All things Politics

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am genuinely interested in your opinion. Do you think the US was justified in carrying out the nuclear bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki?

My old Japanese Politics Prof, Yuki Tanaka, (from my fading memory) argued the bombings were acts of criminality

Yuki was an excellent teacher and lovely man

Post these classes, I have read in several additional sources that Japan would have dragged the war much longer without the bombings

A full invasion of the Japanese mainland arguably would have been a million plus deaths

The destruction of Little Boy and Fat Man may have deterred the use of nuclear weapons in the Korean War and later in the Cold War (at much greater loss of life)

If I was US President in 1945, I don’t know if I would have dropped a nuclear bomb. I don’t have the exact data that Truman had before him

I’d like to think I could have reached a non-nuclear solution but am not going to kid myself

Absolute certainty is often the theatre of maniacs but also the luxury of people who have no power to act

On Friday, Reuters reported that the United States has sent Israel 14,000 2,000-pound bombs since October for use in the Gaza genocide. These massive bombs, among the largest in the US arsenal, are capable of destroying entire city blocks and can kill people up to 1,200 feet away.

The Reuters report which for the first time revealed the exact breakdown of US arms shipments to Israel, showed that the Biden administration sent Israel more 2,000-pound bombs than all other types of bombs and missiles combined.

There is only one explanation for why the US has sent so many of this vastly destructive weapon for use in a densely packed urban area: The Biden administration is consciously and deliberately seeking the complete destruction of Gaza and the massacre of as many Palestinians as possible.

Israel’s “war” in Gaza was, in fact, conceived by its architects in Washington as a war of annihilation. The systematic destruction of civilian homes, schools and hospitals is not an accidental byproduct but the deliberate aim of US policy. The goal is not to minimize, but to maximize, the civilian body count.

It is a genocide by design, planned and organized in Washington.

oh comeon....israel's murders have been done by israel for israel-related reasons....the USA is just the sugar-daddy who just cant say no

My old Japanese Politics Prof, Yuki Tanaka, (from my fading memory) argued the bombings were acts of criminality

Yuki was an excellent teacher and lovely man

Post these classes, I have read in several additional sources that Japan would have dragged the war much longer without the bombings

A full invasion of the Japanese mainland arguably would have been a million plus deaths

The destruction of Little Boy and Fat Man may have deterred the use of nuclear weapons in the Korean War and later in the Cold War (at much greater loss of life)

If I was US President in 1945, I don’t know if I would have dropped a nuclear bomb. I don’t have the exact data that Truman had before him

I’d like to think I could have reached a non-nuclear solution but am not going to kid myself

Absolute certainty is often the theatre of maniacs but also the luxury of people who have no power to act

coincidence, walter, i did a german politics unit and the german guy who ran the course made a case that the rise of hitler and his acceptance by the german public, was a direct result of the treaty of versailles and the associated financial punishments by the brits, french etc imposed on germany post WW1. I cant remember the lecturers name. He wasnt a professor.

coincidence, walter, i did a german politics unit and the german guy who ran the course made a case that the rise of hitler and his acceptance by the german public, was a direct result of the treaty of versailles and the associated financial punishments by the brits, french etc imposed on germany post WW1. I cant remember the lecturers name. He wasnt a professor.

One of the original versions of the Treaty of V - possibly the only one that isn’t held by one of the nation signatories- sits on the wall of a house which is a little club in Clendon Rd Toorak, known as The Heroes.

Not sure your views would be well received by the old boys in there though.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

One of the original versions of the Treaty of V - possibly the only one that isn’t held by one of the nation signatories- sits on the wall of a house which is a little club in Clendon Rd Toorak, known as The Heroes.

it wasnt my view, wipey. It was the view of the german lecturer who argued that extreme reparations destablised the initial attempts of democracy through the weimer republic, causing hyper inflation that sent germans into a desperate lurch to find a saviour....who ended up being hitler.... he was pretty persuasive if i remember correctly. I never felt any of it being anti-semitic but i'm sure someone out there would make that charge. maybe he copped his just dessert later on by someone like yourself. I do agree with you that the theory was unusual even though it was well referenced and fit the requirements of a uni course. The unusualness is probably why i remember it. As I said, i wouldnt call it as being a part of my views.

