All-Krypton: the team to beat the All-Australian team

Remove this Banner Ad

m0nty

Premiership Player
Jan 22, 2005
Richmond
AFL Club
Hawthorn
There are some serious structural problems with the 2012 All-Australian team. It looks beatable to me, based on those problems. I thought it would be an interesting exercise to construct a team to beat the AA team to highlight these issues.

B: Josh Gibson, Tom Lonergan, Corey Enright
HB: Shannon Hurn, Harry Taylor, Brent Reilly
C: Brendon Goddard, Sam Mitchell, Stephen Hill
HF: Jude Bolton, Taylor Walker, Steve Johnson
F: Eddie Betts, Matthew Pavlich, Jarryd Roughead
Foll: Sam Jacobs, Kieren Jack, Ryan O'Keefe
Int: Brad Sewell, Ryan Crowley, Daniel Rich, Lewis Jetta

Key defensive matchups:
Taylor to Hawkins - no one has consistently held the Tomahawk this year (Grundy did once out of two) but the most likely would probably be his Cats teammate.
Lonergan to Franklin - has done the job before and could do so again. Highly underrated.
Gibson to Cox/Naitanui - would exploit Cox's lack of separation from the corridor by zoning off as third man up, and would be one of the few defenders with the athleticism to combat NicNat in the air.

Small defensive matchups:
Enright to Milne - did this job in R1 2011 to maximum effect. Can do a job and provide rebound run at the same time.
Reilly to Rioli - No one can truly hold Cyril but Reilly can hurt him the other way.
Hurn to the resting mid (Dangerfield) - the lack of respect the mids would pay to Hurn would tell as Hurn can kill a side with run off halfback.

Key forward matchups:
McPharlin to Walker - McPharlin normally takes Tippett against the Crows so this would be interesting.
Richards to Pavlich - Pav didn't kick a goal in their R2 meeting but that was when the Dockers were terrible.
Glass to Roughead/Jacobs - Glass, by his own admission at the AA awards, can't go with the good forwards any more. Roughie would tear him a new one, and stop him zoning off or creating rebound.

Small forward matchups:
Bolton to Birchall - this would be a defensive forward tag, something Birchall doesn't cope with all that well.
Dempster on Johnson - Stevie J would take Dempster up the ground and tire him out, then take his toll.
Waters to Betts - Eddie would keep Beau occupied enough to stop his rebound, and is underrated for his forward press efforts.

Midfield A rotation:
Thompson, Ablett, Watson versus O'Keefe, Crowley, Mitchell - Crowley to tag GAJ, ROK to tag or beat ST and Mitch to beat Jobe head to head

Midfield B rotation:
Kennedy, Pendlebury, Swan versus Sewell, Jack, Rich - Sewell to tag JPK, Jack to tag Pendles and Rich to beat Swan with superior disposal

Wings:
Cotchin, Beams versus Hill, Goddard - outside run with genuine speed is an area where the AA team is seriously lacking and Hill provides this in spades, plus Goddard has the experience that the other two can't match.

Sub:
Deledio versus Jetta - I am assuming these subs of course, but they have to be considered... I think Jetta is the archetypal sub, and edges Lids out.

The overall thinking behind the Krypton side is that the AA team has several important deficiencies that can be exploited:
- Glass is not fit to play on an AA-quality third tall;
- Cox is not fit to keep an AA-quality zoning off third man back occupied;
- The best forward taggers nullify the best halfback rebounders;
- Outside run is undervalued and inside ballwinning ability is overvalued in AA;
- Too many midfielders picked over genuine forwards means a lack of authentic forward press;
- There are no taggers in this side, and there are certain non-AA players who if left untagged will carve you apart (Hurn, Hill, Rich);
- Some of the AA players have "bogey men" (a bit of a lurk on my part to be able to pick last, but that's my benefit).

Despite my attempts to pick favourable matchups, the engine room of the Australian side would most likely ensure that it wins the centre clearance battles, there is just too much firepower in green and gold (or is it purple?). However, Gibson would spoil many forward entries and with Rioli the only genuine small forward providing any forward press for Australia, the likes of Hurn and Reilly would find the outlets of Goddard and Hill often enough to provide damaging Krypton counter-attacks against the relatively one-paced Australian midfield. The superior forward press of the Krypton forwards would force multiple repeat entries and eventual scores.

I would see Australia as trying to play the Geelong style of overpossession in midfield, running in packs and owning the corridor, whereas the Krypton gameplan would be to force one-on-one contests a la Sydney, and use the slingshot with Hill and Jetta from stoppages. Naitanui is noted for being not nearly as effective at stoppages around the ground as he is in the centre, which is where Jacobs (with Roughead providing the chop out) would dominate and play into the high-stoppage Swans mode.

Do you think you can come up with a better Krypton 22? There are probably anti-AA bogey men I've missed. Do you think such a team is even possible to make, one that can beat the All-Australian juggernaut?

This is good, move the game to the G though. Jacobs had the better year, but got a bit of a work over by Cox/NN, maybe swap him for a fit Sandi and we'll see how well they ruck.

Need the right umpires too, a lot of Eagles in the AA squad so don't pick any of their favorites.

Assuming Sam Gibson is supposed to be Josh Gibson, you've got your defensive matchups wrong. NicNat / Cox will monster Gibson. He is very good third man up but if he's isolated against either of them he's toast. He is also nowhere near a match for NicNat in the air. The successful defenders are the ones who are clever and can take away his run at the ball. You'd be better choosing a Reid or Scarlett for that matchup. Enright should go to Rioli, I've never seen Rioli get off the leash against him. Hurn goes to Milne and zones off while Milne spends time on the wings. Milne is not typically a 2 way runner and this gives Hurn time to hurt you with his kicking. Reilly is then free to play as the attacking defender.

