Backfire alistair clarkson " we believe we can get 3 premierships out of this group"

Remove this Banner Ad

Sensible post. Minor correction: Mumford was not offered anywhere near that money in his first contract. His next contract sure, and he would deserve it, he's now a very, very good ruckman.

Your points on Hawforn are worthy of discussion.

well you venture anywhere that the discussion is centred around most hated or disliked club and hawthorn always is right up there and its for a reason

they are dillusional and have no sense of reality when it comes to football, they cant see anything for what it really is

i think what really started a lot of it... well it was like that before 08 even but it has definitely gotten worse since 08, what i believe happened to make them turn really dillusional and in a constant sulk is that when they won the 08 grand final they thought " here is the biggest thing in the history of the game coming, the young invinciple hawks are going to dominate the AFL for half a decade to come and take out everything we are high and mighty" and nothing ever happened after that, they failed to win a single thing more and it frustrates and kills them. this great dominant era they believed they had really turned out to be nothing more than a premiership someone else gifted them, nothing more and nothing less, and hence the non stop dillusion and dribble

and on mumford, i believe he came out and said that if geelong had picked him to play in the grand final he would have stayed, given the state of our list at the time a lot of senior players had taken big pay cuts to keep everyone on board and we are talking AA quality players sacrificing finances for this, we had a very tight cap and it was always going to be hard to keep everyone on the list we wanted, if we were a lesser team at the time without some of the stars we had mumford would probably still be a cat, but anyone begrudging him for leaving is being silly

Drafting is different to picking up players that can't get many games at their current clubs. Is this player you refer to a draft pick or someone that sat watching others play while picking splinters out of his arse, with his previous AFL team?

His name is Mitch Duncan, who we got with pick 28 from Sydney (for Mumford). And no he wasn't sitting down watching others play. He also wasn't even at a previous club. So you've got that one 100% wrong.

Contributed fairly well Grand Final day. And will be doing so for a long long time for us.

Sensible post. Minor correction: Mumford was not offered anywhere near that money in his first contract. His next contract sure, and he would deserve it, he's now a very, very good ruckman.

He was offered a lot though, far more than he could or should have got at Geelong at the time. I was at the Geelong Best and Fairest and he was freely admitting he would have loved to stay at Geelong, but he just couldn't refuse the money being offered. And no one I spoke to - players, coaches, officials - begrudged him that at all. There was nothing but good will towards him. And vice versa from him to the club.

And this is why a few of us get annoyed now. Because his whole statement about staying if he'd been picked for the Grand Final - was only uttered after he left. He didn't say it to the club at the time. And his form towards the end of 2009 was horrible (understandable too - he'd hit the wall). So no Geelong supporters mind that he left, no one minds he took the money, that's absolutely his right. What we mind is the re-writing of history to suggest he was anywhere near Geelong's best 22 in September 2009. Because he wasn't.

There was no indication at that point that Blake would be gone in 12 months, except that he was a spud even then.

Mumford already is an integral member of a team. He played very well in the GF too, given he pulled his hammy before the game. But don't let that get in the way of your bitterness toward him.

No he didn't. You're the one letting emotion cloud judgement now (which you normally don't do).

It might have been valiant to play injured; but he was pretty ordinary. Pyke was far better, and neither of your ruckmen came close to Hale.

Edit: Actual stats for the 4 ruckmen Grand Final day:

David Hale: 12 possessions, 3 marks, 2 goals 2 behinds, 30 hitouts
Jarryd Roughead: 14 possessions, 3 marks, 0 goals 3 behinds, 18 hitouts
Mike Pyke: 16 possessions, 6 marks, 0 goals 0 behinds, 29 hitouts
Shane Mumford: 6 possessions, 2 marks, 0 goals 0 behinds, 14 hitouts

Point out to me again where he played very well???

Drafting is different to picking up players that can't get many games at their current clubs. Is this player you refer to a draft pick or someone that sat watching others play while picking splinters out of his arse, with his previous AFL team?
?
His name is Mitch Duncan, who we got with pick 28 from Sydney (for Mumford). And no he wasn't sitting down watching others play. He also wasn't even at a previous club. So you've got that one 100% wrong.
Contributed fairly well Grand Final day. And will be doing so for a long long time for us.
!00% wrong? He wasn't sitting down watching others play? He also wasn't even at a previous club?
h8721C72E

Oh please! You really need to familiarise your self with the term ''rhetorical question''.

