All things Politics

Remove this Banner Ad

It is recognised that this is a fraught topic for any number of you posting here. Some of you will have family in Israel or Palestine. Some of you will have connections to either side of the conflict. What you need to understand is that this site has rules governing posting standards and the appropriate way to talk to other posters, and you will abide by them.

How this interacts with this thread is that the following will result in your post being deleted, with a recurrence of the same behaviour resulting in (depending on severity) a threadban for a week and a day off:
  • direct labelling of someone as anti-semitic or a terrorist sympathiser for posting that is merely critical of Israel's response over time. Israel has the right to defend themselves from violence, but that does not mean that Israel has carte blanche to attack disproportionately towards people under their care.
  • deliberate goading or flippant responses, designed to get people reacting to your posting emotionally.
  • abuse.
  • attempts to turn this into a Left vs Right shitfight.
  • Use the word 'Nazi' in here, you had better be able to justify it in the post you're making and the comparison had better be apt. Godwin's law is in full effect for the purposes of this thread; if you refer to Nazis, you've lost whatever argument you're involved in.
  • Any defense of Hamas' actions on the basis of justification. There's no justification for genocide, regardless of whether or not they have the power to do so.
Please recognise that this is a difficult time for all involved, and some level of sensitivity is absolutely required to permit discussion to flow. From time to time, mods will reach out to specific posters and do some welfare checks; we may even give posters who get a bit too involved some days off to give people some time to cool down. This is not a reflection on you as a poster, merely that this is an intense subject.

I get that this is a fairly intense topic about which opinion can diverge rather significantly. If you feel you cannot be respectful in your disagreement with another poster, it is frequently better to refuse to engage than it is to take up the call.

From this point, any poster who finds themselves directly insulting another poster will find themselves receiving a threadban and an infraction, with each subsequent reoccurance resulting in steadily more points added to your account.

It has also become apparent that this needs to be said: just because someone moderates this forum that does not hold them to a different standard of posting than anyone else. All of us were posters first, and we are allowed to hold opinions on this and share them on this forum.

Treat each other with the respect each of you deserve.

Maggie5 Gone Critical Anzacday Jen2310

Britain took control of the Chagos Islands, of which Diego Garcia is part, from its then colony, Mauritius, in 1965. It went on to evict its population of more than 1,000 people to make way for the military base.

Mauritius, which won independence from the UK in 1968, maintains that the islands are its own and the United Nations' highest court has ruled that the UK's administration of the territory is "unlawful" and must end.

The US has leased a base on the islands.

Macron is a political genius. Seeing his left opposition in disarray, he seizes the initiative to call an early election, given that the only other significant party is the fascists surely that would see him vacuum up the left votes and increase the power of his party. Instead after the first round he sees his party in 3rd position and is forced to endorse his opposition, seeing them gain the biggest share and likely the prime ministership.

It’s 4d chess I tell you.

Not one word about the Russians killing children in a children’s hospital today.
Why am I not surprised?
So many posters here down the antisemitism rabbit hole they don’t see anything else in the world.

No one mentioned Israel's bombing of a hospital and killing of children the other day either.

Guess that no one cares anymore.

To be honest, I managed to be shocked but not surprised yesterday at the mixed responses of world leaders.

Israel bombs a hospital and kills children, followed by little mention in the media and no comment from world leaders.

Russia bombs a hospital and it is decried by world leaders and media alike, all of which call out Putin's moral depravity.

Putin obviously didn't use the magic word: HAMAS.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Australia has appointed a new envoy for anti-semitism.

I wonder what happened to that envoy who was going to find out how zomi frankcom was murdered by the IDF.

I thought it was a mistake to appoint a gentile in the zomi frankcom matter.

More crocodile tears by an outgoing israeli official. Evidently experienced a vision on the road to damascus on the way out of the miliary, and has discovered that the raids and settlement expansions on the west bank arent in line with his parent's concept of judaism. What a shame he cant go to confession.

Just more PR for the waste bin....

No one mentioned Israel's bombing of a hospital and killing of children the other day either.

Guess that no one cares anymore.

To be fair, the israelis have bombed a lot of hospitals. It's hard to keep up with the israelis but the last figures that I saw had about 24 hospitals of the original 36 knocked out.

“Israel’s intentional and targeted starvation campaign against the Palestinian people is a form of genocidal violence and has resulted in famine across all of Gaza,” 10 independent UN experts said in a statement on Tuesday.

The ten UN experts actually volunteer for this panel - they are unpaid positions. They include Israeli favourite Francesca Albanese. She will be lucky if she gets out of the gaza conflict alive in the coming years...

Is the life of an Israeli 6 year old girl more valuable than a Palestine 6 year old girl?

I think the current valuation is about 100 palestinian 6 year olds to each Israeli 6 year old.....although I doubt that you could find an israeli supporter that puts any value on palestinians.

For those of you who arent australian citizens yet or maybe you have relatives who might want to become australian citizens in the future, consider the situation in the former East German state of Saxony-Anhalt.

Recognizing Israel’s right to exist is now mandatory for those who want to become German citizens in that state of the German federation.

Applicants living in Saxony-Anhalt will have to confirm in writing “that they recognize Israel’s right to exist and condemn any efforts directed against the existence of the State of Israel.” Saxony-Anhalt’s interior minister, Tamara Zieschang, a member of the center-right Christian Democratic Union party, said Tuesday that the rule went into effect at the end of November 2023.

The new requirement is likely to be adopted by the full German parliament.

This is the next legislative step for Australia. Expect to see similar requirements for Australian citizenship in the future......

Israel drops bombs wrapped with metal which is designed to fragment into small pieces.

These pierce bodies with small entry and exit wounds whilst slashing the inside of the body.

Especially in crowded areas, they seem designed to cause as many casualties as possible, and are a particular danger to children.

Feroze Sidhwa, a trauma surgeon from California, worked at the European hospital in southern Gaza in April.

“About half of the injuries I took care of were in young kids. We saw a lot of so-called splinter injuries that were very, very small to the point that you easily missed them while examining a patient. Much, much smaller than anything I’ve seen before but they caused tremendous damage on the inside,” he said.

Weapons experts said the shrapnel and wounds are consistent with Israeli-made weapons designed to create large numbers of casualties unlike more conventional weapons used to destroy buildings. The experts question why they are being fired into areas packed with civilians.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back