it wasnt my view, wipey. It was the view of the german lecturer who argued that extreme reparations destablised the initial attempts of democracy through the weimer republic, causing hyper inflation that sent germans into a desperate lurch to find a saviour....who ended up being hitler.... he was pretty persuasive if i remember correctly. I never felt any of it being anti-semitic but i'm sure someone out there would make that charge. maybe he copped his just dessert later on by someone like yourself. I do agree with you that the theory was unusual even though it was well referenced and fit the requirements of a uni course. The unusualness is probably why i remember it. As I said, i wouldnt call it as being a part of my views.
i was talking about your views generally

well its certainly not my intention to upset the heroes who fought against hitler in the second world war. My father died in his mid 90s some time ago and he was too young to join the RAAF until after the war, so I can only imagine how old the Heroes are. It just shows you how good the toorak lifestyle can be. Surely, there's none left from the first world war? I know my grandfather waded onto the beaches at gallipoli, but he died before the pivotal win in the six day war, which you probably continue to celebrate even today. He even fought in the middle east against the fascists and the forces of evil, so I can see him smiling from above looking at recent Israel successes.

I suppose that the old boys will just have to be content that Israel is continuing on with their fight against fascism and oppression. They must be pretty impressed with the number of hamas operatives that have been killed in the last 9 months. I'm smiling just thinking of the lunches that you have with them and how their faces must light up when you brief them. Keep up the good work wipey, and once again, I'm personally grateful that you have spent time on my posts.

So in the end, my views are just a sidelight to the big picture which is going very well.

well its certainly not my intention to upset the heroes who fought against hitler in the second world war. My father died in his mid 90s some time ago and he was too young to join the RAAF until after the war, so I can only imagine how old the Heroes are. It just shows you how good the toorak lifestyle can be. Surely, there's none left from the first world war? I know my grandfather waded onto the beaches at gallipoli, but he died before the pivotal win in the six day war, which you probably continue to celebrate even today. He even fought in the middle east against the fascists and the forces of evil, so I can see him smiling from above looking at recent Israel successes.

I suppose that the old boys will just have to be content that Israel is continuing on with their fight against fascism and oppression. They must be pretty impressed with the number of hamas operatives that have been killed in the last 9 months. I'm smiling just thinking of the lunches that you have with them and how their faces must light up when you brief them. Keep up the good work wipey, and once again, I'm personally grateful that you have spent time on my posts.

So in the end, my views are just a sidelight to the big picture which is going very well.
Sadly, not too many WWII vets are still with us. But there are still many Heroes(I was previously one, but resigned due to lack of use).

The name comes from one of the members leaving the Club on a Friday night to arrive home a bit late, which was unfortunate since they were hosting a dinner party. His wife reputedly launched a cold dinner at his scone and told him to "Go back and have some more drinks with those Heroes".

And thus the Toorak sub-branch of the RSL was re-named.

Nowadays the members consist of around 50% ex-military, some of whom I always thought seemed kind of spy-like. But that was probably my imagination.

Sadly, not too many WWII vets are still with us. But there are still many Heroes(I was previously one, but resigned due to lack of use).

The name comes from one of the members leaving the Club on a Friday night to arrive home a bit late, which was unfortunate since they were hosting a dinner party. His wife reputedly launched a cold dinner at his scone and told him to "Go back and have some more drinks with those Heroes".

And thus the Toorak sub-branch of the RSL was re-named.

Nowadays the members consist of around 50% ex-military, some of whom I always thought seemed kind of spy-like. But that was probably my imagination.

sadly the lower classes dont seem to have the same solidarity. The various clubs in fremantle have fallen by the wayside over the years through lack of money and support, and the new money to freo just doesnt have the desire to retain the old values like your people do.

