All-Australian team up to this point

Remove this Banner Ad

I had Tarrant in my side about 6 weeks or so ago. However, considering his drop-off, and the more consistent form of others, he just couldn't squeeze in the side. He'll definitely be there in years to come, if he can replicate his great form of this season, over an entire year.

A.Lynch is also an underrated player. I reckon he'd have to be one of the smartest players going around, evidenced by his ability to make a contest at almost every situation possible, and win the ball more times than not.

Lynch is playing some of the best football he's played for a long time. A lot of other players would be more than happy to have the form he has. A 50+ goal season for the second team is a great effort by anyone's standards.

Originally posted by Blues2001

Nice call....:D

But where is he in your side???:( :(

He should definitely make it ahead of Wanganeen, he's clearly had a better season than him, and he's marking ability is far superior to Wanganeen's.

Here are the stats:
Lappin: 19 games, 257 kicks, 107 marks, 124 handballs, 40 goals.
Wanganeen: 20 games, 213 kicks, 65 marks, 95 handballs, 36 goals.

Lappin beats him hands down in every area, and (unless Wanga has two great games and Lappin two shockers) if Wanganeen gets a guernsey ahead of Lappin I will not be happy!

This is a joke right?!?!? You can use stats to prove anything. If your hinting that Lappin is a better player, or of more value to Carlton than Wanganeen is to Port Adelaide or the AA team, your not only kidding yourself but your showing a level of bias only usually associated with fools.
I'm pretty sure your not a fool Blues2001.

I think Tom FC is pretty damn close.

This would be mine:

B. Akermanis Hay Scarlett
HB. J.Johnson Gaspar Buckley
C. Cousins Stevens S. Black
HF. McLeod Ottens Hird
F. M.Lappin Lloyd B.Harvey
Ruck. Primus Voss Ratten
Inter: Francou Camporeale Wellman Bowden

A tough one, but I'd run with...

B: Rawlings, Hay, Akermanis
HB: Smith, Gaspar, Buckley(vc)
C: Camporeale, Cousins, Stevens
HF: Barker, Ottens, Lappin
F: Pickett, Lloyd, Tarrant
Fo: Primus, Voss(c), Ratten
Int: Grant, Thompson, McLeod, Harvey

Apologies to... Sean Wellman, Gavin Wanganeen, Shane Crawford, Peter Everitt, Simon Beaumont.

I'm prepared to cop the flack for naming five Hawthorn players in the line-up, but I think it reflects where the Hawks are at right about now. There's a bit of a gap between their very best players and their lower tier performers, which must be of some concern. The player I have most doubts about at the moment is Tarrant, who will be a class act, but he has tapered somewhat in recent weeks. I think he could certainly benefit from a spell down back to increase his defensive capabilities. Barker will raise eyebrows, but he's certainly the most creative HFF going around and he's done well at times trying to hold down CHF in Dutchy's absence. Grant's improved showings in recent times sees him sneak onto the bench and Nathan Thompson's ability to hold down both ruck and key forward posts sees him take the other tall bench position. McLeod can consider himself exceedingly unlucky not to get a starting spot, but looks extremely dangerous as an off the bench shock weapon.

Don't shoot me, I'm only the piano player...
Kevin

Originally posted by Santos L Helper

This is a joke right?!?!? You can use stats to prove anything. If your hinting that Lappin is a better player, or of more value to Carlton than Wanganeen is to Port Adelaide or the AA team, your not only kidding yourself but your showing a level of bias only usually associated with fools.
I'm pretty sure your not a fool Blues2001.

I'm not saying he's a better player. I'm saying he's had a better season, when I said "hands down" I was purely talking about this years stats that I presented. Again I'm not saying that he's a better player, he'd need to have quite a few seasons like 2001 to be thought of in the company of a brownlow medalist. BUT, as for this year goes, I don't feel I'm biased to say that Lappin's year has been better than Wanganeen's, and that therefore he should deserve AA selection ahead of him (of course if they both make it its no problem:) )

As for whose more important to their respective side, well I'm not in a good position to judge your side, so I'll just say that due to the defection of one A.Hamill, Lappin's importance to Carlton has increased 3 fold this year.:)

As for whose more important to their respective side, well I'm not in a good position to judge your side, so I'll just say that due to the defection of one A.Hamill, Lappin's importance to Carlton has increased 3 fold this year.:)

You also must remember that Wanganeen has played 50% of his games in the Backlines.... where he has had to blanket players. This has meant he hasn't been kicking more goals in th e 2nd half of the year and his stats also would be down.

