All things Politics

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This thread

canadian eating GIF by Feliks Tomasz Konczakowski

Talking about modern times, I just think a starvation strategy is way too slow in today's media environment. It just doesnt suit the modern media approach to issues and it doesnt fit today's media consumer who will turn to other conflicts.

You are grabbing stuff off the Internet without having done the hard work to be able to evaluate sources and content

I hope your kids, if you have them, have embraced better critical thinking

The world needs more evidence-based thinking than the rubbish you have been presenting all day with complete confidence

I agree that you have to question the purpose of the source information as you indicate. But in fact, it's a a never-ending rabbit hole. Research organisations that portray themselves as objective are often funded by the status quo. In fact, the topics of research at universities are often determined by particular people and organisations, often supporting the status quo. I remember when i worked at a Uni some years back, a lot of the phDs and research was funded by wesfarmers. They dont do it for the warm fuzzy feelings that they get.

After looking at the net for a number of years, I'm surprised that a lot of issues can be distilled down to old fashioned basics. What country is the origin of the research. Who pays the researcher. What religion is the researcher. Analysing the actual research is often irrelevant.

I agree that you have to question the purpose of the source information as you indicate. But in fact, it's a a never-ending rabbit hole. Research organisations that portray themselves as objective are often funded by the status quo. In fact, the topics of research at universities are often determined by particular people and organisations, often supporting the status quo. I remember when i worked at a Uni some years back, a lot of the phDs and research was funded by wesfarmers. They dont do it for the warm fuzzy feelings that they get.

After looking at the net for a number of years, I'm surprised that a lot of issues can be distilled down to old fashioned basics. What country is the origin of the research. Who pays the researcher. What religion is the researcher. Analysing the actual research is often irrelevant.

Agree with you

Finance is one domain where exchange traded price data gives you one source of agreed truth

analysing why economic and finance events happened is imperfect, but there is often a useful consensus that emerges which has predictive value (e.g. policy austerity in recessions makes things worse; policy profligacy in boom times makes things worse)

Agree with you

Finance is one domain where exchange traded price data gives you one source of agreed truth

analysing why economic and finance events happened is imperfect, but there is often a useful consensus that emerges which has predictive value (e.g. policy austerity in recessions makes things worse; policy profligacy in boom times makes things worse)

i remember doing something in economics years ago. It involved the relationship between inflation and unemployment. Evidently it was discovered relatively recently. I cant remember when and the name of the effect. Anyway, it led economists to believe that they could control unemployment via inflation or something similar.

In fact, the only thing that i can remember in studying this mess, is that immediately after economists "discovered" the effect and proceeded to apply, the "effect" disappeared. It was simply not evident anymore. I do remember that part of the lecture and it has stuck with me.

In studying economics, I think it's more useful to study how the rich manipulate markets to make more money. How they manipulate taxes to make more money. I am of the belief that if everyone became aware of these processes, then the effect would magically disappear.

(post post edit : it was the the phillips curve....my razor sharp research skills found it)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i remember doing something in economics years ago. It involved the relationship between inflation and unemployment. Evidently it was discovered relatively recently. I cant remember when and the name of the effect. Anyway, it led economists to believe that they could control unemployment via inflation or something similar.

In fact, the only thing that i can remember in studying this mess, is that immediately after economists "discovered" the effect and proceeded to apply, the "effect" disappeared. It was simply not evident anymore. I do remember that part of the lecture and it has stuck with me.

In studying economics, I think it's more useful to study how the rich manipulate markets to make more money. How they manipulate taxes to make more money. I am of the belief that if everyone became aware of these processes, then the effect would magically disappear.

To your last paragraph, capital is woefully under-taxed and income over-taxed in OECD nations

Politicians have mostly made this call because it serves an older electorate who vote to preserve it

Business interests are mixed on the capital-income debate

So what do the rich do, they shelter capital in minimised tax structures (super, family home, trusts, businesses that can choose timing of dividends, VC funds that are not taxed etc)

To your last paragraph, capital is woefully under-taxed and income over-taxed in OECD nations

Politicians have mostly made this call because it serves an older electorate who vote to preserve it

So what do the rich do, they shelter capital in minimised tax structures (super, family home, trusts, businesses that can choose timing of dividends, VC funds that are not taxed etc)
You're sounding like a Thomas Piketty book now

of course, i knew it wasnt the rich at fault, walter. I think the old are probably the blame for most of our ills. I'm hoping that the system will clear itself out when rupert dies...

I just read an article on the BBC site about enlistment in the ukraine...forced enlistment.... and the fact that it is applied to men. What can a 60 year old man do that a 21 year old woman can't? I know there's a lot of chauvanistic attitudes in these eastern european countries but I htought things were desperate.

Elon Musk just has his pay package of $45 billion approved. His payout is more than the amount required to eliminate homelessness and hunger in the US.
There is financial and social parasitism personified, if anyone wasn't clear on its meaning - or at least its consequences.

I just read an article on the BBC site about enlistment in the ukraine...forced enlistment.... and the fact that it is applied to men. What can a 60 year old man do that a 21 year old woman can't? I know there's a lot of chauvanistic attitudes in these eastern european countries but I htought things were desperate.
So what is your point? Do you think they should conscript 21 year women as well ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad