now Freo are going down a youth path, discarding him along with Barlow, Mzungu and De Boer...who imo are all good enough to play AFL and this was proven since they all got picked up by other clubs.

Brayshaw? Could be anything honestly, remember that the AFL community are not the exactly Nobel candidates, so no point trying to overthink their reasons. A year in the VFL showing people he's got ability and I'm sure he'll go in the national draft next year (unless it's a medical issue).

I was referring to Jonty Scharenberg, but same applies to Brayshaw i guess.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe the plan is to start Rowe forward, after all he did start as a forward/ruck that we converted to a Backman.

At least that would put pressure on Casbolt as a direct replacement.

Dave Kernahan and Cameron Croad penning letters of congratulations :rolleyes:

I get why we took him, just would have taken a punt on a kid....then again I have no discipline on the punt.....

The only rationale behind this pick I can see is that he is goods mates with Fyfe and will make his transition a lot easier next year.
Was considering the possibility.
Make no mistake, is a decent footballer on the wrong side of R.Lyon bias.

Conceivable that we are going to offload some "senior" players by this time next year. Clearly preparing
for a massive free agency/trade scenario. (read Rowe, White, Jaksch, Jones, Casboult, Thomas all average
wage or better)

Feel we are going to be very young, with some cheap senior coverage.

Maybe the plan is to start Rowe forward, after all he did start as a forward/ruck that we converted to a Backman.

At least that would put pressure on Casbolt as a direct replacement.

This is my preferred outcome. Rowe is a good kick for goal at least.

I'd rather casboult and Jones not be in the senior team if possible

Remove this Banner Ad

Past Alex Silvagni

Remove this Banner Ad

Back