I think Wanganeen has the advantage of being a dangerous player no matter where he plays... where as Lappin is mainly a forward player from what I have seen.

Cheers
SKC

I like yours Cyberkev, looks pretty good.
I'd maybe have only one of Rawlings and Hay, dont know who to swap for though.
Lynch has been a bit stiff not to make a lot of you lot's lists, maybe him and only one of Ottens and Thompson.

Re: Re: All-Australian team up to this point

Originally posted by TigerTank
I think Tom FC is pretty damn close.

This would be mine:

B. Akermanis Hay Scarlett
HB. J.Johnson Gaspar Buckley
C. Cousins Stevens S. Black
HF. McLeod Ottens Hird
F. M.Lappin Lloyd B.Harvey
Ruck. Primus Voss Ratten
Inter: Francou Camporeale Wellman Bowden

Cheers TT. Good call on Ottens and Bowden, but I'd probably just put Dunkley ahead of Scarlett.

And to all the Port supporters who want Wanganeen put ahead of Matty Lappin, you should wake up and realise that Primus, Stevens, Francou, Tredrea and Wanganeen can't all be put in the All-Australian side when there have been at least two other clubs who've had better seasons.

Wanted to thank you for highlighting the hawks but I have a sneaking suspicion that, like last year, Hawks will make finals (and not be disgraced once there) but not get a mention in the AA.

This is a reflection of eveneness in the team, not wide difference. Injury problem this year have been worse because they have taken out all options for key posts (CHF, Ruck, midfield, FB) No real superstars but the potentioal is still there so we're hopeful.

Originally posted by CyberKev
A tough one, but I'd run with...

B: Rawlings, Hay, Akermanis
HB: Smith, Gaspar, Buckley(vc)
C: Camporeale, Cousins, Stevens
HF: Barker, Ottens, Lappin
F: Pickett, Lloyd, Tarrant
Fo: Primus, Voss(c), Ratten
Int: Grant, Thompson, McLeod, Harvey

Apologies to... Sean Wellman, Gavin Wanganeen, Shane Crawford, Peter Everitt, Simon Beaumont.

I'm prepared to cop the flack for naming five Hawthorn players in the line-up, but I think it reflects where the Hawks are at right about now. There's a bit of a gap between their very best players and their lower tier performers, which must be of some concern. The player I have most doubts about at the moment is Tarrant, who will be a class act, but he has tapered somewhat in recent weeks. I think he could certainly benefit from a spell down back to increase his defensive capabilities. Barker will raise eyebrows, but he's certainly the most creative HFF going around and he's done well at times trying to hold down CHF in Dutchy's absence. Grant's improved showings in recent times sees him sneak onto the bench and Nathan Thompson's ability to hold down both ruck and key forward posts sees him take the other tall bench position. McLeod can consider himself exceedingly unlucky not to get a starting spot, but looks extremely dangerous as an off the bench shock weapon.

Don't shoot me, I'm only the piano player...
Kevin

TT, question on Ottens at a true CHF? From the tiggers games ive seen he has been more out of a pocket than a traditional (though thats a thing of the past anyway) CHF. How much actual game time has he had at the 50m mark this year. From a Hawks (probably biased) viewpoint the truest CHF iv seen this year playing consistently good footy has been (surprise) is Johnny.B.Barker. Might not make All Aust but deserves at least to have his name in the mix.

Aside fromt that, Hay cant be full back for obvious reasons (well there obvious if your an associate of Sly77)!

Nice call....:D

But where is he in your side???:( :(

He should definitely make it ahead of Wanganeen, he's clearly had a better season than him, and he's marking ability is far superior to Wanganeen's.

Here are the stats:
Lappin: 19 games, 257 kicks, 107 marks, 124 handballs, 40 goals.
Wanganeen: 20 games, 213 kicks, 65 marks, 95 handballs, 36 goals.

Lappin beats him hands down in every area, and (unless Wanga has two great games and Lappin two shockers) if Wanganeen gets a guernsey ahead of Lappin I will not be happy!

