Remove this Banner Ad

jknothimjustafan

Team Captain
Dec 5, 2010
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Scorchers

His method of selection is flawed though, one year you could be playing for one side, another year for the other, it builds no tangible rivalry from year to year, making it nothing more than a useless gimmick. If a better method of composing the teams was used, it'd be more successful. Maybe East (Vic, NSW, Qld, Tas) vs West (WA, SA, NT) I don't know how even the numbers would be for this, but it's the closest I can think of whilst keeping it along some geographical lines.

State of origin is probably still the best format, but with so many states (with differing numbers of players), it's far more difficult than the NRL have it with just 2 states to match up agaiunst each other.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

His method of selection is flawed though, one year you could be playing for one side, another year for the other, it builds no tangible rivalry from year to year, making it nothing more than a useless gimmick. If a better method of composing the teams was used, it'd be more successful. Maybe East (Vic, NSW, Qld, Tas) vs West (WA, SA, NT) I don't know how even the numbers would be for this, but it's the closest I can think of whilst keeping it along some geographical lines.

State of origin is probably still the best format, but with so many states (with differing numbers of players), it's far more difficult than the NRL have it with just 2 states to match up agaiunst each other.

Actually..... East vs West could work. I don't mind that idea.

Actually..... East vs West could work. I don't mind that idea.

It's better than being selected by either "Coach A" or "Coach B", one downside is that I'm pretty sure South and Western Australians are far from fond of each other, so teaming up may be a stretch, though neither of them like Victorians so it could work on that level.

Would be good if you just grouped half of the AFL teams on one side and the other half on the other side say...

West Coast
Crows
Brisbane
Sydney
Carlton
Essendon
Bulldogs
St. Kilda
Melbourne

VS.

Freo
Port
Gold Coast
GWS
Collingwood
Tigers
North
Hawthorn
Geelong

In some way so that a lot of the traditional rivalry's can still be upheld (Port vs Crows, West Coast vs Freo, Collingwood vs Carlton ect) and the cross city rivalrys can still be there as well. This way you could also support the same team every year.

Has anyone else picked up these flaws:

I remember joining Troy Simmonds, Chris Judd and Gary Ablett in the centre square against the Dream Team.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Ablett injured and didn't play? How well exactly do you remember?

Imagine seeing Nic Naitanui and Jack Watts battle it out against peers their own age.

Both are now into their third year so they wouldn't fit into a rookie vs sophomores game.

It's better than being selected by either "Coach A" or "Coach B", one downside is that I'm pretty sure South and Western Australians are far from fond of each other, so teaming up may be a stretch, though neither of them like Victorians so it could work on that level.

Not sure where you get the idea that SA and WA hate each other? Maybe I've just been in the wrong crowd, but both states seem to have too much of a rivalry with Victoria to concentrate on the other.

I'm very much biased, but I like the East vs West idea a whole lot, plus it would save me the fence-sitting hassle for SA vs WA games.

Victoria v Australia is only way I can see it marketed. Either use SoO rules or just have alll stars from the 10 Vic sides against the other 8, whichever method which that would result in a competitive matchup.

Aussie Rules is an emotional game to follow and fans want a side to barrack for. Not sure what interest would be there if it was an East V West match.

The Yanks seem to put the emotion out of their all star games... fans really don't care who wins, because there is absolutely no reason to care, especially since players can effectively switch sides from one season to the next by playing for a different club... the whole purpose is to see the league's elite all in one match to display their talents, regardless who wins. It's just for entertainment purposes.

State of Origin was, at one time, something more than that, and is still the benchmark that fans want to match when discussing potential rep games in this era.

The passing of Ted Whitten and the national comp killed off interest in SoO.

So they wouldn't go for State of Origin but an All-Star game is OK? Lame.

No.

no rep games simple.

Players and coaches are already complaining about the sub rule making them play on the ground more and increasing chance of injury. Some coaches have even mentioned that star players will need to be rested.

So why add another game that really no one will care about.

Pendlebury is correct in ruling out SOO because essentially it's a game designed for the Vics to take pride in their jumper, yet anyone wearing the All-stars jumper is only there to let the Vics play together.

Going forward, I don't see much passion inspired by all the other states fighting with Victoria. Also, I'm not too keen on building a Vic vs The Rest mentallity in the AFL.

Let it die.

Would be good if you just grouped half of the AFL teams on one side and the other half on the other side say...

West Coast
Crows
Brisbane
Sydney
Carlton
Essendon
Bulldogs
St. Kilda
Melbourne

VS.

Freo
Port
Gold Coast
GWS
Collingwood
Tigers
North
Hawthorn
Geelong

In some way so that a lot of the traditional rivalry's can still be upheld (Port vs Crows, West Coast vs Freo, Collingwood vs Carlton ect) and the cross city rivalrys can still be there as well. This way you could also support the same team every year.

This is a brilliant idea.

More people should take notice because it solves every problem :thumbsu:

The players give 100% because they are competitive beasts who want to be respected by their peers. Don't need a Vic guernsey to inspire passion. Would love to see Cotchin, Martin, Pendlebury, Selwood, etc teaming up to take on Carlton, Essendon, etc and their best players.

There is greater pride in your own team's contribution each year. When a young gun emerges for a club in your group, you can take a little more pleasure watching him knowing he'll help you in the teamed club rivalry match.

As for interstate clubs, the interest is massive with Freo vs WC, Adel vs Port, etc all in the one match.

I like it.

Remove this Banner Ad

All star game

Remove this Banner Ad

Back