I'm 100% wrong? What a shmuck! You really need to be tutored by a brighter cat. Maybe GeelongCrazy's can dedicate some of his time to teaching you some basics. Maybe, and only maybe then you will be able to grasp such basic nuances.

No, Im saying that had he waited, 12 months later Blake was gone and he would have been elevated to 1st ruck, he would have wan a premiership 12 months earlier, as an integral member of a team.
Is this you per chance?

You mean the guy the Hawks picked up for nothing?
Exactly.
A scrap heap pick up almost lauded as the second coming of Platten or Matthews (scratch that - he could probably show Lethal a thing or two) from **** flogs desperate for any good news at the moment.
So much so they'll even try to troll Geelong over it.
Funny how they have nothing to say to Swans supporters on the same subject.
Gotta larf... :D:thumbsu:

BTW, how do you think your Blooz will go this year after the disaster that was the NAB capitulation to Brisbane?

?

Is this you per chance?

Nope, cant say it is. But in the same context, how was mummy to know that Sydney would play in a GF, you would think with the dominance of Geelong through the period he would have been better off where he was.

I don't begrudge Mummy for taking the cash, I know I probably would have in the same situation as rookie. I was telling my mates as he received his medal how happy I was for him and what a good story he has been for everyone in a country league that has a dream to pay AFL.

Stopped reading after I saw Sydney and Geelong posters sucking each others dicks.

Pathetic. You deserve each other.

Un-subscribed. :thumbsdown:
So which one of our dicks were you hoping to suck? I hear you work the lot as a 3 piece set. Balls & all.

inb4udoanaltarboyflognbringmumsintoit unless you choke on it of course

Nope, cant say it is. But in the same context,1. how was mummy to know that Sydney would play in a GF, you would think with the dominance of Geelong through the period he would have been better off where he was.

I don't begrudge Mummy for taking the cash, I know I probably would have in the same situation as rookie. 2. was telling my mates as he received his medal how happy I was for him and what a good story he has been for everyone in a country league that has a dream to pay AFL.
1. He knew he was going to be the master of his own destiny if he made the most of the chance the Bloods guaranteed him. Impossible to play in a granny if you sit on the bench all the time & are not given a shot at the big time. You do realise I'm not crapping on the Cats for being failures as a result of the decision? No one needs me to state how well they have done over the past 6 years. But Mummy is just more living proof of how well the Bloods have done by picking up fringe/discard players. However, the list is long & the Whoreks have failed for it. Cue Josh Kennedy & Benny McGlynn!

2.So it worked out well for everyone. That's awesome.

1. He knew he was going to be the master of his own destiny if he made the most of the chance the Bloods guaranteed him. Impossible to play in a granny if you sit on the bench all the time & are not given a shot at the big time.

He was given a shot, played plenty of games that year, was stuffed by the time the final scame around. Not the Cats' fault.

1. He knew he was going to be the master of his own destiny if he made the most of the chance the Bloods guaranteed him. Impossible to play in a granny if you sit on the bench all the time & are not given a shot at the big time. You do realise I'm not crapping on the Cats for being failures as a result of the decision? No one needs me to state how well they have done over the past 6 years. But Mummy is just more living proof of how well the Bloods have done by picking up fringe/discard players. However, the list is long & the Whoreks have failed for it. Cue Josh Kennedy & Benny McGlynn!

2.So it worked out well for everyone. That's awesome.

Couldn't agree more. He was exactly what Sydney needed at the time and it's worked out great for both club and player. Geelong got an extra pick and nabbed Mitch Duncan and that's worked out great for club and player. As you said in point 2, it's a very rare, genuine win-win for both sides.

Exactly.
A scrap heap pick up almost lauded as the second coming of Platten

I haven't seen anyone compare him to John Platten, so I'm guessing this is just a hysterical overreaction to Hawk fans simply rating him. I myself think he'll be a handy depth player, and nothing but a replacement for Whitecross in 2013.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He was given a shot, played plenty of games that year, was stuffed by the time the final scame around. Not the Cats' fault.
No doubt. I'm not faulting Geelong, just admiring my boys for having the nouse to pick him up. We must remember, that if I praise our boys for picking a disillusioned Mummy up & turning him into a core premiership player, it does NOT mean that I am automatically denigrating the Cats. The Cats have proven to be able to get the most outta their players en masse. Just not Mummy on this occasion. That's all. Without Mummy, we would never have even made the granny.

Newbloke has come out and said the hawks next 5 year plan is a top 4 finish every year. Lol.

