Richo- true champion

Senior List
Nov 3, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
This is his second pre seaon he has done with Richmond (the last one was at the end of the 2003 season)

he must be a strong chance to be listed (probs rookie) if we are still inviting him down to train with us after passing him up the last 2 years....

Hawthorn also asked him to train with them.

He had an awesome year with Box Hill- won best first year player for the seniors and was in the best regularly in the second half of the season

also came runner up in the reserves b&F after only playing the first 8 games

pretty good year i would have thought.

thoughts anyone?

Quality player and bloke. Unlucky to get drafted the first time and then went and played Ammos with mates.

Accumulator. 187cm, 83kg.

Should be rookied, but even if he isn't he will probably play at Coburg with Collins.

Good junior footballer but one of those players caught without a position at AFL level. In junior footy he tended to play as a rebounding, back-pocket but he is sort of Chaffey-paced and so while he does OK in the role it is a bit of a luxury having him there. Going to midfield he never quite got enough of the footy. He doesn't have the height to be a key defender.

I really don't think he has the ability to play at the AFL tempo, I think VFL is his level. Reminds me a little of Ezra Poyas. Talented enough, very good VFL player, but not AFL role for him.

Agree that VFL is probably his level mate. Going on this year, he is probably the most likely BH player to get a gig, but shouldn't be more than a rookie. He tended to play midfield/wing/backflank.

Regardless, looks like he'll be at Coburg given he took your pre-season over ours.

Good luck to him.

mattyc2422 said:
Agree that VFL is probably his level mate. Going on this year, he is probably the most likely BH player to get a gig, but shouldn't be more than a rookie. He tended to play midfield/wing/backflank.

Regardless, looks like he'll be at Coburg given he took your pre-season over ours.

Career wise it is probably a good move. Hawthorn have a lot of kids and are pretty well stocked for guys like him. His chances of getting a game with Hodge, Smith and co around are pretty slim. Even a guy like Brennan wants to play in his spot.

Richmond does have more vacancies through the backline. He'd really only have to fight off Jackson, Hartigan and Thursfield at this stage which will be more acheivable than trying to get into the Hawthorn 22.

That said I think Richmond's mantra is run-run-run and our team will get quicker and quicker and I can't see Neville catching the eye of Wallace over preseason.

mattyc2422 said:
BTW Weav et al, Cam Howat has followed Collins to do a pre-season at Richmond too. Good kid.

Remember Howat at Oakleigh. Was a good player in his second season but didn't quite do enough. Now Neville is the better player, but Howat might have more chance with the Richmond system. I remember him more as a winger / flanker with a bit of dash about him. Both guys would walk straight into the Coburg side at least.

Alastair-Neville.jpg

First Name Alister
Last Name NEVILLE
Date of Birth 17/08/85
Height 187
Weight 83
Previous Clubs Old Trinity/Oakleigh Chargers

Weaver said:
Remember Howat at Oakleigh. Was a good player in his second season but didn't quite do enough. Now Neville is the better player, but Howat might have more chance with the Richmond system. I remember him more as a winger / flanker with a bit of dash about him. Both guys would walk straight into the Coburg side at least.
Yeah, he's spent two years at Box Hill and had a terrific 2nd half of the season. Uses the ball well. Both would definitely fit into the Coburg team, and will 90% be playing there if not rookied by Richmond.

Neville is the better player, and probably more suited for AFL than Howat.

Correct. Neither can cope with the responsibility of being a BP as they need the ball to function.

Weaver, just wondering your thoughts about Lachlan McKinnon. He's doing a preseason at Hawthorn. Josh Houlihan is too, which suprised me a bit. Quality VFL player but...he's a Houlihan..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

mattyc2422 said:
Weaver, just wondering your thoughts about Lachlan McKinnon. He's doing a preseason at Hawthorn. Josh Houlihan is too, which suprised me a bit. Quality VFL player but...he's a Houlihan..

Never seen McKinnon do anything other than tap the ball, and always struck me as super-light and none too phycsical. They seemed to like him down at Coburg though, almost tried to invent ways of getting him into the team there for a while (like moving Rix to FF).

Houlihan ... yes, he's a Houlihan. Great skills, heart of a pea. Can't see him getting a gig with the Hawks. They tend to have less tolerance of skillful shirkers than Richmond do.

Weaver said:
Houlihan ... yes, he's a Houlihan. Great skills, heart of a pea. Can't see him getting a gig with the Hawks. They tend to have less tolerance of skillful shirkers than Richmond do.
Yeah, considering we just got rid of Snowflake Lonie, I don't reckon we'd go for a Houlihan.

Weaver said:
Good junior footballer but one of those players caught without a position at AFL level. In junior footy he tended to play as a rebounding, back-pocket but he is sort of Chaffey-paced and so while he does OK in the role it is a bit of a luxury having him there. Going to midfield he never quite got enough of the footy. He doesn't have the height to be a key defender.

I really don't think he has the ability to play at the AFL tempo, I think VFL is his level. Reminds me a little of Ezra Poyas. Talented enough, very good VFL player, but not AFL role for him.
well explained weaver, you always seem to know a little about each player if he plays afl or vfl!

Weaver said:

People at Hawthorn said the same about Shane Tuck before he went to West Adelaide for 2 years.

I think Al's got a touch more silk in his skills than Ezra and at 6'2" would be very handy playing on a medium sized forward or off the wing. I understand Hawthorn invited him to train but he chose to follow Collo and hence is with you guys.

Worth maybe a late draft pick or definitely rookie spot.

Weaver said:

Howat better suited to the Tigers than Neville, got one :)

Weaver said:
Howat better suited to the Tigers than Neville, got one :)

looks like you were correct weaver.I think wallace wants quick young brigade and that's why he is recruiting these types of players with a bit of dash about them.

I'd rather Neville than House in terms of players and ability, but best of luck to House anyway. One of Andy Collins lovechildren, so he'll get a fair run at Coburg.

Remove this Banner Ad

Alister Neville doing a pre season at Richmond

Remove this Banner Ad

Back