Wanganeen has had just as good a season as Lappin. If Wanganeen doesnt get a jumper i wont be happy either. Unlike Lappin...Wanganeen hasnt played every game up forward. He has played games in teh midfield and down back as well. He has killed Jarman in Shodown 10 in defence...he defeated James Hird playing in defence, he slaughtered the Fremantle midfield by himself, and has won us mayne games playing up forward. He has had just as good a year as Lappin has...and the fact he has played 4-5 stopping roles in defence can show for his "bad" stats compared to Lappins. Wanganeen would have 50 goals by now if he played up forward all year....but the last 4-5 weeks he has played in defence

Re: Re: Re: All-Australian team up to this point

Originally posted by Tom FC

And to all the Port supporters who want Wanganeen put ahead of Matty Lappin, you should wake up and realise that Primus, Stevens, Francou, Tredrea and Wanganeen can't all be put in the All-Australian side when there have been at least two other clubs who've had better seasons.

That makes no sense what so ever. Does it matter that we are third on the ladder?? Does that mean we arent allowed to have more AA players than first and second?? What if first has no standout players at all?? Theyve just had a total team effort all year. What if Port have had 4-5 standout players in respective positions all year?? Why shouldnt they be put in the side?

There havent been many standouts in the Essendon side this year. Lloyd and J Johnson are the only 2 that immediatly come to mind. All the others have been great - but not standouts.

Re: Re: Re: Re: All-Australian team up to this point

Originally posted by Macca19

That makes no sense what so ever. Does it matter that we are third on the ladder?? Does that mean we arent allowed to have more AA players than first and second?? What if first has no standout players at all?? Theyve just had a total team effort all year. What if Port have had 4-5 standout players in respective positions all year?? Why shouldnt they be put in the side?

There havent been many standouts in the Essendon side this year. Lloyd and J Johnson are the only 2 that immediatly come to mind. All the others have been great - but not standouts.

That's correct Macca

In 1993 the Crows had 5 All Australians (more than any team) yet finished third.

Its individual players and has nothing to do with teams.

Wanganeen is a much better player than Lappin as he can play in a far more diverse range of roles.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

While we are talking about playing players in their actual positions, Buckley shouldn't be (and I suggest won't be) named at half-back.

He has played centre all season and is undoubtedly the best in the business in that position!!!

Originally posted by Macca19

Wanganeen has had just as good a season as Lappin. If Wanganeen doesnt get a jumper i wont be happy either. Unlike Lappin...Wanganeen hasnt played every game up forward. He has played games in teh midfield and down back as well. He has killed Jarman in Shodown 10 in defence...he defeated James Hird playing in defence, he slaughtered the Fremantle midfield by himself, and has won us mayne games playing up forward. He has had just as good a year as Lappin has...and the fact he has played 4-5 stopping roles in defence can show for his "bad" stats compared to Lappins. Wanganeen would have 50 goals by now if he played up forward all year....but the last 4-5 weeks he has played in defence

You say he defeated Jame Hird, yet I distinctly remember straight after that game you wrote that the points were shared.:confused: :confused:

And you say his stats are worse than Lappin because of his role in defence, but Wanganeen's also played in the midfield which means that his stats should be inflated in those games should they not (as its easier to get higher possessions in the midfielder than down forward). Sure Wanganeen can play around the ground more, but that shouldn't be a reason to pick him in the AA team at all. Its not about that.

When Lance Whitnall was out, Lappin was basically playing as Carlton's CHF so I think you may be underrating his versatility a bit. I can't imagine Wanganeen in that role because he's not a good enough mark.

Anyway, as I said, if they both get it then I won't complain.

Originally posted by Grendel
TT, question on Ottens at a true CHF? From the tiggers games ive seen he has been more out of a pocket than a traditional (though thats a thing of the past anyway) CHF.

It is impossible to truly quantify where Ottens plays - starts in the ruck, moves forward and can end up anywhere within the front half of the ground.

Nevertheless, Ottens spends most of his time at or around centre half forward, at least to the extent that Grant or Carey might. There is no "rotating forward/ruck" slot in the All-Australian and CHF is the closest approximation.

I don't think that Barker is All-Australian - good, honest footballer who has had a very good year, but I would have others in front of Barker for CHF besides Ottens. Tredrea or Bradshaw (both forward rotators), or Grant spring to mind.

Rawlings is the next Hawk I'd have in this team, perhaps moving Gaspar or Hay to accommodate. I think people underestimate Scarlett's year though - he has been excellent.

Thanks for the reply TT.

Re the forward/floating idea, while i do understand where your coming from re all possies on the ground now are 'nominal' to say the least. From my (as said before) biased view point the one bloke that more or less has played all his footy this year (and done very well there too) has been Barks.

Still reckon he at least deserves mention for the spot.

Cheers.

Remove this Banner Ad

All-Australian team up to this point

Remove this Banner Ad

Back