Not game to demand a flag (smart) but truly deluded if he thinks they can deliver on that.

Newbloke has come out and said the hawks next 5 year plan is a top 4 finish every year. Lol..

Top 4 is the only thing you can plan for. A premiership needs luck.

I think continual top 4 finishes is a good goal, and Hawthorn's drafting has been good enough that we can employ a rolling premiership window.

No he didn't. You're the one letting emotion cloud judgement now (which you normally don't do).

It might have been valiant to play injured; but he was pretty ordinary. Pyke was far better, and neither of your ruckmen came close to Hale.

Edit: Actual stats for the 4 ruckmen Grand Final day:

David Hale: 12 possessions, 3 marks, 2 goals 2 behinds, 30 hitouts
Jarryd Roughead: 14 possessions, 3 marks, 0 goals 3 behinds, 18 hitouts
Mike Pyke: 16 possessions, 6 marks, 0 goals 0 behinds, 29 hitouts
Shane Mumford: 6 possessions, 2 marks, 0 goals 0 behinds, 14 hitouts

Point out to me again where he played very well???
Agreed, Pyke had a great game, much better than Mumford's.

I guess I have a problem with people saying he had a bad game when he played with an injury suffered only 30 min before the game started. But yeah, fair enough emotion probably gets in the way of my judgement on this one, it's hard not to. He certainly gave everything he could given the injury, which is fine by me. I was actually just watching it (again) last night and noticed that he didn't figure much after quarter time...

Top 4 is the only thing you can plan for. A premiership needs luck.

I think continual top 4 finishes is a good goal, and Hawthorn's drafting has been good enough that we can employ a rolling premiership window.

No winning a premiership takes heart, which the Cawks were significantly lacking in last year despite riding an amazing run of luck into the GF.

As for a rolling window, the hawks are going to roll right out of the top 4 this year. Sustained success just is t in their DNA. Witness 2009.

Stopped reading after I saw Sydney and Geelong posters sucking each others dicks.

Pathetic. You deserve each other.

Un-subscribed. :thumbsdown:
nah simply just two premiership teams that have mutual respect for one another, its not my problem hawthorn cant do anything redpectable, they even make winning a premiership cup look degrading lol. geelong and sydney both have a level of resecr around the afl that clowns at hawthorn could simply never get. just look at every most hated clun discusion oiut there carltpn collingwood are up there because they are the biggest and most successful, why is hawthorn always up there? because they are the afl buffoons ahaha

i dont keep a copy of that episode of on the couch from 2010 lol. it was just a fairly basic quote to remember.

I wouldn't trust you to remember your own name, let alone a quote from 3 years ago. I'll assume it's bullshit like the rest of your threads until shown otherwise.

No winning a premiership takes heart

Take that schmultz to hollywood, in reality a premiership requires a few ingredients, and one of them is luck.

As for a rolling window, the hawks are going to roll right out of the top 4 this year. .

One year out of the top 4 wouldnt deny the rolling window.

Based on what?

You must be very worried about Geelong's future then. Bartel (29), Johnson (29), Chapman (31), Kelly (29), Enright (31), Corey (31)

Then who are you banking on? Smedts? Caddy? LOL

Hodge is 28, btw.

That is very honestly the worst ''assessment'' of our youth that I've seen. Boumann isn't even on our list anymore.

Schoenmakers, Shiels, Savage, Breust, Whitecross, Smith, Rioli, Hill, Anderson, O'Brien, Gunston, Stratton are some of the names that will be responsible for us remaining a top 4 side for many years to come.

It's also quite remarkable how we've managed to recruit such talent when we've given up so many first round picks for Gibson, Hale, Burgoyne and Lake.

Gibson, Burgoyne and Hale have been enormous for us, and Lake's been the best key defender in the game since SOS.

Our recruiting and list management has been frighteningly good. Our window's open for the next 3-4 years at least.

Geelong's future, on the other hand, is a serious concern.

2013 really is your last chance before another four and a half decade drought.

Why do you lot continually include Rioli in your youth assessment?

This will be his 6th year in the system at your club and I think we saw the best of him in his first year of '08. It's like listening to North supporters for however many years go on about Daniel Wells.

Rioli, whether or not the weight of expectations has got to him after that carefree first season, or whether he has the stomach for the hard physical slog to be the best, will be reduced to a 10 minutes per season highlights package and nothing more.

Remove this Banner Ad

Backfire alistair clarkson " we believe we can get 3 premierships out of this group"

Remove this Banner Ad

Back