You should really re-enlist in the club as its the source of all the good ideas in our society. We probably wouldnt be where we are at the moment without you and the heroes. There's a lot of noise in the community at this point in time. I'm confident that things will get back to normal in a year or so, and we'll be able to laugh off the absurdities of the student types with their brush with idealistic thinking.

it's opportune that news has arrived of another hamas rocket attack which has cut a wave of destruction through israeli land, causing israel to retaliate and protect its homeland from imminent destruction

After WW2 Germany had minor reparations levied - think it was USD 3 billion when the true debt was closer to USD 300 billion (in 1950 dollars)

West Germany also received rebuild cash from the Marshall Plan (along with Uk, France etc)

These were in part motivated by bringing Europe to ally with the US, not the Soviet Union, but also recognition that the Treaty of Versailles was likely harsh

(Log in to remove this ad.)

After WW2 Germany had minor reparations levied - think it was USD 3 billion when the true debt was closer to USD 300 billion (in 1950 dollars)

West Germany also received rebuild cash from the Marshall Plan (along with Uk, France etc)

These were in part motivated by bringing Europe to ally with the US, not the Soviet Union, but also recognition that the Treaty of Versailles was likely harsh

Walter, I'm not sure how post-WW2 reparations relate to the rise of Hitler....who I think came to power before WW2. Not that I ever question the squad's line of thinking in these areas....

An example of Israeli assistance to those who are suffering.....unfortunately a mother is still suffering and hopefully she can be assisted in the coming months

Father of Palestinian girl Hind Rajab also killed in Gaza: Report​

The father of six-year-old Palestinian girl Hind Rajab (see photo left) – whose killing in an Israeli tank attack in January garnered global attention – has also been reported killed in Gaza.
US journalist Jeremy Scahill said in a post on X that he had learned of the death from Palestinian journalist and documentary maker Ashraf Mashharawi, who recently spoke with Hind’s mother. Hind’s mother found out her husband had been killed by text message after the family was separated under Israel’s ongoing Gaza siege, Scahill said.

Walter, I'm not sure how post-WW2 reparations relate to the rise of Hitler....who I think came to power before WW2. Not that I ever question the squad's line of thinking in these areas....
The argument is that Versailles penalties were so harsh and such a humiliation that it gave rise to fierce nationalism within Germany.

Thus post ww2 they weren't as harsh and enabled Japan and Germany to bounce back really quickly without the negatives that are attributed to Versailles.

I think you are just having fun (or stoned)

But just in case you have dementia:

WW1

Treaty aggrieved the Germans

Partially led to Hitler and WW2

WW2

More generous treaty to avoid:
  • West Germans turning to Soviets
  • Or, West Germans re-militarising against Europe

The argument is that Versailles penalties were so harsh and such a humiliation that it gave rise to fierce nationalism within Germany.

Thus post ww2 they weren't as harsh and enabled Japan and Germany to bounce back really quickly without the negatives that are attributed to Versailles.

if you look back, SR, I was telling wipey about a german lecturer's theory about the rise of hitler, because the wipey had referenced a japanese professor who had theories about the nuclear bomb drops on japan. I wasn't a discussion about what happened in post WW2, because very little of what happened after WW2 had an impact on hitler's rise to power.

I think you are just having fun (or stoned)

But just in case you have dementia:

WW1

Treaty aggrieved the Germans

Partially led to Hitler and WW2

WW2

More generous treaty to avoid:
  • West Germans turning to Soviets
  • Or, West Germans re-militarising against Europe

please read previous post to SR walter. I think that i sent it but i cant remember....

if you look back, SR, I was telling wipey about a german lecturer's theory about the rise of hitler, because the wipey had referenced a japanese professor who had theories about the nuclear bomb drops on japan. I wasn't a discussion about what happened in post WW2, because very little of what happened after WW2 had an impact on hitler's rise to power.
Weren't a lot of Japanese professors in my part of the uni.

The IDF has finally got a fair fight on its hands. I hope that viewers can understand hebrew, and the thick israeli accent. You have to understand that these people have been embedded in palestine for 2000 years...

Are you being particularly thick?

Post www2 stuff is just mentioned to suggest that they changed approach post ww2, as they felt the harshness of Versailles had helped to contribute to the rise of Nazis - it's adding credibility to your crout lecturers theory.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad