All Australian team - 40 man squad

Remove this Banner Ad

The AFL's "official" website is so often "officially" wrong.

They claim it's Sam Fishers first nomination.

If they did their research they'd see he actually made the team in 2008.

Taylor made the team last year and is listed never selected.

Petrie and Kennedy ahead of Riewoldt is questionable IMO.

Disagree re. Petrie averages more kicks, handballs, marks, tackles, hitouts and inside 50 while giving up 0.5 less goals per game.

Petrie does alot more work around the ground has been more influential on the game this year (imo).

Bock, Goddard & Walker all pretty stiff. Betts & Murphy pretty lucky.

Hopefully Scott Thompson makes the 22 - has had a great year in a sh*thouse team!

Disagree re. Petrie averages more kicks, handballs, marks, tackles, hitouts and inside 50 while giving up 0.5 less goals per game.

Petrie does alot more work around the ground has been more influential on the game this year (imo).

agree with this - Petrie has had a terrific season - better than JR. Think he should be a lock for a starting 18 birth

Essendon/Sydney have 1 nom between them, both in finals, North have 4 when they didn't even make finals, where is the logic there?

Essendon and Sydney have better overall teams but North have better individual standout players?

Swallow may be a bit debateable imo, but Petrie, Wells and Goldstein are certainly deserving.

Not it's not. Goldstein and Cox have been better and have played more games this year. I'm assuming you're being sarcastic, but if not, you're wrong. Mumford is a legend and he's one of my favourite players, but you can't say he's been better than Cox or Goldstein this year over the whole year.
Obviously not talking about team, the squad itself, surely he could've been in the squad, why they couldn't have Cox, Goldstein and Mumford is bizarre

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Selwood very lucky. Missed like 6 games and still somehow makes it.
Griffen had as good a year as a few of the mids in that list, he even had a better year than some. Very stiff.

Scarlett gets his token nomination, and if Fyfe is named in the team as a HFF, the whole thing is a load of shit.

Its not about if your team makes finals... Weren't Collingwood like renown for getting high into September and barely having an AA jumper to show for it. North just have players who stick out more and have to carry a lot more of the load until the rest of their team develops. Saying that, I think Wells is lucky to be there, really dropped off after he received a tonne of hype.

Goddard isn't nominated because his form was awful to start the year whether he was getting a lot of it or not. Plus his on field persona during the early games mustn't of helped.

Essendon and Sydney have better overall teams but North have better individual standout players?

Swallow may be a bit debateable imo, butPetrie, Wells and Goldsteinare certainly deserving.
Yes my thoughts exactly, if Ted Richards, Shane Mumford and Ryan O'Keefe were in the squad I am sure it be the same situation as deserving, but team effort throughout the year prob cost them, rather than reliance on the top tier players to win you games

Selwood very lucky. Missed like 6 games and still somehow makes it.
Griffen had as good a year as a few of the mids in that list, he even had a better year than some. Very stiff.

Scarlett gets his token nomination, and if Fyfe is named in the team as a HFF, the whole thing is a load of shit.

OMG i missed that - absolute joke that a player can miss 6 games and still make it. Makes you feel for the 3-4 that were very unlucky not to make the squad. I have a feeling that the hype surrounding Fyfe like harry O and Frawley last year, will get him a gig which is a joke

Pretty Even looking squad, nothing strikes me as out of place. Is it a bit stiff that Gibbs didnt even make the 40. I thought he has played pretty bloody well across the HB line.

Can't believe Betts ahead of Walker.:eek:

And WTF does Kade Simpson have to do to get any recognition?

Not saying he should be in the 22, but should be in the 40.

Betts and Walker aren't that far apart really. IMO Walker's had a slightly better season but Betts has still had a great year. Sure he was really down for a month or two but over the season as a whole has been very good.

Simpson probably isn't that derserving. Great player but he's only been close to AA the last few weeks. Most of his season has been solid but not outstanding. I'd say Gibbs is more unlucky than him.

B: Grant Birchall - Luke Mcpharlin - Matthew Scarlett
HB: Heath Scotland - Ben Reid - Sam Fisher
C: Scott Pendlebury - Sam Mitchell (vc) - Marc Murphy
HF: Adam Goodes - Travis Cloke - Dane Swan
F: Stephen Milne - Lance Franklin - Josh Kennedy
R: Dean Cox - Gary Ablett (c) Chris Judd
I: Scott Thompson - Nick Dal Santo - Josh Gibson - Todd Goldstein

That's how the team should look.

Gotta load up on midfielders, as this year there have been plenty of standouts. Lots of quality defenders in all roles, 2 rebounders, 2 key defenders and 2 swingmen, who have been defensive generals for their team make a nice back 6, Gibson on the bench has had a great year too.

Kennedy must make it above Johnson, mostly for his defensive pressure, his presence, and his consistancy.

Steve Johnson has actually had a better year then last year, but he's straddled the team for 3 years, 07, 08 and 10, and he's fallen in each time. He only missed out on the one year where he dominted, 09, because hhe got injured around round 11.

Remove this Banner Ad

All Australian team - 40 man squad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back