Past Alex Silvagni

Remove this Banner Ad

Where were the Bulldogs 18Mths ago??

Anything can happen in the AFL.

I'm not sure l would be planning for absolute best case scenario. Bulldogs played finals in 2015. Unlikely Carlton does next year. Doubt Silvagni will see finals action soon.

Anyway l do see him as a more reliable player than white.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hopefully he can harden up the NBs defence, we've added a lot of young talent but the 2nds will get flogged if it's a bunch of teenagers running around every week. Worst case scenario, Rowe goes down and we play Alex as the old head in the backline.

What a surprising pick from Carlton but not a terrible pick. If Silvagni is playing his best footy he is a chance to replace White in the backline. I really like White as a footballer but his injuries have reduced his pace in a game that is constantly getting faster.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

This may be more a Bolton selection than a SOS selection....

From a coach's point of view, this is what the thinking may be...

We're building a talented young backline that will help us win our next premiership. Marchbank, Weitering, Plowman, Doc, Byrne, possibly Macreadie... These guys will play together for ten years and develop into an elite defensive unit...

Now, should one of these guys get injured or find themselves out of the side for any reason, Alex comes in as cover. He's good enough and versatile enough to cover any one of the those guys. But, at his age, it's understood and everyone knows its temporary, a stopgap, until the missing player returns...

Minimal disruption, no confusion about roles or position in the side and the side isn't compromised... That's how I'd play it.

I really feel in 12 months we'll be asking why we didn't take someone like Sam Walker here instead of a depth mid-size/tall defender. It doesn't make sense to draft Weitering & Macreadie, trade for Marchbank and Plowman and then bring in a guy like Alex - if it was a bigger frame like Rowe, then I'd get it - Alex seems like a very uninspiring finish to what was a pretty good offseason.
Pretty obvious SV, we would've exceeded our Samuel Cap.

Not a huge fan of this selection but at pick 23 in the rookie draft you can't have too many complaints. This is a very safe pick.

Silvagni could prove a very good addition to the Northern Blues and has shown himself to be a capable player should he be required at AFL level.

We have plenty of depth now in the key defensive posts but most are young and inexperienced so I do see the rationale behind bringing in some proven experience as backup.

It sure does. :p

Cousin Of SOS!

'Cos' in Hebrew = cup.

Connect the dots and you'll see Alex is the key to our next premiership side. :drunk:

Ross Lyon is like that with a serious chip on his shoulder regarding who he plays and does not etc.

Zac Dawson is a favourite of his and say no more really.

I would not take anything out of the fact Alex and Ross fell out leading to his delisting as Lyon is very fickle.

Many moons before MM came to carlton , I heard the same about Mick. Players form the bulldogs and the Pies all said the same thing

Maybe the plan is to start Rowe forward, after all he did start as a forward/ruck that we converted to a Backman.

At least that would put pressure on Casbolt as a direct replacement.
Rowe forward we'll sink without a trace.

Not a huge fan of this selection but at pick 23 in the rookie draft you can't have too many complaints. This is a very safe pick.

Silvagni could prove a very good addition to the Northern Blues and has shown himself to be a capable player should he be required at AFL level.

We have plenty of depth now in the key defensive posts but most are young and inexperienced so I do see the rationale behind bringing in some proven experience as backup.

'Cos' in Hebrew = cup.

Connect the dots and you'll see Alex is the key to our next premiership side. :drunk:

We are always talking about having someone to show the way in the seniors- why not apply the same rationale for the NB's?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This may be more a Bolton selection than a SOS selection....

From a coach's point of view, this is what the thinking may be...

We're building a talented young backline that will help us win our next premiership. Marchbank, Weitering, Plowman, Doc, Byrne, possibly Macreadie... These guys will play together for ten years and develop into an elite defensive unit...

Now, should one of these guys get injured or find themselves out of the side for any reason, Alex comes in as cover. He's good enough and versatile enough to cover any one of the those guys. But, at his age, it's understood and everyone knows its temporary, a stopgap, until the missing player returns...

Minimal disruption, no confusion about roles or position in the side and the side isn't compromised... That's how I'd play it.

Yep agree.

No world beater, can play consistent solid footy at NB and be relied to play a role when called up for the ones.

Now, should one of these guys get injured or find themselves out of the side for any reason, Alex comes in as cover. He's good enough and versatile enough to cover any one of the those guys.
Silvagni is versatile enough to cover for Plowman, Doc or Byrne? Wouldn't have thought so. Plays deep on the last line of defence only, not a creative player in the slightest.

Silvagni is versatile enough to cover for Plowman, Doc or Byrne? Wouldn't have thought so. Plays deep on the last line of defence only, not a creative player in the slightest.
No one is asking or expecting him to "be" Plowman, Doc or Byrne... But he can hold down that spot in the backline until they return. He rarely gets beaten by his opponents, and it's understood he goes straight out when the missing player comes back...

It's not about like for like. It's about stability when one of the key backline players can't be there...

No one is asking or expecting him to "be" Plowman, Doc or Byrne... But he can hold down that spot in the backline until they return. He rarely gets beaten by his opponents, and it's understood he goes straight out when the missing player comes back...

It's not about like for like. It's about stability when one of the key backline players can't be there...
Okay, I just think it's strange that you would equate replacing a running player with a stay at home fullback as 'covering for them'.

You guys will never have to draft a KPD for half a decade now
Well it makes a nice change from forming a human pyramid in our backline to compensate for bugger all that we've had in the past..

Okay, I just think it's strange that you would equate replacing a running player with a stay at home fullback as 'covering for them'.
I definitely see your point. But I don't think he's a typical stay at home fullback.
He played in a Freo side, that at their best, played a team defense that had no real set positions...

And bottom line is, I'm just spitballing, but I think he can play a role when needed and will be content to do so...

Remove this Banner Ad

Past Alex Silvagni

Remove this Banner Ad

Back