Fair call on the small defenders, The_Ru. Reid was close and could well take Taylor's spot. Scott D. Thompson would have also been in consideration if he hadn't got pantsed in the elimination final. I feel like you need the #1 zone-off spoiler in the comp in that side, though.

This is the side you meant. I'd back this side, every day of the week, all fully fit of course.

B: Josh Gibson, Ben Reid, Scott Thompson
HB: Heath Shaw, Harry Taylor, Brendon Goddard
C: Adam Goodes, Sam Mitchell, Joel Selwood
HF: Ryan O'Keefe, Travis Cloke, Steve Johnson
F: Mark LeCras, Matthew Pavlich, Taylor Walker
Foll: Aaron Sandilands, Chris Judd, Andrew Swallow
Int: Drew Petrie, Jimmy Bartel, Dale Thomas, Marc Murphy

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The problem with that side, Pykie, is that it is structured the same way as the AA side, so it's really just the B team and would get beaten man for man on talent playing the same gamestyle.

I don't see the point in having Ryan Crowley, there are too many good mids to tag just 1.

I'd have it as

B: Josh Gibson (Haw) - Harry Taylor (Geel) - Nick Smith (Syd)
HB: Corey Enright (Geel) - Ben Reid (Coll) - Brendan Goddard (St.K)
C: Marc Murphy (Carl) - Joel Selwood (Geel) - Lewis Jetta (Syd)
HF: Steve Johnson (Geel) - Matthew Pavlich (Fre) - Steele Sidebottom (Coll)
F: Eddie Betts (Carl) - Taylor Walker (Ade) - Jarryd Roughead (Haw)
Ruck: Sam Jacobs (Ade) - Sam Mitchell (Haw) - Andrew Swallow (North)
Int: Kieren Jack (Syd) - Adam Goodes (Syd) - Brad Sewell (Haw) - Dale Thomas (Coll)

Need genuine top 10 midfielders, and you get them with Selwood, Murphy and Mitchell. Andrew Swallow lead the league in tackles and clearences, would be very important.

Gibson to Franklin, Taylor to Hawkins, and Reid to the resting ruck, allowing him to zone off and take intercept marks. Milne wouldn't get a kick on Nick Smith, and Enright's been very good on Rioli in the past. Goddard to take advantage of the space Dangerfield would give him.

The forward match-ups would work in this teams favour, but they'd struggle to go toe to toe with the AA midfield, which is why there are some genuine two way runners in Jack and Sewell.Thomas, Johnson and Jetta give you huge X factor, and can play forward and through the middle. Goodes as the sub, to come in late and dominate.

Milne kicked five on Smith earlier this year, which is why I didn't include him.

I forgot about Daisy. One other bloke I wanted to get in was Bartel... he's still arguably the best in the comp at finding ways to win a big game in Q4.

you could choose a team nearly every year that could be competitve with the All-Australian team. it's not about who the best players are, its about who had the best year.
For example, Joel Selwood is a better player currently than Dayne Beams, but Beams deserved to be AA more than Selwood just based on this season.
Having said this, I find it hard to believe a side containg Ablett, Swan, Pendlebury, Dangerfield, Rioli, Franklin, Deledio, Cotchin and the in and unders Watson and Kennedy would have any trouble beating any other side you could macth up against them. You could find a very good game, but to win?? I'd back this years AA team.

Milne kicked five on Smith earlier this year, which is why I didn't include him.

I forgot about Daisy. One other bloke I wanted to get in was Bartel... he's still arguably the best in the comp at finding ways to win a big game in Q4.

I was not aware, I'd back him in though.

I thought about Jimmy too, but didn't want to seem biased, and couldn't decide if I was following 2012 form or just going overall.

B: B.Reilly, H.Taylor, J.Gibson
HB: C.Enright, B.Reid, B.Goddard
C: D.Wells, C.Judd, R.O'keefe
HF: S.Johnson, T.Walker, S.Sidebottom
F: D.Petrie, M.Pavlich, E.Betts
R: S.Jaocbs, J.Selwood, S.Mitchell
I: K.Jack, M.Boyd, L.Hayes
Sub: A.Goodes

emg: S.Hurn, A.Swallow, H.Shaw.

The four bolded all should have been in the team. The main area that seperates the two sides in everyones teams is the midfield. Ablett, Watson, Pendlebury, Swan, Kennedy, Thompson and Dangerfield are the best midifielders in the league. The AA team would dominate the clearances. Which would inevitably win them the game.

B: B.Reilly, H.Taylor, J.Gibson
HB: C.Enright, B.Reid, B.Goddard
C: D.Wells, C.Judd, L. Jetta
HF: S.Johnson, T.Walker, S.Sidebottom
F: D.Petrie, M.Pavlich, E.Betts
R: S.Jaocbs, J.Selwood, S.Mitchell
I: K.Jack, M.Boyd, L.Hayes
Sub: A.Goodes

emg: S.Hurn, A.Swallow, H.Shaw.

Fixed that for you

Great and original OP! Good reading.

On Hawkins... I actually think Taylor wouldn't be able to hold him as he isn't the best one-on-one engaging defender (Lonergan is usually given those roles), though it is obviously hard to pick as we've never seen him try. I would swap Taylor with Ben Reid, who although people only remember the 2011 GF were he was monstered and injured, he has matched pretty well against him this year.

If that team was coached by Ross Lyon specifically, who is the master for getting players just to play their roles, then they could absolutely stop the AA team.

Remove this Banner Ad

All-Krypton: the team to beat the All-Australian team

Remove this Banner Ad

Back